!!!The Official Troy Ave thread: Major Without a Deal online and in stores 6/9/15!!!

pimp.gif

The real reason this album is disappointing is because Troy Ave is completely unremarkable as an emcee. He's a hollow rapper with no unique trait or style. He drifts through songs such as "Love You/How I'm On It" and "Young King" with no real concept of flow or knowing when to change tone. "Do Me No Favors" does Troy no favors, with a hook sung in the style of a pre-puberty teenage boy. It's bad. Lazy hooks are a regular occurrence throughout the album, meaning that verses are tied together through slurred words rather than snappy choruses. Yet, the production is strong enough as a platform for a dope emcee to weave their words on. "Doo Doo" and "Bang Bang" are bangers and are let down by the forgettable verses, although the former is a track that has potential to be a "Hey Ma" style single. Other than that though, it's a hard sell.

"It can't be that bad, can it?" Perhaps my expectations were too high given the hype surrounding Troy Ave (or Troy Average as the Internet has coined) but if you can live without throwaway verses from the likes of Fiddy and Fab, and a song-stealing appearance from Snoop Dogg on "Anytime", you're not missing much. They should have just called this "Major Disappointment, What's the Deal?".

Part of a review that songs things up for me.

The real reason this album is disappointing is because Troy Ave is completely unremarkable as an emcee. He's a hollow rapper with no unique trait or style. He drifts through songs such as "Love You/How I'm On It" and "Young King" with no real concept of flow or knowing when to change tone. "Do Me No Favors" does Troy no favors, with a hook sung in the style of a pre-puberty teenage boy. It's bad. Lazy hooks are a regular occurrence throughout the album, meaning that verses are tied together through slurred words rather than snappy choruses. Yet, the production is strong enough as a platform for a dope emcee to weave their words on. "Doo Doo" and "Bang Bang" are bangers and are let down by the forgettable verses, although the former is a track that has potential to be a "Hey Ma" style single. Other than that though, it's a hard sell.

"It can't be that bad, can it?" Perhaps my expectations were too high given the hype surrounding Troy Ave (or Troy Average as the Internet has coined) but if you can live without throwaway verses from the likes of Fiddy and Fab, and a song-stealing appearance from Snoop Dogg on "Anytime", you're not missing much. They should have just called this "Major Disappointment, What's the Deal?".

Part of a review that songs things up for me.

Same here. His New York City project was real good to me. That and combined with him building own hype got my expectations up for this album but it's lacking. It's bland as hell. New York City had some joints on it Classic Feel, Cigar Smoke, Everything, My Grind. Not one song on here stood out. I respect his grind and I don't mind his cockyness at all but this album ain't much.

Last edited:
Damn man, I'm like only one of a handful of dudes rocking with this.

laugh.gif

Welp...

A ***** hardly write but i did this time

Whipping up the white, yeah you know his rhyme

All he talk is dealing, baller ****, and killing

That's what the **** I'm seeing on my way to a million

Now would you rather I be broke?

A struggle rapper for your laughter with no hope?

These ****** lead you to disaster in they quotes

It was depressing every time them ****** wrote

I talk about getting the most...

pimp.gif

Troy Ave calls into Sway in the morning to address the Joey Badass beef

Soundcloud link to the audio of the call:

People don't like Troy but his diss was a nice record. Disrespectful yes, but in regards to Joey.....you can't be disrespectful talking about his album sales and then get mad when he comes back disrespectful. You can't say "You can be disrespectful but only by so much....".

Calling out his mans that offed himself does nothing to increase his credibility, lyrical prowess, or record sales. Dude is a clown for that, imo. I agree with what you all are saying about a response being necessary, but let the dead rest.

Honestly i don't know when this switch was made, but cats gotta realize that hiphop beefs have always been extremely disrespectful in some instances. Lines will get crossed, now as long as Troy is willing to deal with whatever repercussions come from what he said i can't really be too mad. He did cross the line but thats something that has and will continue to happen in hiphop beef.

