The Weeknd Thread ( "The Dawn FM" OUT NOW)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 38 42.2%
  • Thursday

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 18 20.0%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.8%

• Total voters
I wish I liked R&B more. Sometimes I'm not in the mood to listen to rap, and all I got is this dude to listen too :smh:

Real life.

Miguels new album is getting really good reviews but i agree with you nothing else is in his lane. Maybe if we get a new Frank Ocean (please don't start that comparison again). But i will never listen to Tyrese (new album out now :x) Trey Songz, Chris Brown etc. I do like miguel though so maybe i will spotify his album and see if i like it

I remember the Frank Ocean v The Weeknd debate :lol:. It didn't help that they gained notoriety around the same time. But in retrospect, what a year that was musically for my listening enjoyment.

And after Thursday released, well, I don't think I listened to Frank very much for the rest of the year.

But to y'alls' point, I'm not much of a genre enthusiast. And I mean any genre. I gravitate towards certain artists and indulge in their works.

Hip Pop....no artistry as far as I can tell. Rap (conscious rap)....mehhh, I'd rather read a book if I want to be educated. And so on and so forth.

Last edited:
I kinda wish Weeknd would put out some more Trap tunes

Here's Martin Garrix dropping ICFMF I mentioned before.

This era of R&B is not gonna make anybody a fan of the genre. Only new R&B artist I listen to is Weeknd, BJ The Chicago Kid and Frank Ocean. 70's R&B is probably the best era for black music. Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield, James Brown, Teddy Pendergrass, Bobby Womack. A lot of classic stuff.

r&b on a commercial level is dying. On the indie level, there are plenty of incredible artists making r&b.

The problem is, we traditionally judge genres based on their commercial representation. When we say _____ is dead, we're literally only talking about the "popular" artists.

All I listen to these days that is considered R&B is:

PARTYNEXTDOOR
Majid Jordan
The Weeknd

r&b on a commercial level is dying. On the indie level, there are plenty of incredible artists making r&b.

The problem is, we traditionally judge genres based on their commercial representation. When we say _____ is dead, we're literally only talking about the "popular" artists.
^^^^^ :smokin [emoji]128076[/emoji][emoji]127995[/emoji][emoji]128076[/emoji][emoji]127995[/emoji][emoji]128076[/emoji][emoji]127995[/emoji]

Last edited:
This era of R&B is not gonna make anybody a fan of the genre. Only new R&B artist I listen to is Weeknd, BJ The Chicago Kid and Frank Ocean. 70's R&B is probably the best era for black music. Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield, James Brown, Teddy Pendergrass, Bobby Womack. A lot of classic stuff.
My dad use to play classics, so I grew up on R&B... especially Bobby Womack. So it was a natural progression for me to mess with The Weeknd, whether I wanted to conform from the 90's or not.

I bought the hand signed... Even tho I already pre ordered on iTunes [emoji]128520[/emoji]

Miguels new album is getting really good reviews but i agree with you nothing else is in his lane. Maybe if we get a new Frank Ocean (please don't start that comparison again). But i will never listen to Tyrese (new album out now
sick.gif
) Trey Songz, Chris Brown etc. I do like miguel though so maybe i will spotify his album and see if i like it
Yeah I like Miguel based on the songs I heard from him. For some reason though, I could listen to one or two songs forever, and won't listen to their albums until like months later. I can't tell you how many times I heard Weekend Games before I listened to the rest of that tape.

I guess it's the production for the most part on why I don't like R&B like that. Like I like select songs from artists, but as a whole, there's never been an artist I rocked with. I guess it's the dark atmosphere behind The Weeknd's beats that I like.

Tyrese new album decent. Dumb **** :pimp:

Anyway R&b I jam is d'angelo, the weeknd, PND, Miguel, frank ocean, the dream, Bieber - journals( :pimp: )

And BANKS (super sleeper :pimp:)

Probably more I can't remember

I **** with the weeknd but not $200 **** wit him :lol: :lol: :lol: gimmie the damn CD all the extra **** is for the *******!!!!!!!

There is a great wave of new R&B talent out there, you can find great music on Soundcloud.

I grew up on hip-hop but good R&B music moves my soul. Nothing like going ham singing in your car dolo 
laugh.gif

Miguel's new album is amazing. Took me several spins tho to really appreciate it

This is a great time for R&B for me.

Kelela
FKA Twigs
Banks
PartyNextDoor
Frank Ocean
JMSN
Jesse Boykins III
Kindness
Blood Orange
Bosco
Rahel
Miguel
ABEL

So many different sounds being used. The traditional R&B isn't popular right now so that genre isnt producing but they will soon cause the market is yearning for it. But the young bucks now are doing amazing things

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom