Update: As of 3/11/2013, Judge ruled to halt Bloomberg's banning of large sodas

Count me as disappointed. McDonalds did the same thing when they stopped selling supersize fries, and not many complained. Gotta start somewhere with this obesity issue in the USA

I STILL DON'T GET HOW THIS IS RELEVANT?

IF THEY CAN'T BUY A 32 OZ, WHAT'S STOPPING THEM FROM JUST BUYING TWO 16 OZ.? OR JUST MORE OF THE SMALLER DRINKS IN GENERAL?

i have been preaching this from day 1. and the absolute sad part is that a lot of places offer unlimited refills, so this restriction wasn't making that much of an impact. the whole point was to send a message.

you truly are a fat bastard and deserve all sorts of coronary problems if you still desire a big *** container to hold your soda in this day and age.

Last edited:

IF THEY CAN'T BUY A 32 OZ, WHAT'S STOPPING THEM FROM JUST BUYING TWO 16 OZ.? OR JUST MORE OF THE SMALLER DRINKS IN GENERAL?
i have been preaching this from day 1. and the absolute sad part is that a lot of places offer unlimited refills, so this restriction wasn't making that much of an impact. the whole point was to send a message.
well da law was blocked because it was riddled with so many loopholes it was basically worthless on a moral standpoint.

freedom >>>>>>>>>>>>

well da law was blocked because it was riddled with so many loopholes it was basically worthless on a moral standpoint.

freedom >>>>>>>>>>>>

freedom >>> da hemi even?

i get loopholes. and idk about law to say that the mayor doesn't have the authority to put that kind of restriction in place. but it was simple enough to get around. buy two sodas (you wouldn't need to if you gettin refills anyways) and that was the point.

thats like buying a diet coke vs regular coke. its really not that much better. same thing. the act of buying 1 GIANT soda apparently isn't as bad as buying two smaller sodas. because 2 sodas in general sounds worse. either way the message is if you have to buy the big *** size or two, you are a fat ************.

freedom >>>>>>>>>>>>
freedom >>> da hemi even?

i get loopholes. and idk about law to say that the mayor doesn't have the authority to put that kind of restriction in place. but it was simple enough to get around. buy two sodas (you wouldn't need to if you gettin refills anyways) and that was the point.

thats like buying a diet coke vs regular coke. its really not that much better. same thing. the act of buying 1 GIANT soda apparently isn't as bad as buying two smaller sodas. because 2 sodas in general sounds worse. either way the message is if you have to buy the big *** size or two, you are a fat ************.
thats da point, if da rule is pointless, why even institute it. and da mayor was caught over reaching, da majority of NYCers thought it

was silly.

It's disgusting. It pisses me off everyday. These folks are allowing young children to follow in their footsteps. Kids are not encouraged to play outside anymore, eat all this junk, drink sodas left and right. Do something about this as a country!

^
I blame the education/school system more than the parents. If the parents are fat and don't know any better, what the hell are they going to teach their kids? They wouldn't know much about nutrition or fitness. Schools need to stop letting kids just sit around during gym class. They need to stop cutting out recess because they can't schedule the school day better. Stop serving the crap they serve during lunch. Teach them about nutrition and how to cook in home economics classes. Kids spend more time in school than they do at home.

531509_10152645969030206_1716268757_n.jpg

Count me as disappointed. McDonalds did the same thing when they stopped selling supersize fries, and not many complained. Gotta start somewhere with this obesity issue in the USA
McD's is a company and can do as they wish. This is a law preventing the sales of large sodas in the city. Not comparable

The theory behind the 16 ounce:

Proponents saw the regulations differently, as a form of "soft paternalism." That phrase comes from economist Richard Thaler and legal scholar Cass Sunstein, who argued in their 2008 book Nudge that governments can and should structure citizens' choices to encourage sensible decision making and healthier lives. Mayor Bloomberg's proposed ban, according to supporters, would not have taken away citizens' freedom of choice -- they could have purchased as many 16-ounce sodas as they chose -- but it would have arranged the "choice architecture" in such a way that it made it more difficult to choose badly.

This behavioral economics theory is based on sound psychological science, specifically decades of work on cognitive heuristics and biases. For example, the "default heuristic" -- or what Thaler and Sunstein label the "status quo bias" -- describes the powerful human tendency to continue a course of action once it's been chosen, even when it's harmful. Changing course requires cognitive work, so it's easier to stick with the status quo. Banning extra-large sugary drinks would merely make consuming 20 or 32 ounces more effortful, thus diminishing the likelihood of that choice. The ban would alter people's habits and customs over time.

Another powerful bias -- called the "unit bias" -- describes the strong human preference for a single portion of anything. Left unregulated, most people will eat only one of whatever they are offered, but they will finish one serving regardless of the size. So in theory, the New York City prohibition would have diminished the likelihood that people would actually go back for a second 16-ounce soda. Over time, such choice architecture would have reduced overall consumption of unhealthy and fattening beverages -- and addressed the runaway obesity epidemic, supporters say.

Personally, I agree with the ban because psychologically I know it will curb the attitude towards consuming sugary products. But that slippery soap effect is an issue. Whats to stop them from creating more and more legislation impairing other freedoms.

If you think about it, most of this stuff is already happening. Like acts like SOPA and PIPA showing up, and the continued fight by powerful congressman and now even the United Nations to sensor the Internet of certain material. So its like, fight this so we feel like we have some sense of control, but this might help many of Nyers/Americans... I get the feeling it might register in some people brains that portion control is a serious issue... Like when I go to sonic with my sister or friends, I never order a route 44, but everyone around me does, and I'm always saying you don't even need all of that? I don't even like getting sonic drinks because of the artificial flavors and the sugar content, but it happens at seldom times... anyways you get the point...

Anyways, as far as the ban goes, its only happening in New York, it might be sure to follow other city and states, but I'm down to see how it works out there....

McD's is a company and can do as they wish. This is a law preventing the sales of large sodas in the city. Not comparable

Who cares? It's a good thing. Stop the ridiculous portions. No one needs or should have a soda that big.

Who cares? It's a good thing. Stop the ridiculous portions. No one needs or should have a soda that big.
Then why don't we just outlaw soda all together? No one needs to drink soda, period. There is no nutritional value. I think the same thing about drug legalization. Once you start telling people what to do with THEIR OWN BODY, you've crossed a major line.

I hate how people try to control another persons life. Ban soda, then BAN ALCOHOL too. Less drinking and driving, less people dying.

It was a pointless battle to fight

He goes on TV and says his guilty pleasure is cheese it's. Well some fat **** has a guilty pleasure that is giant sodas. This isn't his personal playground.

Put affordable, organic food in the hood and limit the amount of liquor stores and fast food available and I'll applaud him.

Banning ciggs from bars was a good idea. This was silly and useless.

Last edited:
I honestly believe that some people just eat to eat. Like hey, it's 1pm i'm suppose to be eating lunch right now let me go grab a huge meal. This was a good thing, America doesn't wanna lose weight on their own so maybe the Government does need to help them out!

isnt that kind of the point?

the message being "if you insist on having sugar, get ready to pay more for it"

Back
Top Bottom