tips on dunking

Use these for a couple of weeks

View media item 260315
...and you'll be doing this in no time!

View media item 260320
On a serious note, the varsity bball team back when i was in hs ('95) swore by these. Like the tips mentioned above, good proper strengthening exercises should help improve your vertical leap.

DC is the only one to mention core training and he is right. All the best Dunkers had/have great core strength and flexibility. Work on your core. In my college days, this is what gave me the most hops.

Now I'm soggy in the middle and definitely notice the lack of vertical inspiration... Lol

Work on deep squatting and deadlifts only if you have the proper strength foundation and form. Those exercises should add 5-10 inches to your vertical. If you don't believe me check out the vert of some powerlifters.

I like what I'm seeing on Jump manual...I'm 31 and currently on a weight loss program. My goal is to be dunking again this summer. Haven't dunked in many, many years

Last edited:
I'm 6'1

30 years old and can still dunk on a good day. I used to be in dunk contests and lost to a guy who is 5'8. Dunked on KG in a high school game. Here are the things I have learned over the years.

1. Find a lower rim and learn to jump and dunk. Silly as it sounds, there is a mental block to "throwing down". Learn how to wind your body up and what it is like to put ball through hoop.
- this is why volleyball is a great sport to play/practice. learning to jump is key, although it is a different kind of jump.
- volleyballs also make great for practicing actual dunking. easier to palm and you can learn the motion

2. Everyone underestimates their arms. Working your arms and shoulders are essential. Off of one leg they can propel your momentum upwards. Watch MJ in the dunk contests.

3. 5'8 dude would do 500 calf raises at home a a day. Do some.

4. Game dunking is different from practice dunking. The best time to practice jumping is after a workout/practice.

5. I had a friend give me strength shoes that I used for a summer. I didn't even use them right since I had no program or manual. Just the fact that you are on your toes helps. I would jog 2 miles in those suckers and do line jumps.

Last edited:
I'm about 6'0, 6'1

I can dunk off vert, with 2 hands, aggressively :lol:

I'd say maybe you just don't have it in you to dunk. Stick to fancy lay ups

I'm 6'2 and can graze the rim with my fingertips. :lol:

Will look into some of the things posted.

I'm 6'1" play football and have a 41" standing vert.

One of the things that works really well for explosive strength are hang cleans. Hang cleans are one of the best exercises at mimicking an actual jump.

ATG squats also work well as do explosive barbell calf raises.

Also flexibility is a big part of it too. The more flexible you are the more potential power output your muscles can produce.

I wish I could dunk... closest I ever got was grabbing rim after doing plyometric exercises in hs for a month. I'm 5'8.

Definitely look up plyometric exercises and power lifting exercises. Squats, power cleans, deadlifts will all help you in your cause.

Reading this stuff makes me want to get back and try to dunk. :lol:

always dreamed of dunking, still one of my goals and want to put it on my med school application if i do it (serious)
5'9 can hang on the rim in warmups when im really hyped, on most days just can pull it down

squatting helped me gain some inches on my vert (grabbing rim now)

Once you can get 225 5 times with great form, do plyos

5 inches away at 6'? Get to them plyometrics.

5'8 and informally inducted to the Rim Touching Club circa 2011 :pimp:

Back
Top Bottom