*Unguarded*-The story of Chris Herren. ESPN TONIGHT 8 PM

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

You know its real when you can bring soiders to tears
30t6p3b.gif

That man's wife was a god send, any normal woman would've been left him after the airport situation let alone the birth of their third child.

Yeah you're right about his ability to touch people, can't count the amount of people who broke down after hearing him or talking about him.
Bro...u aint lying.

I asked my girl if she'd stay with me through all of that and she said HELL NO! 
laugh.gif

That's a good woman he's got...he'd probably be dead w/o her in his life. 

It is crazy to hear that Nick Van Exel made sure Herren didn't get in trouble and the veterans on that team scarified going out on the road so that Herren wouldn't mess up again. That is great.

Originally Posted by pdoggy85

Was anyone else bothered by the constant Under Armor product placement?
While some of the footage of his speech was from last year's Brandon Jennings Invitational in Milwaukee, you did see him, his family and his children in UA clothing a lot. That's because an executive at Under Armour Basketball was actually the team manager on his Fresno State team. They've always kept in touch, and Chris has had a lot of support and encouragement from the UA team. Herren was wearing the all black Brandon Jennings Meister watch throughout the movie too. 
As far as his friends being enablers (which is true) and his return to Boston being his downfall, Herren has an interesting quote about the blame placed on those around him, and how even without them he was able to continue abusing drugs all around the world. He's pretty honest about always being the problem and never once has blamed anyone else for any decision he's made.

"The reality is, I've lived in seven different foreign countries and six different American cities and I found drugs in all of them. So it's not where you live, it's the person that you're bringing there."

It's truly a sad story and it's hard to really predict where his skills might've realistically taken him had he been a focused and dedicated player that never encountered drugs. I tend to think his true peak wasn't as lofty as people like to imagine, but I think the good he's doing now in talking with up and coming players and at high schools around the country clearly far outweighs anything he might've accomplished on a basketball court.

And yes, TONS of respect to Antonio McDyess and Nick Van Exel for all they tried to do during his first year, and Chris Mullin deserves some credit too for the help he provided after.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Cake, someone is watching out for this man....you gotta think about the chances we get in life.  Sometimes all you get is one...maaaaybe, two and that's it.  Granted, he's done a lot of it to himself....but how many times has he been to hell and back?  Unbelievable.  And to think he STILL has his family in his corner.  He'll always be an addict.  I think he realizes this.  However, if he ever is teetering on the fine line between going back to drugs and staying clean, I hope he takes a real good look at his 3 BEAUTIFUL kids and realizes what he has in life.  I do believe he has some sort of "gift."  Just look at the effect he had on Tark, those HSers, the other people in rehab, etc...those were some genuine hugs/tears.  As much as he's spreading the word of his troubles, he has a lot of people in his corner pulling for him.  Like I said before...I just hope he can stay clean. 

Yea that is what is crazy about all of this. I hope he stays clean man. I know it must be hard living with those regrets day after day. Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Finally got around to watching this doc. Very moving to say the least, hope he continues his life of sobriety.

Back
Top Bottom