Thinking of Switching to Cable Internet

Been with AT&T DSL for years now but have more people moving into my house soon so the speeds are definitely gonna go down. Looked at cable internet and the 2 year price is the same as what i'm paying for now with dsl. Cable download speeds are 12mbps vs the 3mbps dsl i've got now. Any negatives to switching over? I've heard cable is pretty inconsistent but even with inconsistencies would it still be faster then the DSL i've got now? I'm in LA if it matters. 

Originally Posted by jrdnsrnss

Been with AT&T DSL for years now but have more people moving into my house soon so the speeds are definitely gonna go down. Looked at cable internet and the 2 year price is the same as what i'm paying for now with dsl. Cable download speeds are 12mbps vs the 3mbps dsl i've got now. Any negatives to switching over? I've heard cable is pretty inconsistent but even with inconsistencies would it still be faster then the DSL i've got now? I'm in LA if it matters. 

I was in your position several years ago.
Made the switch and we haven't looked back.
pimp.gif

Do it, if you don't have a problem being tied down for 2 years.

Im in the same boat. Not sure if I'll be here for 2 more years or I'd make the switch in a heartbeat. AT&T dsl in my area is no bueno.

Cable is actually more consistent that DSL.  DSL speeds are dependent on the number of users in the area.  Cable, not quite as much since there's more bandwidth that can travel through the copper.  If you have the option, look into FIOS.  The speeds you can get from their fiber is outstanding!

Thanks for all the comments, looks like i'll make the switch. I actually looked into Fios but its a bit more then cable. It's an extra $20 a month, i figured i'm paying the same monthly for cable compared to what i'm paying now for DSL so i'll definitely make the switch.

i really want to switch my internet soo bad i  really hate comcast it's always dcing on me
mad.gif

don't want to go to att are there other internet providers out there?
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Spidermachine916

i really want to switch my internet soo bad i  really hate comcast it's always dcing on me
mad.gif

don't want to go to att are there other internet providers out there?
nerd.gif
laugh.gif
Were in the opposite situations, my att has been good its just too slow for multiple people.

Op you aren't on AT&T U-Verse DSL ?

Last I checked they had a 3MB, 6MB, 12MB, 18MB, and 24MB DSL plans.

I'm on the 12MB plan and I'm paying $40 a month. 12MB Cable modem plan for time warner cable down here in SD is a joke where it's $49 with a 2 year contract or $54 without a contract.

If your cable company is Time Warner I'd suggest staying the hell away from them. They are notorious for HORRIBLE customer service whenever something goes wrong with either their internet or cable tv service.

If I had the chance I'd switch to Verzion FIOS but in my case Verizon does not have fiber lines installed in my area and have no plans of expanding their service.

Also the main thing with cable modem internet that will determine how fast & consistent your internet connection is how many people are on your fiber node in your neighborhood.

never again will i touch a DSL line.

i was on att dsl and it was terrible. speeds were nowhere near what was offered. i got time warner cable (just the net) and i haven't had a problem since.

the only thing i'd pick over cable is vzw' FIOS. but they dont offer it in my area, nor plan to.

Originally Posted by MR J 858

Op you aren't on AT&T U-Verse DSL ?

Last I checked they had a 3MB, 6MB, 12MB, 18MB, and 24MB DSL plans.

I'm on the 12MB plan and I'm paying $40 a month. 12MB Cable modem plan for time warner cable down here in SD is a joke where it's $49 with a 2 year contract or $54 without a contract.

If your cable company is Time Warner I'd suggest staying the hell away from them. They are notorious for HORRIBLE customer service whenever something goes wrong with either their internet or cable tv service.

If I had the chance I'd switch to Verzion FIOS but in my case Verizon does not have fiber lines installed in my area and have no plans of expanding their service.

Also the main thing with cable modem internet that will determine how fast & consistent your internet connection is how many people are on your fiber node in your neighborhood.
No i'm on the regular ATT DSL, is that $40 a month for u-verse a new customer price or a locked in price for a year or however long your contract is?

EDIT

Just did more research on u-verse, its $30 a year for the first year then apparently jumps up to $48 after the year ends, 12 mbps. Cable is also 12 mbps and $35 for the first two years then goes to $50 after the two years.

Yeah, Id switch to someone else. Im on ATT DSL right now and the bill is $38/month (includes home phone) for 1.5 down. 1.5!! Though, it was never like that to begin with. Basically started at $20/month (been with them for 6 years now) and they seem to up the price every 6 months.

Doesnt help that the wiring in the house sucks/old as rocks. Internet becomes unstable and I have to manually disconnect from the wall jack 2-3 times a day. First 2-3 years it wasnt like this. It use to get very bad at times in the last 2 years (no connection at all, d/cing).

Ill most likely be moving in a year or two so Ill have to hold off til then.

Back
Top Bottom