Using own startup capital or using outside investors?

I don't know why cats are talking all this big money stuff. Start small and work up. No one here is making huge deals let's be real. We're all mid 20s I'm assuming. Just learn now get your bread up and make small moves.

I don't know why cats are talking all this big money stuff. Start small and work up. No one here is making huge deals let's be real. We're all mid 20s I'm assuming. Just learn now get your bread up and make small moves.

This is basically what i said in my post

But dudes still don't want to use their brain , if you want to start a 300k company but don't have the money. You have to start small and keep flipping until you get to that level . That is how most good companies start
nah...

You kicked a ton of nonsense in there but that was by far the most ridiculous.

VC ain't touching anything under 6 figures from an investment standpoint.

10k... People have that on their savings account, bruh. That ain't real money.

Dame dash has a litany of bad business preserves and y'all taking his word as gold.

I think you were the same dude from the thread on the music forum, right?

Try starting a business that requires 300k in capital then come back with that "use your own money" nonsense..

More power to you for doing your thing... And I hope you have thick margins and don't have to work at a safe 9-5 and just do your business...

But some of the stuff you said was flat out wrong.

Point to one thing that i said was wrong besides the VC "example" lol

You have to start small and keep flipping your money ... its that simple

You don't need to borrow money until you have to scale your business. If you need 300k to start and you make $20 hour lol clearly you have to start something smaller ,Its common sense .

Most big businesses start small

Last edited:
If you can't start small and make more you can't manage your damn money and have no business trying to get any farther. :lol: start small. Start selling hot dogs. Importing bulk from China, selling range rovers to China. Who cares. It's how you learn.

Shark tank isn't real life.

Last edited:
If you can't start small and make more you can't manage your damn money and have no business trying to get any farther. :lol: start small. Start selling hot dogs. Importing bulk from China, selling range rovers to China. Who cares. It's how you learn.

Exactly

This isn't the 1980's , you don't need 100k to make a million . The internet has made it where you can make 10k a month with low overhead . So it makes zero sense to borrow bread , when you can easily flip your money starting small from like a 1k investment.

Most people who run to VC's ,them shark tanks or bank loans are people who are in a rush to be rich , so they think by borrowing 100k or more they can get to a million quick. But the thing is they end up losing ownership of their company or going into crazy debt from borrowing from the bank .

Their is a guy in my mastermind group named Pat Flynn dude makes like 50k a month online and he did not borrow money to do it .

If your trying to start the next facebook then maybe you might need VC money but most businesses don't need that kind of funding.

Last edited:
This is basically what i said in my post

But dudes still don't want to use their brain , if you want to start a 300k company but don't have the money. You have to start small and keep flipping until you get to that level . That is how most good companies start
Point to one thing that i said was wrong besides the VC "example" lol

You have to start small and keep flipping your money ... its that simple

You don't need to borrow money until you have to scale your business. If you need 300k to start and you make $20 hour lol clearly you have to start something smaller ,Its common sense .

Most big businesses start small

1. Quoting dame dash

2. You're never your "own boss". Unless you're growing and eating your own food. Your customers are your boss. They say be here at a certain time, you have to be there

3. It's not about making a million dollars tomorrow. Snapchat gets millions of dollars of investment money. The OG guy is a 24 year old billionaire.

And literally has negative profits. You can go from zero to 100 in a matter of months if investors like your idea

4. Your 3 businesses arent capital intensive. Hell, they're probably not profiting 100k. So its easy to use your own capital to open an Amazon store.

But were talking about big boy businesses, bro. Not a local vapor shop with a booth at the flea market.

Now, of course there are some people that don't need ANY type of loan or go straight capital, but those are fee and far and small.

The local plumber took out a loan to buy his equipment and truck

The local coffee shop took out a loan to buy the shoo, or paying a lease

5. Banks are literally loaning money at HISTORIC lows. You will never find another instance where the fed has 0% interest. That's why companies are borrowing so much... Because it's essentially free money.

6. Equity (VC firms) isn't required to be paid back like debtors are. They are, but there are liability laws that protect you.

Look up the definition of an LLC...

With an llc, your own money is protected...

So if you create am llc... Nikedkid Vapes LLC...

And you get 10k from an investor... They're loaning it to NikeKid Vapes LLC... Not you.

So in the event of a company turning over... They get the 10k from the company... If they only get 3k...

Well... That's the cost of doing business...

Think about it... If all investors got all there money back, people would be gambling and juicing up ideas WAY more than they are today.

But there's the component of risk that an investor takes.

I understand what you're trying to say...

But if you have an opportunity to lever your business, most times you should take it.

There is a fine line to where you may become insolvent...

But taking your life savings to pursue a business isn't the smartest idea when a bank or investor is asking for less than 3% return

And neither is Dame dash but dudes in here preaching like it is

There is more than one way to skin a cat, bruh.

I have yet to speak in absolutes...

