Time travel thread

I don't think this will be achieved in our lifetime but I think it could one day be possible to go forward ,but there's no way in hell it will be possible to go backwards.

I don't think either is possible from what I've learned

I don't think this will be achieved in our lifetime but I think it could one day be possible to go forward ,but there's no way in hell it will be possible to go backwards.
All seriousness, why are you so hell bent on backwards NOT being possible? Especially considering you believe going forward could be possible

All seriousness, why are you so hell bent on backwards NOT being possible? Especially considering you believe going forward could be possible

Im in the same camp. How can you go to the past when it doesnt exist anymore? The future is yet to be made so its easier to believe that you can go somewhere where it hasnt happened yet I guess

Im in the same camp. How can you go to the past when it doesnt exist anymore? The future is yet to be made so its easier to believe that you can go somewhere where it hasnt happened yet I guess

My issue is yall are trying to use logic on something that we have no clue is even possible and/or exists.

That is all. The parameters don't exist for this tech, AFAIK, so I just don't see how we can be so sure

It's an interesting theory that all time is just an illusion and everything exists at the same time. Not sure if I believe it but it could be possible when you think about how we are barely just scratching the surface of science.

True only if you prescribe to the linear model of time

Science doesn't have a definite answer to this question yet

I’m gonna post the same thing on page 3 that I post on page 333 after this thread takes off...

What happened today should be a reminder to all of us to appreciate the loved ones in our lives: use things, love people - not the other way around.

If you think about, if time travel exsisted, and you used it to go back and change something, you wouldn’t even know it. If you built a time machine to go back, stop your mother form dying in a car accident and you succeeded, that version of you would cease to exist because the big hat event that’” caused you to build a time machine never happened. Time machines could be everyday tech, for that one purpose and we wouldn’t even know it.

Relativity and time dilation is a starting point to going "into the future"
Going "forward" in time works within the laws of physics
Not saying it's an answer and but it's at least something

There is no starting point in going backwards that I'm aware of.

Btw I really don't think going forward is 100% possible just possible.
We would have to find a way to travel the speed of light.

Then u have a whole other argument on what exactly is time, black holes etc.

alright i’ll try to contribute if it matters or is relevant or makes sense.

simple daylight savings time mistakes or sleeping without adjusting the clock, then waking up and realizing I am a couple of hrs ahead or behind.

another example, deja vu. In my dreams or reality i have said I have visited this place like 2 days ago. Sometimes Ive said I have visited some place in my dream, however I may have NOT in reality. Who knows if I could in the future?

:emoji_thinking:

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are on the right track.. But you're underestimating what's possible..today.

Right about one point though, if things change, you'd never know...except Berenstein Bears..and Shazam. I can confirm...both are as you remember. And Mandela died twice.

Let's talk about deja Vu..it's bigger than you think. Theyll try to tell you it's a tumor :lol:

Relativity and time dilation is a starting point to going "into the future"
Going "forward" in time works within the laws of physics
Not saying it's an answer and but it's at least something

There is no starting point in going backwards that I'm aware of.

Btw I really don't think going forward is 100% possible just possible.
We would have to find a way to travel the speed of light.

Then u have a whole other argument on what exactly is time, black holes etc.

As far as I understand, and I may be really off, we discussed this in an unsolved mysteries of the universe class I took a while back in school, the starting point for traveling backwards hinges M theory reconciling relativity and quantum mechanics. The idea is light speed travel becomes possible and can warp space-time to create wormholes connecting points in the universe and the wormholes would have to be stabilized with not yet discovered negative energy/mass, which is possible in quantum mechanics.

The problem with backwards travel is how relativity works with quantum mechanics. The hope is that the work being done on M theory is able to unify relativity and quantum mechanics and gives more insight and answers. Currently going backward doesn't fit in the established science, where going forward does to an extent as you mentioned, it terms of time dilation, length contraction, and the need to travel at or near light speed.

First and foremost this thread is only for those who are able to time travel forward or back in time.

Once you return from your journey, feel free to post what you did.

*anyone who hints at changing the past to change the current or future will be exposed as a liar

—————————————

I went forward in time one year from today and came back. 32 pages deep. Not bad. Also, the NBA free agency is still the same old story, nothing cool to report.

just to clarify this thread is for people who actually time travel, NOT a time travel discussion thread

*I have to repost this again in 3 years but it's fine

As far as I understand, and I may be really off, we discussed this in an unsolved mysteries of the universe class I took a while back in school, the starting point for traveling backwards hinges M theory reconciling relativity and quantum mechanics. The idea is light speed travel becomes possible and can warp space-time to create wormholes connecting points in the universe and the wormholes would have to be stabilized with not yet discovered negative energy/mass, which is possible in quantum mechanics.

