"Them were never freed, They was a just satifyed..."

fig neutonn

Banned
Had a convo with this old man of color who insisted on telling me that the fight for people of color ended because the past and current generation seem satifyed with the treatment they recieve. I basically had to explain to him that is not the case and case in point is to look at the fact that racial relationships have and still are improving

Why would I agree with him? He down played the progression this country has made with race relations

I would speak on this, but no matter what you say in this thread Ric Flair is gonna karate chop you in the neck with rhetorical questions that make you seem like a racist douche.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

old man of color
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

progression in race relations
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

To even understand progression and where WE as blacks, hell minorities should be at.. You must understand the past/history of our struggle. The "system" was never to benefit us then and it sure isn't now.

Originally Posted by lilpro4u

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

old man of color
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

progression in race relations
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

To even understand progression and where WE as blacks, hell minorities should be at.. You must understand the past/history of our struggle. The "system" was never to benefit us then and it sure isn't now.
Where should Blacks and other minorities be at? Serious question. 

%**$ it I'll bite:

It seems like a grand wise statement, but it's at best a misstatement and at worst completely false.

Slaves were freed after Civil War. That's a legal fact. Of course this didn't magically bring them up to the level of whites in societal terms, and they may have still been "enslaved" in a broader sense of the term due to Jim Crow and whatnot, but legal freedom was achieved through the Reconstruction amendments after the Civil War. Further legal remnants of slavery were removed by the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

So to say that slaves were never freed is wrong, legally. If he means it in a broader sense of the term "enslaved," that's another issue, but the fact that he followed up to say that blacks were "satisfied" with what they got makes it seem that his criticism is not of people but of the government, i.e. that the government should have given black people more. The thing is, a government that guarantees equality is ill-suited to give any certain group of people anything more than equality. Despite the fact, the terrible marks of slavery moved the government to institute such things as affirmative action, which remain hugely controversial and problematic from a purely Constitutional standpoint. Regardless of where you stand on affirmative action, I think its somewhat clear that anything FURTHER than affirmative action (reparations, etc.) is not a realistic option given our government. Is that a good thing? Who knows. But for the guy to say that black people were simply "satisfied" with what they got in terms of legal rights, his statement ignores the reality of a democratic system of government based on equality.

If what he meant by "satisfied" is that black people continued to "enslave" themselves by their own choices, i.e. they didn't take advantage of the rights they were given, that's another issue.

But to claim that the government somehow didn't "satisfy" black people by denying them some rights to which they were entitled, and thus kept them enslaved, is false.

I treat life as a black man as playing a video game on God mode. And I dominate God mode and I'm always looking for the next challenge.

Back
Top Bottom