There's One Thing I Don't Understand.....vol. From OG's to Youngin's: Come 1, Come All

Okay, so I've been a member of NT and a collector and connoisseur for even longer. I'm 21, but I remember sitting in front of the television with my dad and uncles to watch MJ play as a child, then going outside to try to emulate damn near every move he made. I was outside late for hours trying to get the 'last shot' perfected
laugh.gif
. I also remember how I begged and pleaded for my folks to buy me his kicks, and feeling like the man walking down the hall at school with a fresh pair on. What has always bothered me are those that feel that at a certain age/point in their life that they have to 'grow up' and start buying Gucci/Prada/etc. and leave Jordans behind. I just can't understand it at all. I mean I know that when I graduate and start working professionaly that I won't wear Jordan's to work, but why does my age have to correlate to the shoes I choose to wear? I wasn't copping LV's back in the gap, so why start now? Maybe it's just me but I just don't get it.

MAN MY GIRL IS ALWAYS ON MY BACK ABOUT J'S AND I SAY HEY UMMA ROCK'EM TILL DEY FADED AWAY

Originally Posted by JordanFan04

Okay, so I've been a member of NT and a collector and connoisseur for even longer. I'm 21, but I remember sitting in front of the television with my dad and uncles to watch MJ play as a child, then going outside to try to emulate damn near every move he made. I was outside late for hours trying to get the 'last shot' perfected
laugh.gif
. I also remember how I begged and pleaded for my folks to buy me his kicks, and feeling like the man walking down the hall at school with a fresh pair on. What has always bothered me are those that feel that at a certain age/point in their life that they have to 'grow up' and start buying Gucci/Prada/etc. and leave Jordans behind. I just can't understand it at all. I mean I know that when I graduate and start working professionaly that I won't wear Jordan's to work, but why does my age have to correlate to the shoes I choose to wear? I wasn't copping LV's back in the gap, so why start now? Maybe it's just me but I just don't get it.
What I don't get, is why people tell other people what they should wear. 

If you wanna wear Jordans, wear them, who cares about age. 

If I want to wear Jordans, I will.
If I want to wear wacky colored SBs, I will.
If I want to wear dress shoes, I will.

wear whatever the hell you want.

Uhhhhhh. I dont know ANYBODY that went from Jordans to Gucci and Prada. I know A LOT of 25+ year olds that STILL wear Jordans and its apparel. They love Jordans as much as i do. MAYBE it IS just you.

?? honestly useless post, thot it was going to be something schooling kids on jays versus now.. btw m 22

Personally I think you're showing your age by assuming that "grown ups" automatically graduate to Gucci, Prada and Louis Vuitton... *cringe*

Originally Posted by bwood056

?? honestly useless post, thot it was going to be something schooling kids on jays versus now.. btw m 22

Who's post? Mine or yours? There's tons of *****ing going on in every thread of this board already talking about that. No need for me to make a thread about it. It is what it is. Buy them or don't buy them.

Originally Posted by 23RAKIM45

Personally I think you're showing your age by assuming that "grown ups" automatically graduate to Gucci, Prada and Louis Vuitton... *cringe*

I think not, but i'm not about to dig through the hundreds of threads on this forum to find the specific posts of dudes saying they were growing up and were done with the brand to go start buying America Cup's and loafers.  

meh, Im 23 with no end is sight to my Jordan obsession, look at a guy like SneakGeekz, dudes gotta be in his mid 40s and still only rocks heat....

I think not, but i'm not about to dig through the hundreds of threads on this forum to find the specific posts of dudes saying they were growing up and were done with the brand to go start buying America Cup's and loafers.  
^But Sneakgeekz is a Hypebeast though...he was never a collector earlier in his life, he just has mad money to splurge on sneakers and exclusives so that makes him look like a real collector.

I think usually what their intentions and meaning are, that they are ready to retire from waiting early Saturday mornings, and to give it a rest...i mean its whole new generation of Sneakerheads.
Most people who say that really never had that connection then.  I've been a basketball fan my whole life...so until i give up basketball, Nikes and Jordans are here to stay.

I also hate the "Ima have to retire after these joints, or im coming out of retirement for these"

Originally Posted by TheAdiMac

meh, Im 23 with no end is sight to my Jordan obsession, look at a guy like SneakGeekz, dudes gotta be in his mid 40s and still only rocks heat....

And it's a shame the hate dude gets from a lot of people. Dudes collection is ill.

^I dont hate him, i dont even know who he is.  I admire his collection, but i don't respect it.

I dont consider him a real sneakerhead/collector because he has money.
Im not saying you can't be a sneakerhead if your rich, but this dude just popped outta the woodworks the last few years buying every rare and "exclusive" shoe his money can get.
He didn't know much about the History, Michael, Basketball, and he really never had a strong connection with sneakers, besides his money buying it for him.

So theres my definition of a Real Collector, compared to a general/normal collector.

Originally Posted by NomadicSole21

^But Sneakgeekz is a Hypebeast though...he was never a collector earlier in his life, he just has mad money to splurge on sneakers and exclusives so that makes him look like a real collector.

I think usually what their intentions and meaning are, that they are ready to retire from waiting early Saturday mornings, and to give it a rest...i mean its whole new generation of Sneakerheads.
Most people who say that really never had that connection then.  I've been a basketball fan my whole life...so until i give up basketball, Nikes and Jordans are here to stay.

I also hate the "Ima have to retire after these joints, or im coming out of retirement for these"

I feel what you're saying to an extent. I don't know much about Sneakgeekz aside from his collection, but judging from his collection, he's got some heat and obviously has some love for the brand and shoes in general to wear them at an age where most people are wearing casual shoes. That's not a diss to those shoes, as i'll throw on some Sperry's and go about my business, but Jordans are what started it for me and I see no reason to stop wearing and collecting due to my age. And thank God for the internet so more often than not, I don't have to wait or camp out on Saturday mornings. Let's not even mention how a lot of old heads on here used to skip school Wednesday mornings to score a pair.

^I dont hate him, i dont even know who he is.  I admire his collection, but i don't respect it.

Im not saying you can't be a sneakerhead if your rich, but this dude just popped outta the woodworks the last few years buying every rare and "exclusive" shoe his money can get.
He didn't know much about the History, Michael, Basketball, and he really never had a strong connection with sneakers, besides his money buying it for him.

So theres my definition of a Real Collector, compared to a general/normal collector.

I see what you mean.

Originally Posted by KidCuddy

If I want to wear Jordans, I will.
If I want to wear wacky colored SBs, I will.
If I want to wear dress shoes, I will.

wear whatever the hell you want.

I SWEAR TO GOD YOU TOOK THE WORDS RIGHT OUTTA MA MOUTH

the peole who say they are retiring after these are the same people

who copped the varsity reds last week and will be there copping

the white and reds 6's
copper foams
coolgrey 11's
concord 11's
and every other hot release coming out

so when i and you hear that just dont buy into it

as for the age thing it really doesnt matter how old a person is , were what you want

i am 37 yrs. old now and was 14 yrs. old in 1985 when the first pair of jordans dropped

i am lucky enough to have had almost every pair of hot og's and retro's there has ever been

and i mean almost every pair , almost every hot colorway in every numbered jordan og and retro  (atleast the ones i liked)

so for someone to say when a person gets to a certain age and changes what they were because of it is a joke

its a personal choose not a age thing

i am 37yrs old and will were jordans til the day i die and when i die i will be buried in a pair of jordans

they will pass out jordans from my collection at my funeral , thats how deep i am in

so dont believe the age thing..................................................peace

Back
Top Bottom