The Official Tennis Thread (Vol. 2024 French Open)

In other news, Fognini might become a Grand Slam Doubles Champion in an hour or so.
indifferent.gif

Good fight by Masha in the 2nd, but Serena's serve was just too good... 

And credit to her classy speech in defeat.  I couldn't have been easy.

2015+Australian+Open+Day+13+yaE-NOhJAsYx.jpg

2015+Australian+Open+Day+13+rumOGA5KKvWx.jpg

2015+Australian+Open+Day+13+QWTgIM232Itx.jpg

2015+Australian+Open+Day+13+-0cs2Ac8S6xx.jpg

Maria+Sharapova+2015+Australian+Open+Day+13+RjYX_9L9N_px.jpg

2015+Australian+Open+Day+13+4f_NjOZjVS0x.jpg

2015+Australian+Open+Day+13+54gTOEU9gtmx.jpg

In other news, Fognini might become a Grand Slam Doubles Champion in an hour or so.
indifferent.gif
2015+Australian+Open+Day+13+drU_rwJlVkJx.jpg

The prelude to that match had me motivated. :lol:

To be honest, I was pulling for Maria, but yeah...Serena was too good. After Sharapova lost the first break point on her first service of the match, I just felt it wouldn't go her way. Even though it was really early in the match and only one game, the margin of error is so small if you play Serena when she's on her game -- and she was. Oh well.

The sarcasm Serena had was hilarious to me

The one point where she yelled come on and they called interference so the next point she whispered come on :lol:

Then the championship point where they called net and the next serve was a ace .. and she calmly went over and didn't celebrate :lol:

She knows these people can't stand her and she loves seeing them tight

Tonight/tomorrow's match should be real interesting. I don't see Novak duplicating his performance in the semi's and Andy is looking as good as I've ever seen him. I could honestly see this as a five set toss up in either players' favor, but I'm gonna go with Andy in a tight five setter.

I don't care who wins the men's finals as long as it's not Nadal. Lol I want Federer to have the record for as long as possible. I prefer Novak > Murray though.

The one point where she yelled come on and they called interference so the next point she whispered come on
laugh.gif
That was pretty LOL considering her previous encounter with hindrance... but she didn't argue... it was the right call. 

I don't care who wins the men's finals as long as it's not Nadal. Lol I want Federer to have the record for as long as possible. I prefer Novak > Murray though.
Exactly how I feel. 

If Federer isn't playing, I don't really care whose winning. Would like to see Murray win though, maybe cause its an underdog thing. Should be a good game.

Some great tennis in that 1st set... but Nole just edged it out on a DOH shot by Murray. 

The 1st half of the 2nd set was so poor... the improvement has been incredible... 

Good battle... but the 3rd and 4th sets dropped in a hurry... Murray had some decent looks... couldn't convert. 

It looked like Nole was going to cruise through that 1st set until he hurt this thumb. I thought that set could've went either way after that happened... The quality of the match dipped a bit during the 2nd set, but it was still solid in the end. Both players showed fatigue in the 3rd set, but you could tell Murray's legs pretty much gave out on him. After that, Andy just seemed to lose all confidence.

Overall, I'd have to say the first Slam of the year was pretty entertaining. Both the men's and women's finals were very solid.

Oh, and congrats to Martina Hingis for winning the Mixed Doubles final.

Last edited:
Average tournament imo, always good to see a GS but Fed not reaching the QFs was probably the biggest story.

Gutted for Maria obviously, but her serve is looking so much better, hopefully she'll retain the French title on her favorite surface. Congrats to Serena though, fully deserved #19

Smh at the British commentators accusing Djok of cheating and bad sportsmanship... he won fair and square... Murray faded away mentally and physically and just wasn't good enough on the day, simple as that.

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree with that bit about Nole.  I'm neutral on both guys, but even Nole admitted that he felt the physical effects of the match... and it's not like he called for a MTO.  We've seen him have balance issues before so it's nothing new... it just seems like one of those things that happens to him.  Even Murray admitted that he let those issues with Nole bother him, adding that it shouldn't have.  Murray had his chances in the 3rd... missed them... then completely folded in the 4th, while Nole loosened up.  

Andy+Murray+2015+Australian+Open+Day+14+_wVF84xLtAwx.jpg

Last edited:
Aepps' post Australian Open thoughts

1. Too much drama and extracurricular activities from Murray for my tastes.

2. Madison Keys has all the tools to be a great player. Hopefully under Davenport's guidance she won't be another flame out like Clown Stephens.

3. Bouchard needs to add more variety to her game ASAP. That match against Maria was awful. She doesn't have enough power to play without margin. She can either hit the weight room or change tactics.

4. Excellent tournaments from Vika and Rafa. I didn't have high expectations for either but they are going to be problems in the spring and summer.

5. Nole is a beast. I think this will be one of his best years ever.

6. Kyrgios will be a beast once he gets more experience.

7. Showtime had a disappointing tournament.

8. Serena is living up to the high expectations her talent affords. I don't know how many more slams she'll get but we are seeing something truly special.

Back
Top Bottom