The State of the Shoe Game

Originally Posted by roora85

to everyone who is complaining, stop complaining. only losers complain.

information widely available online made the situation what it is today. back then there was no such info unless you heard it from a shop or etc so it made it easier to get. its only going to get worse.

when was the last time people knew about releases months in advance?

also dont blame resellers messing up everything. NONE of you would sell the shoes for what you bought it for. you would take market value on any shoe. resellers were there since the beginning of time.
Thats what I'am talking about..

We are the problem. Everyone on niketalk contributes to the "HYPE" of a shoe. Celebs see the hype and interest that is generating and add to the "HYPE" (think Nelly air force One's) by wearing what we all want in your fav video/@ your nearest arena or just out on the street. And people being greedy thinking they can make a quick and easy profit off a shoe by getting a extra pair "HOPING" to sell for a hundred dollars more. I hope this extra attention is just a fad cause if not the worse is yet to come just imagine a "SNEAKER TV SHOW" then everyone under the sun will be hunting for sneakers like its the "GREASTEST IPHONE" ever made.  I am sure more people found out about niketalk from word of mouth instead of google. The Blame is "OURSELVES" and  the solution ? take niketalk back underground dont talk about the "fight club" concept. Come to nike talk say your peace and stay away from  "Blogs" sneakernews/files etc. We are indirectly killing the game.

A lot of complaining and crying going on in here, no its not the way it used to be but nothing nowadays is....all you have to do is ride it out until everybody finds something else to get into. I don't like the fact that I have to camp for almost every retro but I just adapt to it n make sure Im two steps ahead of the next person. Resellers are only as bad as the price youre willing to pay

Originally Posted by HaywoodJablomi

Glad I retired when I did. Too many hypebeasts/resellers out there.

Curious, and a serious question:  Why did you retire and join a sneaker community message board afterwards?

nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Space DooDoo Pistols

the culture's been dead to me for years.

i remember seeing the same heads at foot locker since '97. fast forward about 10 years and it's all kids and piece of trash resellers. it sucks having to try 5 different websites and call from two phones just to try and get my size before some pig takes it and tries to flip it on ebay for a $100 profit.

i don't disparage the youth so much, the youth that never saw Mike play, the youth that don't remember their parents being scared ishless over the possibility of getting shoe-jacked. it's those resellers.

i remember one guy at the Space Jam release (i was there with my boy who was the manager because i didn't believe kids were acting like fools over these) walking out holding his box in the air hollerin' "TENNAHALF 400 BUCKS" and this dude i know that worked at the theater bombing on his chin, taking the box and dropping 2 bills on him as he lay on the ground. 'twas gorgeous.

the best thing ive ever read on nt

Originally Posted by thisizdray

The biggest Issue is that people feed the resellers. Paying rediculous prices like 400 for the big bang lebron 9s and 2500 for those galaxy foams gives them all the incentive in the world to camp for days to sell a sneaker.... The price of the lebrons are now falling as wise people realize they are not worth that much....
This. Like a stray cat. If you don't feed it won't come around.

Originally Posted by IStoleYourThunder

Originally Posted by roora85

to everyone who is complaining, stop complaining. only losers complain.

information widely available online made the situation what it is today. back then there was no such info unless you heard it from a shop or etc so it made it easier to get. its only going to get worse.

when was the last time people knew about releases months in advance?

also dont blame resellers messing up everything. NONE of you would sell the shoes for what you bought it for. you would take market value on any shoe. resellers were there since the beginning of time.
Thats what I'am talking about..

We are the problem. Everyone on niketalk contributes to the "HYPE" of a shoe. Celebs see the hype and interest that is generating and add to the "HYPE" (think Nelly air force One's) by wearing what we all want in your fav video/@ your nearest arena or just out on the street. And people being greedy thinking they can make a quick and easy profit off a shoe by getting a extra pair "HOPING" to sell for a hundred dollars more. I hope this extra attention is just a fad cause if not the worse is yet to come just imagine a "SNEAKER TV SHOW" then everyone under the sun will be hunting for sneakers like its the "GREASTEST IPHONE" ever made.  I am sure more people found out about niketalk from word of mouth instead of google. The Blame is "OURSELVES" and  the solution ? take niketalk back underground dont talk about the "fight club" concept. Come to nike talk say your peace and stay away from  "Blogs" sneakernews/files etc. We are indirectly killing the game.

Maybe an "Invite only" Niketalk

Originally Posted by rojanjon

Curious, and a serious question:  Why did you retire and join a sneaker community message board afterwards?

nerd.gif
laugh.gif

Seriously though, I haven't been doing this for as long as some guys but things seem definitely out of hand. I remember seeing the Chaos Kobe Vs sit at footlockers in my area (I was fresh out of college and broke). There were limited releases but not like now. Nowadays seems like every shoe attached to a special date or nickname sells out without people even questioning it, but we all know that. I wonder if those silver anniversary  IVs would sell out instantly if they were released this year?

My thing has always been never to line up, never pay over retail (or buy from non-retail stores for that matter), and never buy used shoes (I don't care if they are vvnds). Lining up just never made sense to me since I tend to avoid lines everywhere I can. As for not even buying from non-retailers, I just feel like even if you are paying retail it still helps resellers. If they bought x amount of pairs hoping to sell for a higher amount, but just ended up selling all of them for retail, it makes their investment a safe one and they continue to repeat the pattern until they score an over retail sale.

I feel like there is a sneaker bubble here that is set to collapse soon. These kicks are being way overvalued right now. Lots of people, including those who think they like sneakers, are going to be left with a lot of 'worthless' pairs of shoes. Lot's of peoples' investments aren't going to pan out so well.

There are too many kicks out there now and coming up to worry about a pair too much. You might miss one now, but there is plenty coming through the pipeline.

I agree with you 100%. The community put itself in this position though. Another thing is collector or reseller, everyone is just trying to eat. Both just have different appetites.

Originally Posted by 23SOLE

Originally Posted by JJ Jumpman 23

i will never understand when buying/collecting shoes became a "game."
I totally agree... or why is it even considered a "culture"?.. It's just shoes.. buy..collect...obsess
i have been saying the same thing for years 
this is and has been self obsessed "culture" of spending money 

thats the bottom line 

ill continue to collect but i cant stand the state of the shoe game... i been collecting since the laney 5's... never looked back since. stopped for a while but then got back into it....i love my shoes...

I know OP is older but in certain areas like Houston TX for example, its always been HARD to get jordans, expecially XI's V's XIII's since 2000.....

When the cool greys first released in 01.....a riot broke out in First colony mall and the shoes were shipped out, just like the foam galaxy release....

maybe reselling wasnt as big as it was then but for certain models, XI's.....black red XIII's the supply will ALWAYS be less than the demand....

A lot of you guys on here sound like drug addicts blaming the drug dealer for supplying them with drugs.  "The resellers bought up all the pairs so I HAD to buy at Kobe in Colorado prices."  No, you didn't have to do anything.  You could have waited until hype dies down and buy at the lowest possible price.  People need to start taking responsibility for themselves; if you didn't buy shoes at inflated prices, then resellers would have no one to sell to.  If it's all about the actual love for the shoe/a piece of Michael's mystique, then why does it matter when you have it, nor how many people have it?  

At the same time, I have no problems with people reselling whatsoever.  Reselling is a basic principle of how the world works.....what exactly is it do you guys think FNL, FL, Eastbay, etc, do selling their shoes?  A lot of people conveniently forget that resellers can create value as well; there are plenty of people out there that do not mind paying over retail to secure a shoe just so they don't have to camp in line or sit in front of their computer for 2 hours praying they can get through on NDC or Eastbay.  Don't forget that time is money as well.

If you want to be in the "shoe game", then you're just going to have to accept how it works, once you've made your decision.  It's either that or change the game yourself, but you may not like the end result. Concords consistently on the shelves, anyone?  I'm down for that, but I'm sure a lot of you guys won't be.

nerd.gif
I joined back in '04 when I started collecting, but haven't posted since '06.   I forgot my password here and for my email attached to my account.  I'm on NT mainly for General, but I lurk the JB forums every now and then.

Originally Posted by Chato

nerd.gif
laugh.gif

Seriously though, I haven't been doing this for as long as some guys but things seem definitely out of hand. I remember seeing the Chaos Kobe Vs sit at footlockers in my area (I was fresh out of college and broke). There were limited releases but not like now. Nowadays seems like every shoe attached to a special date or nickname sells out without people even questioning it, but we all know that. I wonder if those silver anniversary  IVs would sell out instantly if they were released this year?

My thing has always been never to line up, never pay over retail (or buy from non-retail stores for that matter), and never buy used shoes (I don't care if they are vvnds). Lining up just never made sense to me since I tend to avoid lines everywhere I can. As for not even buying from non-retailers, I just feel like even if you are paying retail it still helps resellers. If they bought x amount of pairs hoping to sell for a higher amount, but just ended up selling all of them for retail, it makes their investment a safe one and they continue to repeat the pattern until they score an over retail sale.

I feel like there is a sneaker bubble here that is set to collapse soon. These kicks are being way overvalued right now. Lots of people, including those who think they like sneakers, are going to be left with a lot of 'worthless' pairs of shoes. Lot's of peoples' investments aren't going to pan out so well.

There are too many kicks out there now and coming up to worry about a pair too much. You might miss one now, but there is plenty coming through the pipeline.
I agree with you for the most part Chato.  The only thing different with me is I have lined up once, which was for the DMP's.  Camped for 10 hours, didn't get it.  That was the one and only time I have/will camp. 

"There are too many kicks out there now and coming up to worry about a pair too much. You might miss one now, but there is plenty coming through the pipeline." 

100% Truth

Back
Top Bottom