THE THREAD ABOUT SKATEBOARDING.

How was Woodward? I remember always wanting to go as a kid.

Unreal. Ate breakfast with Dave Mirra. Skated with dudes like Kenny Hughes, Andy Mac, Anthony Furlong. Counselors were cool as hell and also skated so it was easy to gain rapport. Met some awesome people from around the country. The skaters, bladers, and bikers were all housed in separate clusters of cabins so we had a little competition/rivalry thing going on. Dude in my cabin took a BMXers bike and threw it off of the Titanic (biggest vert ramp) there. :lol:

Gymnastics camp was next door, so being a teenage male was :smokin

Played late night dodgeball with the entire camp inside one of the indoor parks (Egypt or something like that, all pyramids).

Unlimited free gear, junk food. Pretty much heaven if you're a kid and skate, blade, or bike.

This was a great doc on Christian Hosoi

If you have Netflix, the Bones Brigade doc is available. I was amazed to find out the difficulty Lance Mountain dealt with being part of the team & the pain Mullen grew up with...

How was Woodward? I remember always wanting to go as a kid.
Unreal. Ate breakfast with Dave Mirra. Skated with dudes like Kenny Hughes, Andy Mac, Anthony Furlong. Counselors were cool as hell and also skated so it was easy to gain rapport. Met some awesome people from around the country. The skaters, bladers, and bikers were all housed in separate clusters of cabins so we had a little competition/rivalry thing going on. Dude in my cabin took a BMXers bike and threw it off of the Titanic (biggest vert ramp) there.
laugh.gif

Gymnastics camp was next door, so being a teenage male was
smokin.gif

Played late night dodgeball with the entire camp inside one of the indoor parks (Egypt or something like that, all pyramids).

Unlimited free gear, junk food. Pretty much heaven if you're a kid and skate, blade, or bike.
I can vouch for all of this.  Spent 4 weeks at Woodward back when I was in high school.  If I could relive any time of my life over again, it would be those weeks without question.  Having Harold Hunter teach me how to pick up girls is one of my prized memories. 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Got really into skateboarding in 1996.

Went to Camp Woodward PA in 1999
smokin.gif

Favorite board: Tom Penny Flip circa 1998

Favorite skateboarders growing up: Geoff Rowley, Daewon Song

Phased out of my life in 2003.

Still check for videos, news and certain comps. I guess you could call me an advocate or big supporter of the sport.
How was Woodward in 99? 
nerd.gif
 Must have been really small compared to now. They're adding new parks and courses continuously. 

How was Woodward in 99? :nerd:  Must have been really small compared to now. They're adding new parks and courses continuously. 

It was still big, coming from Boston in 98 where there weren't many parks. I'm guessing it's just bigger now. They actually had a reality show (not sure if they're still filming) all about Woodward PA. If I was in my early 20's, I would consider being a counselor during the summer.

Always thought it was cool that my high school is home to a couple of famous skate spots. The notorious Leap of Faith, and this 12 stair have been seen numerous times in the skateboarding world.

Also found this Mystery deck at the 12 stair several years back when pros would regularly skate that spot. It shows you how soon sponsored guys get rid of their gear. To us regular guys this deck is barely used but they decided it was trash :lol:

View media item 564924View media item 564923View media item 564926

This one is dedicated to you OP. Steve Berra signed copy of The End

This is my all time favorite. Heath Kirchart signed copy of Sight Unseen. It's funny because my friends and I used to think this handrail looked so crazy on video. 10+ years later I'm focused on my education, just by chance I ended up going to school where this rail is and I get to see it everyday in person
smokin.gif
yoooooooo 
nthat.gif
 cherish that dvd my man. i was looking for the vhs so if one day i make it inside the berrics, i can have him sign it.

where are those stairs? kirchart was one of my favorites growing up as well, i use to rock the same red long sleeve button up and black dickies on the daily bc of him 
laugh.gif

his emericas
nthat.gif

Unreal. Ate breakfast with Dave Mirra. Skated with dudes like Kenny Hughes, Andy Mac, Anthony Furlong. Counselors were cool as hell and also skated so it was easy to gain rapport. Met some awesome people from around the country. The skaters, bladers, and bikers were all housed in separate clusters of cabins so we had a little competition/rivalry thing going on. Dude in my cabin took a BMXers bike and threw it off of the Titanic (biggest vert ramp) there.
laugh.gif

Gymnastics camp was next door, so being a teenage male was
smokin.gif

man, that sounds like the experience of a lifetime. all kinds of shenanigans 
laugh.gif

If you have Netflix, the Bones Brigade doc is available. I was amazed to find out the difficulty Lance Mountain dealt with being part of the team & the pain Mullen grew up with...

been meaning to watch that hosoi doc, you just reminded me.

no way, the bones brigade is on netflix!? i was so bummed i missed the premier, i've been wanting to buy it but i'll check it out first, thanks for the heads up.
Wish I could watch "the reason" again. Best transworld vid imo

Always thought it was cool that my high school is home to a couple of famous skate spots. The notorious Leap of Faith, and this 12 stair have been seen numerous times in the skateboarding world.

Also found this Mystery deck at the 12 stair several years back when pros would regularly skate that spot. It shows you how soon sponsored guys get rid of their gear. To us regular guys this deck is barely used but they decided it was trash
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

lindsey robertson 
nthat.gif
 haven't heard his name in a LOOONG time, one of the best heelflips.

where is this as well? 
nerd.gif

Totally forgot about this part.  One of the most underrated parts from the 2000s.  Still not sure how or why this one flew under the radar for a lot of people:

Reactions: Ox.
Wow what a great thread.  I started skating around 2005 but I was never too great at it, always loved cruising around tho

Recently bought a nice complete for around 60 bucks on the bay

One of my favorite parts EVER:

Here's another great doc on Mark "Gator" Rogowski whose still in prison for murder. He was sentenced on March 6, 1992 & received a 31-year prison sentence. He was denied parole a couple of years ago but eligable again in either 2017-2018...

Last edited:

Wow what a great thread.  I started skating around 2005 but I was never too great at it, always loved cruising around tho

Forgot about this part.  Came out when I was a senior in high school.  Blew my mind.  Trapasso progressed so much in the few years between Bootleg 3000 and this.  So smooth.

Forgot about this part.  Came out when I was a senior in high school.  Blew my mind.  Trapasso progressed so much in the few years between Bootleg 3000 and this.  So smooth.
I was hyped when I found out he was on Converse and started his own board company

I think all these new board companies popping up are great

Here's another great doc on Mark "Gator" Rogowski whose still in prison for murder. He was sentenced on March 6, 1992 & received a 31-year prison sentence. He was denied parole a couple of years ago but eligable again in either 2017-2018...
I saw this on a website the other day as it was on a list for best skate movies/docs.

Need to find the full doc though. 
nerd.gif

yoooooooo 
nthat.gif

cherish that dvd my man. i was looking for the vhs so if one day i make it inside the berrics, i can have him sign it.
where are those stairs? kirchart was one of my favorites growing up as well, i use to rock the same red long sleeve button up and black dickies on the daily bc of him :lol:
his emericas:nthat:

:lol:  
lindsey robertson :nthat:  haven't heard his name in a LOOONG time, one of the best heelflips.
where is this as well? :nerd:

The Kirchart spot is at UCLA. The handrail is knobbed now, though. No kidding about the Kirchart Emericas. My friend had those and they were indestructible. I skated a lot of Emericas back then too. I had the Marc Johnsons, Ed Templetons, Reynolds 1 and 2....they made great shoes.

The Leap of Faith & that 12 stair is at Point Loma High School down in San Diego. They blocked off the leap of faith with an elevator as schools began making everything handicapped accessible. I think the 12 stair is still around but it has no runway anymore.

Totally forgot about this part.  One of the most underrated parts from the 2000s.  Still not sure how or why this one flew under the radar for a lot of people:
sucks i missed out on so much skateboarding (videos/pics) bc i wasn't really into the internet up until a couple years ago 
laugh.gif

david 
mean.gif

he's so good. just hate that he's my age and a great all around skater, his possessed part 
sick.gif

nthat.gif
 trapasso, his converse are so nice, definitely will pick them up.

and i agree with you on the small skate companies coming up, one reason i stopped skating for a bit was bc of the direction it was going. too mainstream and seeing it in commercials with kids and being all friendly and acceptable 
mean.gif

luckily in the year 2000 when i started, skating was still frowned upon and had that "attitude" about it, a lot of that is coming back with these small companies being started by skaters strictly for skateboarding.
i remember seeing this somewhere 
mean.gif

definitely need to find the full version.
The Kirchart spot is at UCLA. The handrail is knobbed now, though. No kidding about the Kirchart Emericas. My friend had those and they were indestructible. I skated a lot of Emericas back then too. I had the Marc Johnsons, Ed Templetons, Reynolds 1 and 2....they made great shoes.

The Leap of Faith & that 12 stair is at Point Loma High School down in San Diego. They blocked off the leap of faith with an elevator as schools began making everything handicapped accessible. I think the 12 stair is still around but it has no runway anymore.
sick.gif
 damn 
mean.gif

the templetons 
nthat.gif
 forgot about those.

One of my favorite Ad campaigns I can remember. Emerica used to give out these "G" stickers for kids to place on top of No Skateboarding signs.

View media item 565217
I had 3 pairs of the first Reynolds shoe. I liked this brown suede pair the most. I remember a lot of kids clowned me with these because skate shoes were always bland colors like black, grey, etc. These stood out back then, I thought they were :smokin
View media item 565222

Last edited:
I have fond memories of skating around Baltimore City, trying to talk to girls at the harbor, hanging out in Fells. Back pack with my yellow Sony Walkman sport with a mix tape containing the latest from Public Enemy, Brand Nubian, Circle Jerks, The Faction, Dead Kennedys,, & Bad Brains. Ahhh, the good ol days...

My favorite skater of all time...

Last edited:

I never liked the D3 2001s. They took the bulky skate shoe to another level that I couldn't mess with.

I did fall for the trend with the original D3. Begged my mom to get to me some and she came through. I had the grey/blue pair and my best buddy had the grey/red. Looking back on it, seems like we were more focused on our skater image than actually getting better at skating :lol:

i'm fishing for a pair of D3's. 

speaking of old shoes, i just won these on ebay like a minute ago.

%24T2eC16hHJH8FHQob,Hg8BSH(vRIS0g~~60_57.JPG

chad fernandez 1's from 2000. DS, no box though. $41 
nthat.gif

Back
Top Bottom