The problem with backwards travel is how relativity works with quantum mechanics. The hope is that the work being done on M theory is able to unify relativity and quantum mechanics and gives more insight and answers. Currently going backward doesn't fit in the established science, where going forward does to an extent as you mentioned, it terms of time dilation, length contraction, and the need to travel at or near light speed.
I am too ignorant to understand what you said.

Can you break it down for a Jake Layman please.

I am too ignorant to understand what you said.

Can you break it down for a Jake Layman please.

So I'm not super clear on M theory, but as I understand it, it works to unify all the consistent versions of superstring theory. Superstring theory works to explain all the particles and fundamental forces under one theory. The biggest problem in theoretical physics is that general relativity (Einstein's theory of Gravity) explains gravitation, one of the fundamental forces and it explains it on a large scale level (stars, galaxies, clusters) while quantum mechanics explains the other 3 fundamental forces, but only at an atomic level. So to really understand the universe the two (general relativity and quantum mechanics) to reconcile and make sense together. M theory is the current favorite to do that, because people say the math behind it is really nice, so the hope is they can get experimental evidence to take it to the next step.

Have you seen interstellar? When they land on a planet near a black hole the gravity distorts time so one hour on that planet equal 7 years on earth. Same thing happens when you're moving at or near light speed which is the fundamental idea of relativity and the basic premise behind forward time travel.
If you travel close to the speed of light, you experience a phenomenon known as time dilation. Your motion through space and your motion through time are related by the speed of light: the greater your motion through space, the less your motion through time. Imagine you had a destination that was 40 light years away, and you were able to travel at incredibly high speeds: over 99.9% the speed of light. If you got into a spaceship and traveled very close to the speed of light towards that star, then stopped, turned around, and returned back to Earth, you'd find something odd.

Due to time dilation and length contraction, you might reach your destination in only a year, and then come back in just another year. But back on Earth, 82 years would have passed. Everyone you know would have aged tremendously. This is the standard way time travel physically works: it takes you into the future, with the amount of travel forward in time dependent only on your motion through space. - Ethan Siegel, astrophysicist https://www.forbes.com/sites/starts...d-really-physically-be-possible/#779438bd12db

To take it to the next step for instantaneous travel through space-time you need wormholes. To keep a wormhole from becoming a blackhole you'd need an opposite force to oppose gravity and stop it from closing in this case negative energy/mass which is theoretically possible in the laws of theoretical physics, but undiscovered.

The idea is if you can create a stable wormhole you could potentially time travel. There's a lot more to it, but I'm not a physics expert at all. I just took a class where we discussed it at a high level, so that's the best I got based on my understanding.

"Time Travel" is possible currently, you just need to be a really massive object that has a large effect on space-time. The earth does this to some extent though, the effect only very small level.(scientists used atomic clocks to measure the time difference between objects in earth orbit and objects on earth)

For a larger effect you'd need to travel to a massive black hole since it's the only thing atm we know of that can bend space-time to such a large degree. Only problem is, obviously travelling too close to a black hole will result in you become spaghetti.

The other way would be to go near the speed of light, since going at the speed of light would give you the extreme mass (like that of a black hole) you would be bending space-time and thus experience time on a slower scale than the people back home on earth.

Neither of those examples is like the "classic" style of time travel where you meet your grandparents, I'm not sure that is possible. It'd involve some weirdness like pocket/parallel universes.

just got back from next years Spring Break... at 35 the hang over is just unbearable

I think I am going to go back to 03 - anyone got a Vick jersey I can borrow? I will give it back in perfect condition... in fact, you won't even remember I borrowed it if you don't have our abilities or fully developed consciousness

Travelling forward through time is more conceivable because we are all travelling forward through time at this very moment

It's just slow

you are getting close to being one of us...

watched this years Super Bowl earlier this morning... excited to watch today's games to see how they got there

you are getting close to being one of us...

watched this years Super Bowl earlier this morning... excited to watch today's games to see how they got there
Teams and score of the Super Bowl :nerd: You can PM me if you don't want to tell everyone. I just want to know for educational purposes

Back
Top Bottom