The Official Tennis Thread (Vol. 2024 Oz Open Nadal Out)

i think Gasquet will do it, he's long overdue. I'm so pulling for Fed, just one more time. I think he can beat Murray but would struggle in the final because of the short turnaround.

maria looking average out there 
mean.gif

Serena still doesn't get enough credit for what she's really doing.

She should be all over the sports media right now.

Most dominant athlete in the world.

This. We are literally witnessing greatness and some of these fools in the media only begrudgingly give her credit while desperately trying to hype up players to her level (Maria) or hoping someone beats her. For years we hear about how Steffi had 22 majors but as soon as Serena gets close we start hearing about Margarette Court who tennis fans have known for years has more majors than Steffi but most of her majors were racked up before the open era.

A female tennis player isn't going to be all over sports shows no matter what she's accomplishing. It's the nfl offseason and that still takes up most of the stories along with nba free agency.

Managed to snag a couple of centre court tickets for tomorrow's semi finals. Very excited for Murray v Federer. I say my man in 4.

This. We are literally witnessing greatness and some of these fools in the media only begrudgingly give her credit while desperately trying to hype up players to her level (Maria) or hoping someone beats her. For years we hear about how Steffi had 22 majors but as soon as Serena gets close we start hearing about Margarette Court who tennis fans have known for years has more majors than Steffi but most of her majors were racked up before the open era.

Funny how things work out like that :rolleyes

Fact is, she's the greatest to ever do it. Steffi had a much easier run with less tennis to be played per year.

They just don't want to see Serena shine. :smh:

Just saw the score v Sharapova

" Serena Williams brutally dispatches Maria Sharapova to reach final" Ouch

Favorite quote from the article:
“It’s been a long time since I got this far in the tournament,” said Williams. “It wasn’t easy out there. It was interesting.”

Not easy? Williams made this look more straightforward than the Fosse Way, a direct line to her 25th grand slam final

17 consecutive loses to the same person spread over a decade of time, that's rough.

“It’s been a long time since I got this far in the tournament,” said Williams. “It wasn’t easy out there. It was interesting.”

Not easy? Williams made this look more straightforward than the Fosse Way, a direct line to her 25th grand slam final

17 consecutive loses to the same person spread over a decade of time, that's rough.

Showing respect to her opponent.

Showing respect to her opponent.

Yeah i know. That was part of the qoute. I'm on mobile and didn't know how to put the quote box around it. The very last part is me though

Last edited:
Weird that maria won her first major against serena at Wimbledon and it seems like it's been downhill against her ever since. I remember how surprising it was to watch live.

Serena will need to play much better to beat Garbine. She played much better against Vee and Vika.

Maria's ball toss is off. If you compare her service action from 10 years ago to now her service toss was much more consistent back then. It's pretty wayward at present. However service problems or not Serena just has her number. She is back to number 2 in the world where she deserves to be IMO.

Regarding the so called non love for Serena in the media I can only comment on British media but here the British TV commentators are pretty much in awe of her. Even against Heather there was total respect for the way she thought back from two then three breaks down in the final set.
I think there are a few reasons Steffi gets more respect. Firstly she is no longer playing and the media always praise and hold in higher regard players after they retired than when they play. Secondly at the moment she does have more slams and she also did the golden slam in the same calendar year. Also she conducted her business very professionally with the minimum fuss which has not always been the case with Serena. Finally and on a light hearted note she is married to tennis most popular iconic star!

Back
Top Bottom