Tipping etiquette when you're being treated

some people really worry about their servers like that?

I can see if it takes an hour for refills or for your food to come but.

you really going to worry about if it takes an extra 5 mins to do something? 

with this tipping situation what is wrong with so called profiling? aka sizing someone up. you seem really hung up on that word
in the end, if you were profiled correctly (think you're a bad tipper) you get bad service that you (not you specifically) aren't gonna tip well for anyways and if you are profiled incorrectly (think you're a good tipper) you get good service which you were expecting

You sir are correct. People profile all the time. Just walking thought the mall and those sales people that work in the carts size up people all day on who to approach. They are not Jehovah Witnesses which don't profile at all. :D

I guess people should profile to avoid people like Datznasty because they can make your job that much harder and not very rewarding.

Generally speaking, I do believe that there should be a cap. For example, if I spend $4,000 on a meal for 40, then $600+ tip is ok. But if I spend $4,000 for 4 people, then $400 is more than enough. Chances are you are just ordering very expensive items, but it does not take that much more work.

Nice and true
it's not an assumption. Hell, you just admitted yourself you will purposely let people's food get cold if they appear to you like someone who won't tip well. And you guys keep trynig to villanize me while you are purposely giving terrible service and simultaneously crying about the tips the same customers leave, like they should still tip you 30% after you treat them that way just to ge ton your good side for better service next time. Do you not have an intrinsic motivation to do your job at the best of your ability? Believe in the Golden rule? Would you want cold food? We have profiling to give terrible service, messing with people's food, and I'm the bad guy because I think the whole system is sheisty. Hilarious. Or maybe it's for not tipping the elevator button pressing guy, in which case I'll own it, along with an overwhelming majority of patrons who don't tip for such a useless service.

Last edited:
I'm not even discussing the subject of tipping anymore, but damn, have some pride in what you do. Why would you intentionally mess with someone's food or leave it out to get cold? What satisfaction do you get from that? For those who do this, I just hope that you don't cross the person who'll see to it that you lose your job that day or worse. Disgusting.

I never called you racist or said you have problems with black people. Post where I did and I'll FedEx you a cookie.

And as for "people who work in the industry," you all in this same threads are the ones who have owned up to purposely giving terrible service, and profiling (3 EXACT quotes from people who work in the industry;
I would say that approximately 75% of certain type of people don't tip. They come in with a sense if entitlement and are very bitter from the beginning. They complain all the time and try to create a false reason not to tip.
My solution would be to create two lines. One where the tip in included and you are guaranteed excellent service. Kind of like first class for airlines. Personally, the service is part of the dining experience especially at high end restaurants

Oh, and if you've waited tables,for the most part (there are surprises, but by and large ) YOU KNOW who is gonna tip and who is gonna treat you like a slave and give you jack$#*() before they even order
in the end, if you were profiled correctly (think you're a bad tipper) you get bad service that you (not you specifically) aren't gonna tip well for anyways and if you are profiled incorrectly (think you're a good tipper) you get good service which you were expecting)).

And Lakers is the one who said 75% of black people don't tip and posted a link to his cause, I haven't posted any videos of anything in this thread. Nomad is the one who posted the video about the guy who spit in a drink because he got mad they sent it back. So again, you are wrong.

But you and your "some people quote," you are the one taking it there, so maybe you're telling on yourself. Your lousy outlook on "some people" is based on experience you claim, you act like people couldn't have the same bad experience on waiters or any type of person the same way. You played yourself, trying to play victim that people are accusing you of being racist unfairly and then you said that dumb ****.

Last edited:
What does this mean then?
I never once mentioned race- but since you're so set on taking it there: i can tell you that over half of the restaurant waiters were black where i'm at in Dallas, and they would flip coins to see who would have to wait on some people.
Who are "some people?" Canadians? People with mustaches? If it's anything other than black people, your whole sentence wouldn't even make sense. For the record, I don't give any ***** what you think either, just pointing out you have proved my point. I haven't insinuated anything. I'm posting exact quotes. You're "informing" certainly hasn't shed a positive light on the profession by any means.

Some people. Won't tip or tip the proper amount yet they spend $$$ on overpriced, overhyped sneakers.....The irony

What does this mean then? Who are "some people?" Canadians? People with mustaches? If it's anything other than black people, your whole sentence wouldn't even make sense. For the record, I don't give any ***** what you think either, just pointing out you have proved my point. I haven't insinuated anything. I'm posting exact quotes. You're "informing" certainly hasn't shed a positive light on the profession by any means.
Unfortunately, you just do not understand the unwritten rules of society.  If so many people are upset at you illogical sense, some may wonder why you don't take a step back and analyze your stance.  You seem very stubborn about it and won't even attempt to understand the other side of this discussion.  

I have only one question.  Just answer it and move on.  This way, I can understand you better.

1.  Who deserves a tip and why?

LoL, dude you're hilarious. You accuse me of calling you racist when I never did, yet you defend yourself with a thinly veiled racist generilization, I called you on it, you backpedaled, then on the next reply come back with it again stronger. It has nothing to do with me being black, one of you said the same about immigrants and it's equally detestable because we all know damn well you aren't giving good service to people "you just know" (again, your own words) won't be good tippers. Y'all aren't flipping coins to avoid serving someone, only to then do an excellent job anyways at it after you loss at tryng to avoid it.

Lakers, I answered that the first time you asked around page 8. But a shorter summation, subjective and up to the consumer.

Guess I don't get the unwritten rule of not having to take pride in your work or do it up to the best of your abilities if you are disgruntled. In most other jobs, to much of that will get somebody a pink slip quick.

I tip 20-30 percent. Now for me to not tip you, you must have to do something horrendous like curse at me.

I understand that some waiters/waitresses are new at doing this so I expect some mistakes, I also understand the person not having a good day or them not feeling well. That doesnt mean I dont tip them. They do their job and the job they have they get a small base pay and rely on those tips. They have bills just like you and me, and for some of you dudes to say I dont tip because it's their job, that's ****** up. IMO

I feel like a top class restaurant equals a 25 - 30 percent tip. a dinner is a Lincoln unless bill is high than 20%. I always top at counter tip jars too. I was raised on being a good tipper. also I tip if a gratuity is added on either way I'll round it to the next ten ( if it ces to 23 Make it am even 30). I don't believe race is a factor, but I do see the reasoning of where that stereo type comes from.

I tip 20-30 percent. Now for me to not tip you, you must have to do something horrendous like curse at me.
I understand that some waiters/waitresses are new at doing this so I expect some mistakes, I also understand the person not having a good day or them not feeling well. That doesnt mean I dont tip them. They do their job and the job they have they get a small base pay and rely on those tips. They have bills just like you and me, and for some of you dudes to say I dont tip because it's their job, that's ****** up. IMO

In all honesty, it makes y'all (those who seem like y'all are too good to tip) look cheap. Maybe I feel some kind of way cause this is the life I live while paying for bills while in college, but nothing is worse than someone coming into a restaurant who's dressed like they got it made (you know, like NTers look), working you to get every little thing done, and then looking at the word "Gratuity" like its a foreign language

I can (slightly) understand if y'all didn't know that servers get barely anything in hourly money. I make $2.90/hr and that's actually high compared to some places close to where I work.

The way I was brought up, you never don't tip at all.
10% - Bad service
15% - Server did their job
18%+ - Exceptional service.

But y'all got the game messed up talking about "Its their job, tip for what?"

/rant

I also want to make another point: This one regards servers who do things to their customers food

I'm not even discussing the subject of tipping anymore, but damn, have some pride in what you do. Why would you intentionally mess with someone's food or leave it out to get cold? What satisfaction do you get from that? For those who do this, I just hope that you don't cross the person who'll see to it that you lose your job that day or worse. Disgusting.

I'm never going to condone servers doing anything to the food of the people their serving. Ever. I can't emphasize this enough.
What I will say however, is that at the end of the day don't disrespect the person who is providing you a service.

One of my former co-workers told a story of when he was working at Outback about him being in the weeds (when the restaurant is really busy and you're head over heels in doing duties for multiple tables) he had the child of one of his tables walk up to him and say "My mom told me to go ask the stupid server if he can bring some more rolls to the table because he's moving slower than molasses."
What was his response? He picked up two dinner rolls and rolled them across the kitchen floor. Put them on a plate and served them.

Like I said, I don't condone what he did, its actually messed up, but just because you "expect" someone to be catering to you in a certain type of way, be cognizant of how you treat them. He may or may not have been being slow, the point is, there is no need to disrespect someone who is providing a service (bringing you food that you ordered) cause you don't feel like cooking yourself.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom