Thinking of moving to hawaii

Originally Posted by SA AMG

Some people love it here, others, not so much.

The people that love it say it's the weather, nice people, lifestyle, beaches, scenery, etc.
The people that don't like it say they are homesick, it's too expensive, too crowded/condensed, bored after awhile.

It's totally up to you. Hawaii isn't for everyone. But then again, moving to a new place by yourself isn't for everyone. It's what you make of the situation that's going to ultimately be the focal point of how you feel.

Through my experiences talking to university of hawaii students from the mainland, I say 90% enjoy what hawaii has to offer.
Not too sure about others that aren't here for school.
Yea and see Im going with my roommates I have now .. They both pretty down to go I'm the one that wants to look into before I just jump aboard...

Originally Posted by fittednfresh

The people that love it say it's the weather, nice people, lifestyle, beaches, scenery, etc.
The people that don't like it say they are homesick, it's too expensive, too crowded/condensed, bored after awhile.

It's totally up to you. Hawaii isn't for everyone. But then again, moving to a new place by yourself isn't for everyone. It's what you make of the situation that's going to ultimately be the focal point of how you feel.

Through my experiences talking to university of hawaii students from the mainland, I say 90% enjoy what hawaii has to offer.
Yea and see Im going with my roommates I have now .. They both pretty down to go I'm the one that wants to look into before I just jump aboard ...
well, the best advice I can give you is first find a decent place. waikiki will probably be the most convenient. look into makiki area for cheaperhousing. I take it you guys aren't going to be here for school, so know what type of job you want to work. look into it and have multiple options ready ifone doesn't pan out.

oh and have lots of cash available in your bank accounts.

Yea and see Im going with my roommates I have now .. They both pretty down to go I'm the one that wants to look into before I just jump aboard ...
well, the best advice I can give you is first find a decent place. waikiki will probably be the most convenient. look into makiki area for cheaper housing. I take it you guys aren't going to be here for school, so know what type of job you want to work. look into it and have multiple options ready if one doesn't pan out.

oh and have lots of cash available in your bank accounts.
We will be going to school but it's not really the main focus.. I will prolly attend a CC before I tried to go to any real college there.

Originally Posted by kix4kix

Everybody I met from Hawaii is weird.

You should move there though.

I like waffles
laugh.gif
@ what you started in this thread.

cheeseburger

Well I have my CNA and I could prolly get a job fairly easy out there.. ( hospital , nursing home, home health etc...) I want to live on the big island.. and go to school and finish my Respiratory Therapy degree.. I am really considering moving out there but I dont want to spend all this money moving out there and hate it.

the "big island" is one of the least populated--that's the island of hawaii. if you're gonna want a somewhat big city, move to oahu. fromthere, every spot on the island, including honolulu, waikiki and the north shore are within half an hours drive.

and watch out for who you smash. every girl has a twenty best friends, and you'll run into them, and before you know it, you'll be turning lifelongfriends against each other.

spent 6 weeks on oahu this summer at UH..enjoyed it, but was ready to come home after a month.

Originally Posted by geminifly

Hit up Kicks Hawaii when you get out there.
And in4mation as well. I was in the Navy and stationed in Hawaii for 3 years. Loved it. However as someone posted earlier, "don't livein Ewa Beach" The traffic that place can get in the mornings and after work hours is horrendous... But yeah, I'd go back to Hawaii in a heart beat.

im born there, kaneohe FTW. moved away when i was a toddler though. expect to be pretty bored after a while. also things are really expensive. stuff you'dnormally find over in mainland US would be twice the amount in hawaii. also, a lot of snobby rich pple especially in the mililani area.

hawaiians have a lotta pride and generally hate white pple (haoles).

What is a reasonable price per month for a 3 bed room in Oahu?
Dunno but expect it to be ridiculous. I was paying 1225 a month for 2 bedroom apt in Ewa Beach.
smh.gif

But, I got tons of extra pay living off base when I was there
pimp.gif

We were actually talking about this in my economics class. According to my professor, its the most expensive state to live in. You have to remember almosteverything is imported too. One of my friends visited with his wife and although they would like to move there, its too expensive.

Getting a real job is tough so hopefully you have some money saved. If not, you may have to work several jobs in the service industry. You will definitely earnless and spend more than you would anywhere else in the country. In-state tuition is a good deal.

Housing is very expensive, even with friends. Expect to pay $600 to $800 a month for a room in an older building/home, plus utilities. A car is a must unlessyou live in town and catch the bus everywhere. But if you love a laid back, tropical atmosphere with great people you will have no regrets.

Originally Posted by aubstuh86

im born there, kaneohe FTW. moved away when i was a toddler though. expect to be pretty bored after a while. also things are really expensive. stuff you'd normally find over in mainland US would be twice the amount in hawaii. also, a lot of snobby rich pple especially in the mililani area.

hawaiians have a lotta pride and generally hate white pple (haoles).

i think that hate is generally overstated. i mean, there's tension, but it's not like they're not gonna serve you at restaurants and just beat onyou or anything. a lot of my friends are hawaiian, and i'm white/japanese, so it's not really a thing as long as you follow the golden rule...youknow, treat others the way you want to be treated. i've lived in hawaii all my life (though i'm at usc now), and i've never run into a problembecause of my race.

like it's been said, traffic from ewa is brutal. just getting through fort weaver rd. onto the freeway is ridiculous (sometimes it takes 45 minutes,depending where you get onto ft. weaver). in a couple of years, when the proposed rail is supposed to be done, traffic will be better from ewa, but that'snot gonna be for quite a long time.

and it's not the mililani snobs you have to worry about--it's the people from kahala/hawaii kai

seriously, though, the race thing isnt as bad as people are making it out to be.

you got me wanting to pack up %$$@ and say bye to Philadelphia but i'd regret it after a year, it'd be like a vacation I got bored with

Originally Posted by StillIn729

you got me wanting to pack up %$$@ and say bye to Philadelphia but i'd regret it after a year, it'd be like a vacation I got bored with
lol do it! im dead +!+ im moving in july

Do not move to Ewa Beach! The time you waste everyday in traffic will make up for the place being cheap! It's worth it to spend more for a crappier placenear town since you won't be killing your car or if you are lucky might not even have to get one.

McCully, Makiki (certain parts), Moilili, Kaimuki and Kapahulu are relatively good convenient areas to live in.

If you're going for school you might as well live in town anyway. If you're into ocean sports and outdoorsy things it's good. Not so much forpeople into clubbing and stuff.

Kailua ppl are kinda snobby too but I think that goes for most places populated by upper middle and upper class people (most of which didn't grow up inHawaii) but there are always exceptions. Stay humble and you won't get beat up by a big local person but even that's not for sure. The race thingisn't bad but as always there are places you should be more aware of your surroundings and/or culturally sensitive to if you don't look like a local.

You're moving there without anyone have been there before? Craziness.

Back
Top Bottom