The Weeknd Thread ( "The Dawn FM" OUT NOW)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 38 42.2%
  • Thursday

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 18 20.0%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.8%

• Total voters
You kind of just answered your own question :lol:

They had higher expectations than you did.

I'm just whatever about it, really. I stopped caring after that interview, and I'll just take it one song at a time from here on.

I understand linking Earned It to the album so that he can further lead those fans to the album for more support.
How did I answer my own question? How do you have lowered expectations based off a track list with 9 new songs? If they were expecting 10+ new songs then I understand but that was foolish to believe if so

I had higher expectations of a more darker tone album and I suppose looking at the tracklist it seems it'll be the opposite. Although that's just assuming tbh. Earned It being on the album although sort of disappointing, it makes sense.

I had higher expectations of a more darker tone album and I suppose looking at the tracklist it seems it'll be the opposite. Although that's just assuming tbh. Earned It being on the album although sort of disappointing, it makes sense.
Damn you can tell it's not dark due to the names of the songs? Idk man

If anything like I said, the interview was definitely somewhat concrete evidence of why someone should lower expectations...

Last edited:
How did I answer my own question? How do you have lowered expectations based off a track list with 9 new songs? If they were expecting 10+ new songs then I understand but that was foolish to believe if so

Simply kicking off Earned It and putting something else on it would've brought the tally up to 10 new cuts, so I don't know if I would consider it a foolish desire, but that's subjective.

I was saying that you weren't disappointed because you expected less than others in here clearly did. In fact, you were happy to get two more new songs than you thought you would (plus the potential deluxe/bonus songs)

Conversely, others in here are disappointed that they've heard more than a third of the album (the same thing happened with Kiss Land). They simply had higher expectations for the amount of new material they would receive than you did, like I said.

^^ Ed Sheeran and Lana Del Rey being featured =/= the dark-type subject matter we've become accustomed to (never heard of Labrinth so I can't comment there). Sure they could be sort of the "Wanderlusts" of this album (meaning a departure from the general sound of the album). But I don't see it that way. I think it'll be more ICFMF, less The Hills. We'll see in a few weeks though. I hope I'm very wrong :lol:.

Last edited:
I'm still going in it with an open mind. I've already accepted that the trilogy days are behind us, and I've appreciated the music for the most part. As long as it's not an album full of KotF-esque tracks, I'm sure I'll rock with it. :lol:

But I won't hide my disdain for them adding Earned It on there. I recognize that song's importance in my dude's career... But I fail to identify its necessity on the album.

Considering how many units Earned It alone will add to units moved, it's pretty obvious why it's necessary for Abel.

Simply kicking off Earned It and putting something else on it would've brought the tally up to 10 new cuts, so I don't know if I would consider it a foolish desire, but that's subjective.

I was saying that you weren't disappointed because you expected less than others in here clearly did. In fact, you were happy to get two more new songs than you thought you would (plus the potential deluxe/bonus songs)

Conversely, others in here are disappointed that they've heard more than a third of the album (the same thing happened with Kiss Land). They simply had higher expectations for the amount of new material they would receive than you did, like I said.
Again, knowing his history, his tapes each had 9 tracks and kissland had 10. If you expected 10 new tracks you were fooling yourself. Again, we knew at least 2 or 3 tracks well before kiss land released so we only got like 7 or 8 new tracks

Getting 9 new tracks should be considered pretty good by his history

It's not just my expectation it's a realistic way of thinking by what we've already experienced

^^ Ed Sheeran and Lana Del Rey being featured =/= the dark-type subject matter we've become accustomed to (never heard of Labrinth so I can't comment there). Sure they could be sort of the "Wanderlusts" of this album (meaning a departure from the general sound of the album). But I don't see it that way. I think it'll be more ICFMF, less The Hills. We'll see in a few weeks though. I hope I'm very wrong :lol:.
Valid point. That's why I said I was cautiously optimistic on the features

Lana can be dark

Last edited:
Damn you can tell it's not dark due to the names of the songs? Idk man

If anything like I said, the interview was definitely somewhat concrete evidence of why someone should lower expectations...

CFMF + ITN + NY Times + Tracklist made me think it wouldn't be darker. I'm still going into it with an open mind. I actually like CFMF and ITN but I'd prefer more tracks like The Hills. Just doesn't seem like that but hopefully I'm wrong.

Last edited:
CFMF + INT + NY Times + Tracklist made me think it wouldn't be darker. I'm still going into it with an open mind. I actually like CFMF and INT but I'd prefer more tracks like The Hills. Just doesn't seem like that but hopefully I'm wrong.
I feel you and honestly I'm not in the boat that's not worried at all. I am lol

It's funny how much the pendulum swings on dude and I speak for myself as well

"Pretty" doesn't sound dark but we know how that turned out so the track title-tone theory goes out the window.

"Angel" could be about an innocent girl he had go downtown.

It's been a while since I blasted Kiss Land on my KRKs....

Last edited:
"Pretty" doesn't sound dark but we know how that turned out so the track title-tone theory goes out the window.

"Angel" could be about an innocent girl he had go downtown.

I was going to make that point about Pretty & a few other tracks. I agree with that. It's why I'm not 100% jumping to conclusions but I'm iffy.

Sounds like you haven't heard Lana either so you probably shouldn't comment.

Sounds like you haven't heard Lana either so you probably shouldn't comment.
Haven't listened to any of her albums but I've heard her music. It's not really pop-py but idk. A female on a Weeknd song, regardless of who it is, just doesn't translate to being able to be the type of song that he normally makes.

Last edited:
She has no recollection
Of the life she had without me
She let it slip away
Away, away

So sad it had to be this
She forgot the good things about me
She let it slip away
A-way...

I understand why Earned It is on there. But it feels like it's going to be awkward with it on there. Like it won't fit with the flow of the album. I guess we'll see. Shoulda had it as a bonus track

I feel Often and damn sure now Earned it should be replaced. Those will mess up the feel of the album.

Might have to buy the tracks individual and play the album in my own way.

I understand why Earned It is on there. But it feels like it's going to be awkward with it on there. Like it won't fit with the flow of the album. I guess we'll see. Shoulda had it as a bonus track

Yea maybe it should have been a bonus track... But I definitely has to be on there IMO... Plus I guess I'm in the minority that likes Earned it... And I don't watch videos or listen to the radio so it's not played out to me.

Back
Top Bottom