The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

Baines is straight garbage. Seen him playing at Everton and dude gets owned in the EPL every week. Don't know how he got picked for the WC.
Baines is great getting forward and joining the attack. Whipping in crosses and taking set-pieces. Defensively leaves a lot to be desired. But Shaw is too green. Hodgson could start Jones or Smalling and flip Johnson to LB, who is very adequate with both feet.

I would not start Jones or Smalling. Let alone pick them for the world cup and I'm a man united fan
Baines is great getting forward and joining the attack. Whipping in crosses and taking set-pieces. Defensively leaves a lot to be desired. But Shaw is too green. Hodgson could start Jones or Smalling and flip Johnson to LB, who is very adequate with both feet.

Hodgson doesn't know what he's doing. He left behind the one England LB who can actually defend and took the two Marcelo clones.

England backs Rooney

Former England captain Alan Shearer was critical of Wayne Rooney's performance as England went down to a 2-1 defeat in their opening Group D clash with Italy in Manaus, though current boss Roy Hodgson defended offered words of support.

Rooney was deployed in a wide role that he has stated he does not enjoy playing in, missed a clear chance to draw England level in the second half, and was also guilty of delivering a bizarre corner that ended up 20 years behind the Italian goal.

"Rooney had his chance and he failed to take it," he told the BBC. "At this level, in a World Cup, you only get maybe one chance in a game and you have to score. Balotelli had one chance, one goal.

"You see what happen with [Arjen] Robben and [Robin] van Persie when they get a chance [in the Netherlands' 5-1 win against Spain on Friday]. They scored. That is what you have to do at this level.

"Wayne might not get a better chance than he had in this game. He won't sleep when he looks back at it. You have got to score those chances.

"You can never criticise his work rate, he gives it everything he has. He was really uncomfortable on the left hand side, even though he set up the goal for [Daniel] Sturridge brilliantly."

Wayne Rooney drew criticism for missed chances, but Roy Hodgson backed him for setting up England's goal.
Hodgson were quick to hit back at the criticism of Rooney, as he insisted he was satisfied with his display.

"I thought Wayne Rooney did very well and set up our goal," stated Hodgson. "We know he can play in different positions and he can be satisfied with his performance. We are looking for things to say if we say he didn't do well because I think we did."

Meanwhile, Shearer was far more complimentary about the display of Liverpool winger Raheem Sterling, who was England's stand-out performer against the Italians.

"Sterling was our man of the match, he gave us hope. He ran at them and they were scared of him," suggested Shearer, who played and scored in the 1998 World Cup finals for England.

"Uruguay will have had a scout at this game and he will go back and tell their manager that you do not let Raheem Sterling get the ball and turn and run at you. If you let him do that, he will give you problems."

If Hodgson doesn't have the balls or power to bench Wayne Rooney, he shouldn't be managing this team. No way.

I think it's just going to get worse for Wayne, Van Gaal next year :lol:

Rooney covered more ground than any England player. And he was playing out of position. He's being made the scapegoat. Idk why he's England's favorite whipping boy.

Sterling did all of his damage while playing out wide and Hodgson tries to play him centrally. Barkley or Rooney are better suited to play central

And as usual..,people are giving Gerrard a pass when he was the worst player on the pitch and did absolutely nothing.

This is the best collection of talent England has had in a long time but Hodgson is clueless.

Like who the hell brings on Wilshere as a sub when you need a goal when you have Lampard and Lambert sitting on the bench?

Baines was forced to defend two attackers by himself constantly and Hodgson made no adjustments to give him help. That's what led to the 2nd goal.

And you know why Baines was left Alone to cover two players on the 2nd goal? Because Gerrard was lazy as hell and didn't track back. No point in playing him when he offered nothing going forward and didn't even defend either.

And it's also On Hodgson for not man marking Pirlo and letting him pick them apart with no pressure.

England has the talent to advance but they're never gonna go anywhere with Hodgson. Italy completed 92% of their passes. Most In a WC match since 1966. Hodgson made Italy look like tiki taka Spain out there by deciding to not press and give them all day on the ball. Verrati and Pirlo are two finesse midfielders. Giving them time plays right into their hands.

