This Footy Thread is Now Closed, New Thread Link on Last page

Status
Not open for further replies.

@ESPNFC
BREAKING: Marc Bartra had surgery after suffering a broken wrist following explosions that rocked Dortmund's bus. es.pn/2opRD4o
Damn 
frown.gif

Could've been a lot worse if the bombs were closer. I think they should postpone the game a little longer. I can't imagine the squad having a good rest tonight and a day doesn't seem nearly enough to mentally process what happened today.
I thought the bombs were under the bus, have the ruled out m80 firecrackers from ultras yet?

Terrible news in Dortmund today. Sounds like things really could have been a lot worse based on the police press conference.

FC Dallas U18's playing Real Madrid Juvenil A right now. Just started: 

Massive test for the standard bearers in American youth development. This is Madrid's strongest team after Real Madrid Castilla and they are one age group above the FC Dallas team. 

Last edited:
Lewandowski not being able to play would be huge

Predicting a big match for Ronaldo & Bale tomorrow, not much evidence for it just law of averages for great players.

Last edited:

[@=/u/174321/NorthOaklandFC]@NorthOaklandFC[/@] Where do you rank the Red Bulls academy in comparison to other MLS academies and non-MLS academies?
 ​

Definitely one of the league's best. They have a very strong track record integrating academy players into the first team and further developing them into first XI players for the club, and they also have a track record of developing players who have transitioned seamlessly to European clubs.  

Matt Miazga is the shining example. Developed him, successfully integrated him into the first team at 18, and then netted the club a 5$M transfer from Chelsea.  Ever since winning the starting job at Vitesse over the winter, it seems like every other week he's in the Eredivisie team of the week at 21yo. 

Last summer Matthew Olosunde left NYRB academy when he turned 18 and signed with Manchester United. Walked right into a starting role with Manchester United U23's. Things like that are good indicators. We want to be capable of producing talent from ages 12 - 18 than can immediately compete with their European peers at big time development clubs. 

I'm happy with the players coming out of the NYRB academy. Tyler Adams and Derrick Etienne are two players from our academy who have been promoted to the first team since last season and have been starting these last few matches. I wonder how Marsch will manage them throughout the season. Especially since we're struggling to find winning form. Our defensive woes show how important Miazga was to us.

If the person behind those bombs is some ISIS supporter, then it really looks like they have a hard-on for an attack with high death numbers at a high profile game.

Didn't ISIS supporters also try to attack that France-Germany game in Paris?

I don't see how this can get them any recruitments, because young Muslims love their footy. Even those that hate the west.

how does the academy system work for mls?
I believe it works at the local level first. They develop and train within their age bracket and get plugged into the USL/NASL clubs depending on who the parent MLS club is and go on from there.

The teams then decides who to promote to the B team and if I'm not mistaken a lot of kids do move around to positiom themselves to get a shot at getting promoted or more time to stand out within other clubs.

Im sure Oak has way better insight than me but I am familiar with one of the Portland Timbers own homegrown academy players who is Marco Farfan. Young dude is only 18 years old and is legit starting for the Portland Timbers senior squad. Still a senior in my former high school too, son has to go to school on the weekdays and fit in practice and plays professionally on the weekends :lol:

He basically got promoted from the younger clubs to the Portland Timbers B Team that plays in the USL, and during just this MLS offseason decided to go pro and forego College to play for the senior Timbers squad in the MLS.

My boys who did play club footy know his older brother Roberto who used to play for the U-23 Timbers I believe and he was basically who put Marco on to the Timbers youth teams. One of my boys is actually neighbors with their family and still cant believe Marco is an official Timbers player :lol:

Some of my boys also know Erik Hurtado(91 Pace player one year in FIFA for all you FIFA players :lol:) who grew up in Hillsboro, OR. He played or still plays for the Vancouver Whitecaps but I remember meeting him on the MLS Cup Final Match in 2015 between Portland and Columbus.

Dude was salty AF rooting for Columbus because Portland and Vancouver are heated rivals, and he never got signed to Portland even though he played for their youth squads and even up to U-17s I believe. Dude makes 6 figures and proceeds to buy us multiple rounds of Fireball after Portland won the MLS Cup :rofl:

Last edited:
Kind of sucks that the Dortmund game wasn't postponed further. Is one day really enough to mentally process multiple bombs going off near your club bus and one of your players getting injured? I hope it doesn't influence their game too much. I'll be rooting for Dortmund and my man Ousmane Dembélé but Monaco winning would be great too

I'm sure the atmosphere is going to be intense in the stadium. Dortmund will win with that alone.

Two future Ballon d'Or contenders on display in this one. Will be interested in seeing how they cope with the occasion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom