*USA Basketball* WOMEN EARN GOLD v. ESP (101-72)! MEN EARN GOLD v. SRB (96-66)!

Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan

Originally Posted by Scientific Method

Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan

They don't need anything Westbrook has to offer though. He may have been a top player on that 2010 team, but on the Olympic team his role would change immensely. If they have to decide between Rose, Westbrook and Deron Williams, Westbrook is third on my list.

His defense was amazing, not to mention his game changing athleticism and scoring off the bench and he even played some alongside Derrick Rose as the 2. But the defense Westbrook, Iggy, and Gordon played all warrants them getting better consider than people who are just assuming the 12 most popular names are giving them.
His defense is a good point. They don't have any designated defenders outside of Howard if they go with the "big names". Unless you consider James, Wade as their "stoppers".
Kobe can shut down any perimeter player he wants to. I think Lebron steps up the defense a notch in games that mean something. Bosh played a defensive role in 2008 and played it very well.

Originally Posted by gaseousfashion

I knew Kobe wouldn't turn down a chance to win another championship.
I see what you're doing, but i think it's a bit unfair to categorize it that way. It's Team USA. If you're one of the best players in your sport, you should be interested in representing your country. Kobe didn't for a long time, but he came around. I'm still irked at the guys who dropped out in 2004 for dubious reasons. Now you have guys fighting to be on that team. That's a good thing.

However, in terms of hardware, the list of players with two golds is small. However, the list of players with two golds and five championships is even smaller (Jordan and Pippen). I think that definitely is a factor in the decision to play. However, to plainly view it as "a chance to win another championship" is a bit inaccurate.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

I see what you're doing, but i think it's a bit unfair to categorize it that way. It's Team USA. If you're one of the best players in your sport, you should be interested in representing your country. Kobe didn't for a long time, but he came around. I'm still irked at the guys who dropped out in 2004 for dubious reasons. Now you have guys fighting to be on that team. That's a good thing.

However, in terms of hardware, the list of players with two golds is small. However, the list of players with two golds and five championships is even smaller (Jordan and Pippen). I think that definitely is a factor in the decision to play. However, to plainly view it as "a chance to win another championship" is a bit inaccurate.
Its just another way for people to try to discredit Kobe.  Stupid, but not surprising.

Originally Posted by srvballer

What I think would be the most complete and successful 12 man roster..

Chris Paul
Kobe Bryant
Kevin Durant
Lebron James
Dwight Howard

Deron Williams
Dwyane Wade
Carmelo Anthony
Kevin Love
Lamarcus Aldridge
Eric Gordon
Chris Bosh
And yes I'm leaving Rose off.

Originally Posted by dland24

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Its just another way for people to try to discredit Kobe.  Stupid, but not surprising.
As a fan of Kobe, I would rather see him rest during the summer due to his long list of injuries.
"Selfishly, obviously you want (them) to relax at home," Brown said. "You always think about the possibility of getting hurt and all that stuff, but at the end of the day, to tell a guy to not be able to put on his country uniform and go represent, that's not right, nor is that fair of me, so I never do it. I think if they're lucky enough to go do that, it's an honor and they should go ahead and go do it. But, if for some reason they were sick and they stayed home, I'd be OK with that, too." 

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Chris Paul
Kobe Bryant
Kevin Durant
Lebron James
Dwight Howard

Deron Williams
Derrick Rose
Dwyane Wade
Carmelo Anthony
Kevin Love
Lamarcus Aldridge
Eric Gordon
Chris Bosh
And yes I'm leaving keeping Rose off on.
perfect roster, my man. 

Originally Posted by amel223

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Chris Paul
Kobe Bryant
Kevin Durant
Lebron James
Dwight Howard

Deron Williams
Derrick Rose
Dwyane Wade
Carmelo Anthony
Kevin Love
Lamarcus Aldridge
Eric Gordon
Chris Bosh
And yes I'm leaving keeping Rose off on.
perfect roster, my man. 

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
@ Rose over Deron

Thoughts on this comment?
DraftExpress Jonathan Givony 

If I'm Jerry Colangelo I use the USA training camp spot opened up by Billups on Kyrie Irving.Keep him in US talent pool. May need him later?

Not in danger of defecting to a competitor. And not as good a fit as Irving for international style. RT @Shaun033: What about Rondo for USA?

Indeed. RT @C_Henderson76: Coach K connection should help with Irving. He could be really good in the 2014 World Championship & '16 Olympics

Marc J. Spears @SpearsNBAYahoo Close

USA Hoops' Jerry Colangelo tells Y! Sports he doesn't plan to replace Billups on Olympic roster but he is worried about rash of NBA injuries

He better replace him. Why not give the next guy a shot
eyes.gif

Kyrie is my guy but he shouldn't be invited until the World Championships.

sooo with harden playing well.. and eric gordon ummmm, not playing at all..

am i still crazy/being a homer for suggesting that harden should get a shot? (especially if wade or kobe have to decline due to injury AND the lack of solid SGs in the NBA presently)

this is from hollinger's all-suspected surprises team:
Among shooting guards who have played more than five games and didn't visit a German knee doctor this past summer, Harden is first in PER. He's also nearly leading the Thunder in the same category, which is pretty impressive considering the two other All-Stars on the roster. Harden continues to refine his pick-and-roll wizardry, sharply upping his efficiency through the first 11 games. Harden's 19.5 assist ratio is almost in point guard territory, while his 22.7 points per 40 minutes signify his evolution into an A-list primary scoring threat.

The real kicker, though, is the efficiency. Harden's 65.3 TS% is the best of any player with a usage rate above 20 and more than five games played; he's drawing 6.8 free throw attempts per game despite taking nearly half his shots from beyond the 3-point line, producing a lethal cocktail of high-value scoring chances.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Thoughts on this comment?

If I'm Jerry Colangelo I use the USA training camp spot opened up by Billups on Kyrie Irving.Keep him in US talent pool. May need him later?

Not in danger of defecting to a competitor. And not as good a fit as Irving for international style. RT @Shaun033: What about Rondo for USA?

Indeed. RT @C_Henderson76: Coach K connection should help with Irving. He could be really good in the 2014 World Championship & '16 Olympics

isnt kyrie irving australian? how does that work?

Kyrie expressed some interest in playing for Australia or something, right?

Rose isn't a great defender, isn't a reliable spot-up shooter and needs the ball in his hands to be effective.  There is a reason why he didn't stand out during the FIBA tournament and then went on to win MVP as soon as the season started.
Rose and Wade bring to many of the same things to the table.  Deron Williams is better for international play especially considering he just was over there for 6 weeks and raped the competition.  Rose is a top 5 player but I don't think he fits for this team, in this competition.  

He'll make the squad regardless though.

Kyrie has dual citizenship so he could play for Australia but only if he gets a waiver from FIBA since he played for the U18 US National team in 2010

He can play now and lose if they clear him or play later and win.

Originally Posted by MzD650

So I am sure I am going to get flamed by Chicago fanboys, but.......

I dont understand what role Derrick Rose plays on this team, I really dont. I mean, you want him to be a point guard? Well he is clearly the third best distributer of the current roster. He is clearly behind Chris Paul and Deron Williams. So USA really doesnt need him as a point guard. Rose is decent on defense, but he certainly isnt great at it. He isnt a great shooter, so you cant use him as your 3 point threat.

Scoring is without question, Derrick Rose's best attribute. But does the USA really need more scoring? Between LeBron, Wade, Kobe, Durant, and Carmelo, I think it is safe to say that this team does NOT need more scoring.

So where does that leave Rose? In my opinion, it should leave him off the roster.  
100% Cosign with this. 

If three point guards are on the roster Westbrook should be the third.

I'd LOVE to see this concept:

On years we had the Olympics and World Basketball Championships, instead of playing All-Star Weekend East vs. West, we had an International Friendly. USA vs. World All Stars or something like that.

Thoughts?

Oh - and here's my projected squad:

CP3
Kobe Bryant
KD
LBJ
D Howard

D. Wade
D. Rose
Melo
C. Bosh
D. Williams
K. Love
L. Aldridge

If I'm Kyrie, I go the Austrailia route. Not sure if he'll ever get a shot in UNA with the great PG play

Back
Top Bottom