Thinking of moving to NYC, any work for Social Workers/Child and Youth workers? How's the living?

What up NT,

I'm a 21 year old dude from Toronto, looking to move to NYC for a couple years to practice social work, I was wondering if any one else out in the community was involved with any organizations, and what the living like? (Cost of living, job opportunities, rent, salary etc.)

OP, don't move in to the bronx. Its a sh**hole

are you looking for work in manhattan

Last edited:
To be honest, I've been looking at places in Harlem, and Brooklyn (just for arts and stuff, looking to start my music again when I touch down over there), but in terms of work, anywhere the subway brings me really. I mostly want to work with young men, and youth which is my main focus in social work.

To be honest, I've been looking at places in Harlem, and Brooklyn (just for arts and stuff, looking to start my music again when I touch down over there), but in terms of work, anywhere the subway brings me really. I mostly want to work with young men, and youth which is my main focus in social work.

how far are you willing to commute?

Well already within Toronto, I do a commute of about an hour or so. So I wouldn't mind doing the same thing maybe an 1.5 hrs max

if you're tryin to save da youth, i see no better place then da bronx....plenty of lost souls out there to put da cape on for.

if you're tryin to save da youth, i see no better place then da bronx....plenty of lost souls out there to put da cape on for.
I hear you, well could you tell me whats the cost of living out there. I would need a gym to workout at, ball runs of course. Organic food is always ill. Estimated cost with rent?

what are you trying to do with the youth?
Well right now I'm working on my degree, in Toronto. But as for what I would like to do: I would definately want to work with a youth organization helping youth graduate highschool, look for scholorship opportunities, artistic opportunities (Music, Photography, Video), anything that really gets them geared up for their next stage in life. As well as a mentoring aspect to it. But baby steps, so work with an established organization first.

what are you trying to do with the youth?
Well right now I'm finishing my degree in Toronto, but I want to work for an organization who's focus is with youth in high school. Try and help em get to post secondary (scholarships, opportunities etc), as well as artistic opportunities (Music, art, photography, video) and also a mentoring aspect.

Back
Top Bottom