I mean everybody who has ever seen Verrati play knows he's only good when he has time on the ball. If you press him or get physical with him he looks like crap. But Hodgson sits back and let's him have all day on the ball.

Last edited:
Thoughts on France vs Honduras tomorrow?? I think theres too much quality on the french team for them not to score. doubt honduras has any attacking threat

Rooney covered more ground than any England player. And he was playing out of position. He's being made the scapegoat. Idk why he's England's favorite whipping boy.

Sterling did all of his damage while playing out wide and Hodgson tries to play him centrally. Barkley or Rooney are better suited to play central

And as usual..,people are giving Gerrard a pass when he was the worst player on the pitch and did absolutely nothing.

This is the best collection of talent England has had in a long time but Hodgson is clueless.

Like who the hell brings on Wilshere as a sub when you need a goal when you have Lampard and Lambert sitting on the bench?

Baines was forced to defend two attackers by himself constantly and Hodgson made no adjustments to give him help. That's what led to the 2nd goal.

And you know why Baines was left Alone to cover two players on the 2nd goal? Because Gerrard was lazy as hell and didn't track back. No point in playing him when he offered nothing going forward and didn't even defend either.

And it's also On Hodgson for not man marking Pirlo and letting him pick them apart with no pressure.

England has the talent to advance but they're never gonna go anywhere with Hodgson. Italy completed 92% of their passes. Most In a WC match since 1966. Hodgson made Italy look like tiki taka Spain out there by deciding to not press and give them all day on the ball. Verrati and Pirlo are two finesse midfielders. Giving them time plays right into their hands.

I mean everybody who has ever seen Verrati play knows he's only good when he has time on the ball. If you press him or get physical with him he looks like crap. But Hodgson sits back and let's him have all day on the ball.

I think Hodgson was hoping that he could recreated some of Sterlings Liverpool moments when he was played centrally for them this season, especially since Sturridge was in front of him. And two other teammates behind him as well.

I get why he brought on Wilshere, an attempt to spark some creativity. Lampards experience would have def helped out. Jack had a bit of trouble getting into the game.

Baines really got assed out, there was so much space on that right side for Italy. They were just feasting! Rooney was not helping to defend either. His teammates gave him no help at all, it was shameful.

Putting pressure on Pirlo and Verrati is a basic tactic, especially on the former. Gotta cut off the supplier. I would assume that maybe Hodgson didn't want England to be too defensive but that can't be it.

Lallana and Chamberlain need to start over Rooney and Welbeck. That simple
Ox isn't fully recovered from the right knee injury.

Apparently they haven't lost a game when Ox has played in it. He would have been very useful when Italy was just sitting back

Thoughts on France vs Honduras tomorrow?? I think theres too much quality on the french team for them not to score. doubt honduras has any attacking threat

It sounds like Griezmann, Benz, and Valbuena will start tomorrow and lead the attack. I can see the game ending 4-0.

Colombia+v+Greece+Group+C+2014+FIFA+World+hussT3P-ZPcx.jpg

Colombia+v+Greece+Group+C+2014+FIFA+World+0XY9x-NoxcEx.jpg

Colombia+v+Greece+Group+C+2014+FIFA+World+oepensdvOD1x.jpg

Uruguay+v+Costa+Rica+Group+2014+FIFA+World+xfR-LPDh4Mex.jpg

Luis+Suarez+Uruguay+v+Costa+Rica+Group+2014+kfosCldI5efx.jpg

England+v+Italy+Group+2014+FIFA+World+Cup+Py9DgQsY3Yex.jpg

England+v+Italy+Group+2014+FIFA+World+Cup+1F-EpfjHAxox.jpg

England+v+Italy+Group+2014+FIFA+World+Cup+AHlpBfvi9Yox.jpg

England+v+Italy+Group+2014+FIFA+World+Cup+4H94bhlgzXIx.jpg

Cote+Ivoire+v+Japan+Group+C+2014+FIFA+World+vnTp165e1FFx.jpg

Cote+Ivoire+v+Japan+Group+C+2014+FIFA+World+kqjRxw_BBFyx.jpg

Cote+Ivoire+v+Japan+Group+C+2014+FIFA+World+i2zsmfk3oTax.jpg

Disappointed with an L but pleased with the style we played. Pointless blaming it all on Rooney- he was out of position and created the goal. English media have been after him ever since Scholes was quoted saying Hodgson May not have balls to drop him. His corner though :0

If we draw with Uruguay and beat Costa Rica by a couple of goals and other results oh our way we may scrape through just.

Despite the optimism in the past week England are a squad of decent experienced club players at the prime age (Cahill, Hart, Rooney etc), fading stars (Gerrard, Lampard etc), out of their depth at this level players (Johnson, Baines, Milner etc) and promising youngsters (Sturidge, Sterling etc). It's a reasonable squad but not world beaters.We have no world class players anymore and getting out the group will be and has always been since the draw an achievement in itself. Hodgson went for a win and that was far more than the last time we played Italy and I enjoyed the game despite the result.

For all the talk of the Liverpool youngsters impact it was City who one the title with a total of 1 Englishman playing regularly and even he was dropped for a period of the season.

Thus result is about where we are right now.

This

Same thing can be said for Spain's midfielders like xavi

Last edited:
Shouldn't be aiming for a tie with Uruguay. They can be beaten outright if Suarez is not given room to breathe
Disappointed with an L but pleased with the style we played. Pointless blaming it all on Rooney- he was out of position and created the goal. English media have been after him ever since Scholes was quoted saying Hodgson May not have balls to drop him. His corner though :0

If we draw with Uruguay and beat Costa Rica by a couple of goals and other results oh our way we may scrape through just.

Despite the optimism in the past week England are a squad of decent experienced club players at the prime age (Cahill, Hart, Rooney etc), fading stars (Gerrard, Lampard etc), out of their depth at this level players (Johnson, Baines, Milner etc) and promising youngsters (Sturidge, Sterling etc). It's a reasonable squad but not world beaters.We have no world class players anymore and getting out the group will be and has always been since the draw an achievement in itself. Hodgson went for a win and that was far more than the last time we played Italy and I enjoyed the game despite the result.

For all the talk of the Liverpool youngsters impact it was City who one the title with a total of 1 Englishman playing regularly and even he was dropped for a period of the season.

Thus result is about where we are right now.

lol at the crucifying of rooney, when he is the reason why england got the goal they had... and was playing out of position..... was it is best game, nooo, but he isnt to blame.... its funny though...... welbeck is not improving:smh:

Rooney is and has always been a victim of his versatility both at club and international level. If he could only play as advanced CF he would have scored more goals by now.

Wazza, maybe, should have done better with his opportunities in front of goal, but you can never knock the guy on his efforts and work-rate.  

lol at the crucifying of rooney, when he is the reason why england got the goal they had... and was playing out of position..... was it is best game, nooo, but he isnt to blame.... its funny though...... welbeck is not improving:smh:

Wazza, maybe, should have done better with his opportunities in front of goal, but you can never knock the guy on his efforts and work-rate.  

That's exactly why they're nailing him to the cross....

rooney1.gif

ForthrightLongBlueshark.gif

Last edited:
You said that already. :lol:
Candreva did have a fun time of it down that side, tho. And I'm pretty sure Pirlo could play England in 20 years and still pull them apart.

Looking forward to ARG/*** and FRA/HON today.
Will Honduras attract the usual vitriol for kicking France up and down? I mean, it's the French...

For those saying Wazza created the goal, yes sublime cross and final ball into the attacking third. But let's not forget Sterling's initial outlet ball out-wide left to start the attack from the middle of the pitch.

You said that already. :lol:
Candreva did have a fun time of it down that side, tho. And I'm pretty sure Pirlo could play England in 20 years and still pull them apart.

Looking forward to ARG/*** and FRA/HON today.
Will Honduras attract the usual vitriol for kicking France up and down? I mean, it's the French...
Deschamps has a dilemma between starting Sagna or Debuchy.

Back
Top Bottom