UFC/Pride Fans: What Are The MUST HAVE Events/Fights?

I just recently got into MMA (I know Late
eyes.gif
) but what are some of theMUST SEE cards and what are the must see fights?

Just downloaded PRIDE 34 and about to watch my man Big Butter
pimp.gif

I know you're really into pro wrestling, and I think that the UFC really does a good job selling story lines to magnify the importance of the matches. Soinstead of pimping you individual events, I'm going to pimp you story lines.

BJ Penn vs. Matt Hughes

Matt Hughes essentially dominated the Welterweight division and BJ took the opportunity to jump up from the Lightweight division to fight him for the belt atUFC 46. Matt was the favorite, but BJ wins the belt, only to be subsequently stripped of the title after signing with K1. Penn makes his return at UFC 58 andloses a split decision to GSP, then gets straight owned by then Champ Hughes after injuring his during their match at UFC 63 (BJ jumped in for an injured GSP,who ws the #1 contender). This actually takes us to an interesting "feud" that stems from this...

Matt Hughes vs. GSP

A young GSP loses to Hughes during Hughes' prime at UFC 50. After the BJ Penn fiasco, Hughes regains the belt, and after the match to determine the #1contender between GSP and BJ (at UFC 58), GSP gets into the ring after the Hughes/BJ rematch at UFC 63 and essentially says that his "was notimpressed" by Hughes' performance. This sets up their match up at UFC 65, where GSP starts his rise to the top of the Welterweight division.

Throw in an upset by Matt Serra over GSP at UFC 69, followed up by the build up of Serra vs. Hughes during th 6th season of The Ultimate Fighter where Serraand Hughes were opposing coaches. Serra gets hurt before their match at UFC 79 and GSP steps in and beats Hughes again, setting up Serra vs. GSP to unify theinterim and actual belts. Avoiding the upset, GSP straight demolishes Serra (UFC 83), and dominates a hot Jon Fitch (at UFC 87).

This all sets up the upcoming BJ Penn vs. GSP match later this month.

Matt Hughes has found himself in the middle of a lot of "fueds" during his dominance of the welterweight division. I almost feel guilty that Ididn't include his two matches vs. Frank Trigg (at UFC 45 and 52). But I guess now I just included them.

There are a ton of other fights that I think you have to see and for many different reasons.

can never remember which card was which number (and who would want to?).

however:

The GSP vs. hughes III card was fantastic, even if just for the liddell/wandy fight.

This past ufc, the forrest/rashad card, was chalk full of great finishes.

the bj/pulver II card was free on tv but one of my favs just because of the jiu jitsu clinic that bj put on in that fight.

there are more but if i think of them later ill add them.

The inevitable GSP/Thiago Alves match will be fireworks

Penn and Florian need to lock horns already

Anderson Silva vs Rashad Evans at 205 is something ive been wondering about for a while as well

EDIT: I misread the title. I thought you meant as far as future fights
embarassed.gif

UFC 92 is a must-watch. hell of a card

Liddell/Wanderlei from December '07 was excellent

Matt Hughes vs Frank Trigg from a few years ago was spine chilling and easily one of the best come from behind victories ive ever seen

Bonnar/Griffin 1

Watch out for Anthony Johnson too. This guy is gonna be huge. mark my words.

Originally Posted by Club29

Anderson Silva vs Rashad Evans at 205 is something ive been wondering about for a while as well

embarassed.gif

Matt Hughes vs Frank Trigg from a few years ago was spine chilling and easily one of the best come from behind victories ive ever seen

Bonnar/Griffin 1

That's the dude that won Ultimate Fighter this year right? He looked like a hell of a fighter.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Originally Posted by Club29

embarassed.gif

Bonnar/Griffin 1

That's the dude that won Ultimate Fighter this year right? He looked like a hell of a fighter.

No i believe you're thinking of either Ryan Bader or Efrain Escudero. Both are excellent prospects however.

this is Anthony Johnson (after completely tooling TUF 6 Runner-up Tommy Speer)

JohnsonKOSpeer.aim640.jpg

To be honest, there really aren't any big 'must see' single events, but rather single fights that are worth watching.

Any of the Ultimate Knockout DVD's would be a good start to see some good finishes.

Also, any fights featuring Anderson Silva, Georges St. Pierre, Kid Yamamoto, BJ Penn or even Roger Huerta are worth watching IMO.

Bushido 9 - best ever
PRIDE 33 - just sick

watch gomi's rise to the top. its awesome. too bad he isnt mentally focased this year.

Also, seeing as how you just got into MMA, what is it that interests you about it?

Are you into wrestling, Jui Jitsu, Muay Thai, etc? Do you wanna see fights with slick submissions, ground & pound or crazy knockouts?

That'll help when recommending what fights you 'need' to watch.

Pride Shockwave 2004
Pride 10 Return of the Warriors
Pride 33 Second Coming
Pride Final Conflict Absolute
Pride 25 Body Blow

Those are my favorite Pride events. I'm probably missing a lot more.

I finally watched that Razor Rob vs. Donald Ceronne match last night from WEC Best of 2008.

That was a war. I have no idea how Razor Rob made it to the end of that match.

Hell, all 4 matches they showed were awesome.

It was a great year for WEC. The didn't have a single bad show all year.

Originally Posted by ShannonsCrooks

Takanori Gomi v. Nick Diaz is one of the better fights I have seen in quite some time.

some of the best back n forth action i ever seen
pimp.gif

top 3

I use MMA DVD's when I shadow box at home. Keep them on while I do my routine for 5 minutes. Then rest. Then back at it.

Agreed with Pride Bushido 9 DVD. Great fights on there.

Check out UFC's Best of 2007 DVD. I picked it up on a whim and it has some great fights on there. Good "Best of" reel to get you familiar.

I'll giive you 5 from each:

Bushido 9 is the best MMA event ever, Bushido 7 is also very good. Final Conflict 2005, Shockwave 2004, and PRIDE 33 would be my other 3. Definitely check outthe dynasty collections that come with 5 events for like $16, all of them except the first volume. If you're just downloading though then that doesn'tmatter.

Prior to this year: 47, 49, 52, 59, and 76. There were some really solid shows from 39-45 and early 60s you should check out too.

Originally Posted by demonbasketball04

Originally Posted by ChrisPhenephom

i shadow box to the rob park kid yamamoto highlight
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

gets my blood pumpin
smokin.gif

HELLLLL YEAHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sig check...

Haha! Same here! Sick highlight! KID is a bad ++! fighter!
pimp.gif

Also check out the Tito Ortiz vs Chuck Liddell fights

Wanderlei Silva vs Rampage I, II and of course III
pimp.gif

I think 116 is a must see card. TOp to bottom, it might be the most exciting card I have seen.

Back
Top Bottom