USC RB Stafon Johnson in hosptial after weightroom accident

Originally Posted by Matt Barkley Heisman Number 8

according to his dad hes still in surgery having his vocal cords reconstructed. hopefully all goes well.

damn, dude's voice could be messed up

never had it happen to me, but is it possible he cramped up in his arm at the top of his lift before it slipped out?

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Probably used an open (thumbless) grip for Bench Press. If any if you press like this, stop.

Dropping bars on your throat/chest doesn't happen with a wrapped grip.
this is what most likely happened

bar can easily fall out of your hand if you lose it, not worth the couple extra lbs you get while holding it like that if you ask me

Probably used an open (thumbless) grip for Bench Press. If any if you press like this, stop.

i used to always use a thumbless grip for the simple fact i was told the bar wasnt supposed to sit all the way in your hand
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Pmighty

i used to always use a thumbless grip for the simple fact i was told the bar wasnt supposed to sit all the way in your hand
nerd.gif
i was told that to but after this @$++ that

^ watching other ones on youtube(falling on chest though) make you realize how bad it was.

^ suicide grip

USC Trojans tailback Stafon Johnson is awake and communicating via writing and handsignals less than a day after emergency surgery to repair throat injuries from a weightlifting accident, according to a doctor at the hospital where he isbeing treated.

Dr. Gudata Hinika, the trauma medical director at California Hospital Medical Center, said Johnson is giving thumbs up signs and communicating in writing tohis mother and teammates after undergoing a seven-hour surgery to repair a crushed neck and larynx.

Johnson is in critical but stable condition, the hospital told ESPN's Shelly Smith.

Johnson, a senior who scored the No. 7 Trojans' go-ahead touchdown against Ohio State two weeks ago, was bench-pressing Monday when the bar slipped fromhis right hand and fell onto his throat. He underwent more than seven hours of surgery to treat crushing injuries to his neck as well as severe injuries to hislarynx.

Stan Johnson, the player's father, told ESPN's Smith that his son needed a tracheotomy to enable him to breathe.

Hinika said a man of lesser stature would have died from the injuries, but the thickness of Johnson's neck muscles helped him to breathe and probablysaved his life.

Hinika said Johnson is expected to fully recover, but would not speculate on the recovery prognosis for Johnson's vocal chords. It may take as long assix weeks before doctors even ask Johnson to attempt to speak, depending on factors such as swelling, he explained.

The doctors are trying to wean Johnson off a ventilator, and he is being fed through a tube in his stomach.

USC Trojans tailback Stafon Johnson is awake and communicating via writing and handsignals less than a day after emergency surgery to repair throat injuries from a weightlifting accident, according to a doctor at the hospital where he isbeing treated.

Dr. Gudata Hinika, the trauma medical director at California Hospital Medical Center, said Johnson is giving thumbs up signs and communicating in writing tohis mother and teammates after undergoing a seven-hour surgery to repair a crushed neck and larynx.

Johnson is in critical but stable condition, the hospital told ESPN's Shelly Smith.

Johnson, a senior who scored the No. 7 Trojans' go-ahead touchdown against Ohio State two weeks ago, was bench-pressing Monday when the bar slipped fromhis right hand and fell onto his throat. He underwent more than seven hours of surgery to treat crushing injuries to his neck as well as severe injuries to hislarynx.

Stan Johnson, the player's father, told ESPN's Smith that his son needed a tracheotomy to enable him to breathe.

Hinika said a man of lesser stature would have died from the injuries, but the thickness of Johnson's neck muscles helped him to breathe and probablysaved his life.

Hinika said Johnson is expected to fully recover, but would not speculate on the recovery prognosis for Johnson's vocal chords. It may take as long assix weeks before doctors even ask Johnson to attempt to speak, depending on factors such as swelling, he explained.

The doctors are trying to wean Johnson off a ventilator, and he is being fed through a tube in his stomach.

I'm sure he'll be fine, but damn, critical condition? That's a lot worse than I initially thought.

bruh he had 200+ lbs dropped on his throat, that aint no paper cut.
Dr. Hinika said a man of lesser stature would have died from the injuries, but the thickness of Johnson's neck muscles helped him to breathe and probably saved his life.
daaaamn

Glad that it looks like he'll be alright. It's just a good reminder for everyone else to be careful when you're in the gym...

Damn on a vent and a g-tube?

Ouch, recovery is gonna be tough but I'm sure he'll recover.

Isn't this the same young man who sang Lean On Me when Pete Carroll brought in Bill Withers to meet with USC?

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Dr. Hinika said a man of lesser stature would have died from the injuries, but the thickness of Johnson's neck muscles helped him to breathe and probably saved his life.
daaaamn
eek.gif
makes me want to get my neck game up...but hopefully dude pulls through...

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

*do any of yall kinda hold up your workouts in the gym when you see folks w. no spotter trying to put up too much weight? Not necessarily asking them for a spot, but watching out of the corner of your eye in case something goes wrong....
Always.
laugh.gif

I hate seein dudes in the gym by themselves throwin around huge weight...
One time I was doing some curls facing the mirror when I see out the corner of my eye a dude with the bar sitting on his throat giving me the,"%%$! help me out look." I walked over and helped him and he thanks. He was doing two plates.

Back
Top Bottom