The Timepiece Thread vol: READ THE 1st POST!!!

Anyone know where I can find this for under 4k?
se_diver300m_commanderswatch_21232412004001_vuec_large.jpg

i love vintage watches but i do feel like i love new features and improvements more

like what was posted in the last page about a dept store having pre-owned rolex, no lie but JC Penney in my area just added the same set-up and i got to check out the pieces and while they look great, there were some thing that bugged me like practically all the bracelets were stretched and sagging, the lugs had holes, the clasp didn't feel solid and looks bad with the visible adjustment holes, etc... not to mention the movements on rolex these days averag 3-days now(?)

now if i get to a position where i can collect watches like their shoes then i'd buy a few for sure but right now i'd probably pick the new, modern version over the older vintage version unless the vintage is in perfect condition and the price is close enough

and knowing me, if i have a vintage daytona then i got to have a modern daytona too just so that i have one that i can beat up daily but that's just my weird way of thinking :lol:

i love vintage watches but i do feel like i love new features and improvements more

I completely agree with you, and this is a tough hurdle to get around. I've handled vintage GMTs before and I completely echo your sentiments about newer watches feeling better.

My issue at the present is outside of the unobtainium (ceramic Daytona), there isn't anything stainless that catches my eye. I already have a stainless Royal Oak. I've already had a Submariner (I would perhaps reconsider buying another 114060 if the right deal came along). I also own a two-tone GMT so I don't necessarily want a BLNR. It really leaves me with little-to-no options (yes, there are dozens of stainless watches on the market but none really appeal to me outside of the aforementioned, Nautilus notwithstanding). Hence what leads me to looking at vintage Pepsi GMTs.

We'll see what happens.

I completely agree with you, and this is a tough hurdle to get around. I've handled vintage GMTs before and I completely echo your sentiments about newer watches feeling better.

My issue at the present is outside of the unobtainium (ceramic Daytona), there isn't anything stainless that catches my eye. I already have a stainless Royal Oak. I've already had a Submariner (I would perhaps reconsider buying another 114060 if the right deal came along). I also own a two-tone GMT so I don't necessarily want a BLNR. It really leaves me with little-to-no options (yes, there are dozens of stainless watches on the market but none really appeal to me outside of the aforementioned, Nautilus notwithstanding). Hence what leads me to looking at vintage Pepsi GMTs.

We'll see what happens.

i was actually going to use the example that i want a coke gmt but will likely just wait it out but then it's probably going to be impossible to find unless willing to pay 2.5x retail

but you are actually in a good place since nothing new has your interest so you are open to getting something you otherwise might not buy despite liking them

it might make your decision easier if you find one that just speaks to you in a good condition and good price

nothing from VC like the overseas or JLC Reversos that interest you? Cartier has some nice pieces lately... everyone loves a Speedy... Pams has smaller sizes now if you've had some interest in them before but were just too big... just a few suggestions to throw out there

Reverso was the first watch I ever received. Wasn’t too fond of it, but it was a gift so I definitely regret selling it. Wasn’t as sentimental back then.

damn, reversos are so nice

was so close to buying the tribute to '31 but it just didn't work for my tiny wrist

ended up with the cartier tank instead

still want a reverso though, might have to go womens though

Reverso is nice but it doesn't feel or look right on my wrist. Lol

20180718_175414.jpg

Something came in again. Just need to bring it home. Got to love this time of the year. What I've noticed is with grails is the timing is always ****ed up. Nothing really goes according to plan. :lol: *facepalm*

Last edited:
the reverso actually doesn't look too bad on your wrist, there are so much overhang in mine

and can't wait for your new pick-up

i'm jelly and you gon' get me to visit my ad this weekend :lol:

Not sure who owns it but either my mom or my dad but they bought a brand new daytona 116505 for $29600 . Is that a good price?

the black timex rangers pretty nice but the other ones are better options if you want more pop

look around though, don't pay retail

Not sure who owns it but either my mom or my dad but they bought a brand new daytona 116505 for $29600 . Is that a good price?

that's pretty good especially if it's from an AD

out the door? even better as they save a lot on tax

the black timex rangers pretty nice but the other ones are better options if you want more pop

look around though, don't pay retail

that's pretty good especially if it's from an AD

out the door? even better as they save a lot on tax
Thanks bro i found out its my moms. My dad and i were basically calling her dumb for not getting the new root beer for 37300 brand new.

She bought it from a guy from rolex forum that I introduced to my dad.

Gave my Apple Watch away as I’m absolutely set on wearing regular watches again. Still going to sell my BLNR and put it toward a royal oak.

Found a guy on Craigslist selling his diver locally so I emailed him. I at least want to try it on and see how it feels so I have a basis of what to move toward. I’m 6’2 so I’m not necessarily small, but my wrist is 6.5”. As of right now based on pics, I’m leaning toward getting one of the older 39mm’s or newer 41mm’s. The offshore almost seems too gaudy and the diver is super thick.

I bought these walkie talkie watches back in college and it almost reminds me of that lol

3660AFD2-AC3C-4C3B-AEC9-8DB4FAEF294E.png

DF70DA15-66E0-4C61-A219-EDE1FE68D447.jpeg

Met the guy today. Really nice guy. I guess he flips watches a lot. Said he got it for cheap from a friend a week ago and just wants to sell it.

I didn’t think it felt too big on my wrist at the time, but can’t help but think I’d still prefer a non diver.

38DB5921-AF81-41FD-A665-57F7D3068B53.jpeg
8C343104-818C-4E2C-81A9-E2BA58B5EE9E.jpeg

Go with your gut. The Diver is a cool watch, but not as a "main" timepiece. I'd entertain one as a 5th or 6th watch in my rotation, but for daily wear it's just too big.

In terms of wrist size, the actual circumference of your wrist is relatively moot. What's important is how flat the top of your wrist is. If it is flat, a 41mm RO will fit you just fine. If it's round, the lugs will hang over both sides of your wrist and the watch will look a bit silly. Try both and see what works for you.

I have both a GMT and an RO and I much prefer the GMT. YMMV.

Good luck!

gotcha. i'm only planning on having like 2. one for everyday wear and one more dressy/special events.

maybe down the line i'll start adding more, but definitely sticking to 2 max for now.

i will go with my gut though and probably go with something a little thinner.

gotcha. i'm only planning on having like 2. one for everyday wear and one more dressy/special events.

maybe down the line i'll start adding more, but definitely sticking to 2 max for now.

i will go with my gut though and probably go with something a little thinner.

just get the jumbo

i mean just look at this...

Back
Top Bottom