There's no "switch". Like you said, he crossed the line. And that's fine. Pac crossed the line.

But not everyone takes it there. Talking about a dudes album sales vs. a dude's dead homie aren't even comparable.

Once upon a time, you could crack jokes on a dude all day.

But if you talked about mothers, you'd get punched in the mouth. So it was on the individual if they wanted to go there.

Plenty of "beefs" have been about dudes taking shots at each other and leaving all that extra **** out of it.

Last edited:
He put the flame to Joey with the disrespect.

Boys in here sounding soft.

You shouldn't throw shots if you not prepared for what might come back honestly, you call a man out in public and all bets are off.

Honestly i don't know when this switch was made, but cats gotta realize that hiphop beefs have always been extremely disrespectful in some instances. Lines will get crossed, now as long as Troy is willing to deal with whatever repercussions come from what he said i can't really be too mad. He did cross the line but thats something that has and will continue to happen in hiphop beef.
This. I love it. Ain't no rules in this ****. As long as he prepared for whatever comes after I don't mind it. We need more of this.

The fact that he took it there just means he aint really have much else to respond to Joey with. He felt like he had to throw that shot in order to have a chance...hes that kinda dude that u say a lil joke to and he takes offense to it heavy & throw some unnecessary low blow cuz he feels like he had overcompensate for his embarrassment. Pathetic really :lol: oh well he bout to get killed on wax by all of Pro Era & prob his *** beat...

I liked it. Not great but wasn't bad. Had some good lines. I liked the 90s Herb and revenge of the nerds line. Nothing is off limits when it comes to diss records. I like the disrespect. Didn't Joey start it?

He put the flame to Joey with the disrespect.

Boys in here sounding soft.

You shouldn't throw shots if you not prepared for what might come back honestly, you call a man out in public and all bets are off.

Soft? These dudes are RAPPING. :lol:

They both from Brooklyn. We've seen how it can go when dudes have problems and they're in the same city.

Talking about some dude who's in a box is some sucker **** to me. If that's "hard rock" to the next man, so be it.

But "hard rocks" are perfectly capable of sucker **** too.

I think he took it too far but he knew what he was doing so it is what it is. Dudes ain't earning stripes over **** like this.

Last edited:
I liked it. Not great but wasn't bad. Had some good lines. I liked the 90s Herb and revenge of the nerds line. Nothing is off limits when it comes to diss records. I like the disrespect. Didn't Joey start it?

Actually i think Troy did by saying Joey a fake independent artist & that hes signed to Sony on the low. Which wouldnt even surprise me cause Joey album was in stores EVERYWHERE & indy artists dont usually have albums in store like that. Then last week on Joey last track, Ready, Joey basically had a line saying how much he sold last year, how Troy mad at the 80/20 split on his contract & how his boy Kirk Knight outsold Troy too...

Soft? These dudes are RAPPING. :lol:

They both from Brooklyn. We've seen how it can go when dudes have problems and they're in the same city.

Talking about some dude who's in a box is some sucker **** to me. If that's "hard rock" to the next man, so be it.

But "hard rocks" are perfectly capable of sucker **** too.

I think he took it too far but he knew what he was doing so it is what it is. Dudes ain't earning stripes over **** like this.

View media item 1781871

Actually i think Troy did by saying Joey a fake independent artist & that hes signed to Sony on the low. Which wouldnt even surprise me cause Joey album was in stores EVERYWHERE & indy artists dont usually have albums in store like that. Then last week on Joey last track, Ready, Joey basically had a line saying how much he sold last year, how Troy mad at the 80/20 split on his contract & how his boy Kirk Knight outsold Troy too...

If I remember correctly, Troy claimed he was the #1 independent artist in the US, Joey compared his sales to Troy's, and that's what set it.

Joey kind of took the first shot.

Damn, that gif was hard.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom