Tim Duncan Appreciation

Ok dude, whatever.  You love to pretend your not biased when your one of the most biased people here
laugh.gif

I never do this, but avy bet that Spurs will go farther than the Lakers this year? (only stipulation being Lakers don't pull out some Bynum for Howard trade straight out of their %*+@%)
laugh.gif

AMP, trust me dude, you have no idea. Take my word for it or don't, I don't care. And I have never ever changed my avy or sig nor do I care about changing someone else's. Spurs can go further than us, just like we did them last year, what did it do for us? Nothing. So what's the point? They won't win the title, and you damn well know that. Everyone does.

Ok, I'm just confused now.  What are we arguing about again? I called the Spurs being frauds with you last year.  Look back at the old season thread, I called them getting beat by the Grizz. I just think this year, in this condensed season, they are more potent.
OKC will win the West unless the Durant/Westbrook situation completely implodes.  We all know that.

The only thing I'm arguing is Duncan still is a good player and has a lot of value left as a player.  It might not be for very long, but there is only a handful of centers I'd still have over him.  %%*#, would you really take Roy Hibbert over Duncan in a playoff series?  The Center position is %%*# in the league and cause of it he has carved out a lane for himself despite his steep decline in athleticism.  Why not give him props for that?  Lots of big men fall off drastically, while his numbers are down more I don't think his decline is that much steeper than someone like Olajuwon at the same age.

Maybe its what I value as a player but I think its says everything about Tim that he can be just a role player on a really good squad and be really good at that.  Most superstars have had a lot of trouble figuring that out and it seems to just come so natural to Tim maybe that's my reason for defending him.

Ok, he's good at a huge weak position. Ok. Props? I guess. And he's a glorified role guy now, and has been the last 3-4 years. So his total high value equates to 10-11 seasons, meanwhile Karl was top shelf 16-17 years. And on top of that, he switched positions. Anyone who says Dunc is some great PF for 15 years IS SIMPLY NOT PAYING ATTENTION. He's not a PF anymore, and he hasn't been "Tim Duncan" for years. He's Antonio McDyess now. 25 minutes a night, nice game once in a while, but he's not what people try to claim he is. Period. That's not hate in the slightest. Those are FACTS. He's good, was GREAT, but the legacy of Dunc stopped years ago, he's playing out the string like 38 year old Reggie Miller, but at center, hence my Shaq comparison. And by the way Amp, still not what I was getting at. You still not with me yet.
laugh.gif

If Tim Duncan was chucking like Kobe in order to protect a massive ego then CP wouldn't be saying any of this, Tim Duncan is about twice as good as Mcdyess was at this age, the comparison asinine. He is still an excellent PF/C or whatever, POP just has him playing less so he doesn't have to run around like Kobe with broken wrists and a mangled finger.

CP's distaste for Duncan and all things Spurs is clear, 21+ PER good for top 20 in the league, 3rd ranked center. Duncan is in his decline phase? Yes. But the slander is absurd, if only of only Duncan was egotistical enough o impress Nters and play more minutes.

laugh.gif
there it is, he has a good PER. Awwwwww. His PER is good, so he's good. That's why he sits out 4th quarters and overtimes.
laugh.gif
Those 25 minutes a night he plays gives him "valuable" PER's. I've seen the error of my ways, TD is still good, my bad ya'll.

Originally Posted by CP1708

laugh.gif
there it is, he has a good PER. Awwwwww. His PER is good, so he's good. That's why he sits out 4th quarters and overtimes.
laugh.gif
Those 25 minutes a night he plays gives him "valuable" PER's. I've seen the error of my ways, TD is still good, my bad ya'll.

Stop hating brah... making laker fans look bad

Tim >

Originally Posted by CP1708

Shoulda made this thread 4 years ago when he was still good man. 
laugh.gif

His last 4 years,

19 and 10,
18 and 10,
13 and 9,
13 and 8. 

Nothin worth talkin about here. That's Dunc from age 32 to 35

Karl Malone at 36 to 39 was goin

25 and 9
23 and 8
22 and 8
20 and 8

At this same stage as Duncan

25 and 10
27 and 10
27 and 10
24 and 9

Playin 80 games a year the ENTIRE time, minus the lockout, and his final season. 
eek.gif

Duncan was great, but also gets by on a lot of other variables that no one will ever talk about, because he won.  *shrugs* 

tim-duncan-2005-mvp-with-3-trophies-3.jpg

Originally Posted by MoonMan818

Stop hating brah... making laker fans look bad
I put him on ignore long time ago. CP's a alright poster but when it comes to SPURS or kobe talk he's just awful.
IDK he just can't put his homernes or hate aside.Its a damn shame.
30t6p3b.gif

Its really sad tho. Kinda feel bad for him.
tired.gif

The old Midwest division.
pimp.gif
Mavs (Dirk), Spurs (Duncan), Wolves (Garnett). Used to watch the battle of these guys all the time and never liked Duncan, but dude was always a silent assassin.

Timmy Legend is the man
one of the best players i have ever seen......and didnt play with nearly the talent that other multiple champions played with.....TD did more with less
how many of his teammates are HOFers? Drob doesnt count because after his back surgery his best days were behind him, still good but not great.......his championship vs the nets is one of the greatest feats a player has done EVER...everyone says a team wins championships you can't do it alone TD got pretty close with that roster.....
2003 playoffs he lead his team in points, rebs, assists, blocks......during playoffs only player to avg over 15 points only player to avg over 7 rebs only player to avg over 4 asst....last player to do that? in the title clinching game 21 points, 20 rebs, 10asst, 8 blocks.....at his best he was better than any big man in the last 20 years.....you can say shaq or dream but thats it.....i dont want to hear malone nonsense......TD was too busy being one of the best defenders to ever play the game to worry about scoring 28 a game playing with one of the best PGs ever

I don't really give a damn who people think the better player was. Dude is DEF appreciated. And Timmy was just so fun to watch. His footwork for a big man was impeccable and he was just flat out old school. Any true fan of basketball can really appreciate what Tim Duncan has brought to the game of basketball

facts! thats why I got the gray tim duncans foams brand new in the box! Never warn! I had to get two pair. One for me and one to sell 9.5! 

laugh.gif

Playoffs

Dunc at 32-33-34

20 and 8

19 and 10

13 and 10

Won 7 playoff games those 3 years. 

Karl at 32-33-34

26 and 10

26 and 11

26 and 11

He was blocked back to back years from a title, by Mike.  Won 36 games those 3 years.

Malone was a key player in the playoffs up til he was 38-39 before he trailed off.  And he started at the age of 22, Duncan at the age of 21. 

As I have said, Dunc died off soon as he hit 31-32, Malone was a major force til he his late 30's, and if not for MJ, might have some jewelry. 

Duncan's 4 came in a lockout year next to David Robinson, the 03 after LA exhausted themselves in back to back to back Finals, and 05 after Kobe and Shaq split, and then in 07 when someone else carried his title, as well as the weakest competition in the history of the NBA finals.  Oh and the 05 title, saved by??????  Robert Horry. 
wink.gif

Duncan is a great player.  Has 4 rings, nothing to argue there.  Half his career he played Center, and made the team list him as a PF, so he could claim to be that, but we aren't all stupid.  Karl was a PF for 19 seasons.  And was an elite/great PF for about 16-17 of those.  Duncan died off after 10-11 years, and 3-4 of those was as a Center. 

Like I said, nobody ever says anything because he won, and that is fine, but he didn't play the position he's called the best at half the time, and his 4 were the result of some rather fortunate timing, something that Malone did not have.  Karl was blocked by Magic for several years early, and then Mike late.  Duncan was blocked by Shaq/Kobe and Phil, til they seperated, and then he made up some ground.  Hell, at least Karl got his team to back to back finals, Duncan could never do that.  I catch hate for saying these things, but show me one single shred of anything that I have said incorrectly.  These are how the timing went for their careers.  If someone wishes for me to take a closer look at some things, by all means I will, but don't just laugh it off and say "he's the best, because he just is" and think that flies.  Naw. 

But hey, appreciated.  One of the all time best, I don't mean to make him sound like Luis Scola.  I just think his "legend" gets hyped up a bit without anyone checking the circumstances.  I could make a similar argument about Hakeem if I so desired. 
laugh.gif

Every thing you said about Duncan. Its not Duncan fault at all. Its not Duncan fault the NBA lockout. Its not Duncan fault LA exhausted themselves. The fortune timing is not Duncan fault either. btw Robery Horry Saved Kobe and Shaq a few times as well. Its Duncan Fault Malone couldnt get pass Magic and Jordan. What happen in 94 and 95 when Jordan retired?

"Big Fundamental." Nothing pretty about it, but extremely effective. His longevity is impressive. I liken Timmy and Pop's relationship similarly to Brady and Bill. Wouldn't have as many titles without each other and the winning system in-place.

Karl Malone was a better player than Duncan. Not a shot at Duncan, that's just how good Malone was.

Can't get on board with his style of play either. Cheap shot king along with Johnny, and while Stockton probably had to be he certainly didn't

Back
Top Bottom