But this whole "use your own money to get where you need to get and if yiu don't, you're doing it wrong" rhetoric is ******ed.

I've said plenty of times that starting a business isn't for everyone. Everyone doesn't have the wherewithal to handle that.

I've also said that investors and debt can help you reach the scale of an ACTUAL business and not as just some booth at the swap meet or an amazon store.

There's actually something called "good debt"

I literally buy and sell companies all day, bruh. I'm not some punk trying to force my opinion.

I'm speaking from a real world perspective

What if someone had an idea for an app and didn't know what steps to take to get it in development? :nerd:

I would think that it would be wise of the starter has no experience in app development then he or she would have to acquire the skills of app makers. With that said is a loan or using your own money better?

But this whole "use your own money to get where you need to get and if yiu don't, you're doing it wrong" rhetoric is ******ed.

I've said plenty of times that starting a business isn't for everyone. Everyone doesn't have the wherewithal to handle that.

I've also said that investors and debt can help you reach the scale of an ACTUAL business and not as just some booth at the swap meet or an amazon store.

I literally buy and sell companies all day, bruh. I'm not some punk trying to force my opinion.

The only thing wrong that Dame said in that interview was that you don't need to start at a job , i don't agree with that. But everything else he said was on point.

Think about , Dame is not a rapper or entertainer but he made millions in his early 20's starting his own company and he is still making money independently today. Your not thinking critically because your looking at what the other sheep is saying about his taxes and all that other BS. But dude is making movies with his own money ,he lives in a Malibu beach house and he owns one of the biggest womens clothing line so clearly he can't be doing that bad.

Big businesses don't start big, they start SMALL and once they grow then they may go out and get funding to SCALE but they don't borrow money to START. Most businesses that start on loans fight just to get out of debt they don't make any real profit . Also why would you need to spend your life saving ? when you can flip the money you gain from your job and/or the profits of your SMALL businesses .

Last edited:
What if someone had an idea for an app and didn't know what steps to take to get it in development?
nerd.gif

I would think that it would be wise of the starter has no experience in app development then he or she would have to acquire the skills of app makers. With that said is a loan or using your own money better?
that is why its almost impossible to start something without knowing how to do it yourself, if you give someone else the idea they could just do it without you since without any technical abilities you're going to be useless 

you're going to have to give up equity and all off a sudden you're not the "boss" anymore

What if someone had an idea for an app and didn't know what steps to take to get it in development? :nerd:

that is why its almost impossible to start something without knowing how to do it yourself, if you give someone else the idea they could just do it without you since without any technical abilities you're going to be useless 

you're going to have to give up equity and all off a sudden you're not the "boss" anymore
Better find a buddy to be the Wozniak to your Jobs.

Hire a App developer with your own money from websites like elance or odesk. Some developers you can pay a flat rate but some you might need to give up equity. But you can go 50/50 so that would be a even partnership . Honestly you could also find a hungry developer and give them like 10% and take 80% ownership its messed up but i have seen deals like that .

Or

Learn how to create your own apps

Hire a App developer with your own money from websites like elance or odesk. Some developers you can pay a flat rate but some you might need to give up equity. But you can go 50/50 so that would be a even partnership . Honestly you could also find a hungry developer and give them like 10% and take 80% ownership its messed up but i have seen deals like that .

Or

That ain't messed up, that's being frugal :lol:

How hard is it starting up a website? Something similar to a Bleacher Report let's say?

I know nothing about doing that kind of stuff from a tech standpoint, I'm more of a content generation kinda guy.

The only thing wrong that Dame said in that interview was that you don't need to start at a job , i don't agree with that. But everything else he said was on point.

Think about , Dame is not a rapper or entertainer but he made millions in his early 20's starting his own company and he is still making money independently today. Your not thinking critically because your looking at what the other sheep is saying about his taxes and all that other BS. But dude is making movies with his own money ,he lives in a Malibu beach house and he owns one of the biggest womens clothing line so clearly he can't be doing that bad.

Big businesses don't start big, they start SMALL and once they grow then they may go out and get funding to SCALE but they don't borrow money to START. Most businesses that start on loans fight just to get out of debt they don't make any real profit . Also why would you need to spend your life saving ? when you can flip the money you gain from your job and/or the profits of your SMALL businesses .
bruh.

Last response and I'm done.

You keep calling me and everyone that disagrees with you a sheep and a follower.

1. The tax information is PUBLIC information. You act like people are making it up.
2. There have been SEVERAL artists that have sued or completely disconnected from him. And you're praising his business practices
3. He made millions of other people's talent.
4. When you say woman's clothing line, are you talking about his EX WIFES line?

But he's successful because he made a low budget film with 5k in camera and editing services??

And got his boys to play in it?

When have yiu EVER seen anyone in a DDPOPPINGTON shirt?

:rofl:

You got it bruh. You and dame got all the answers. Chatty patty dudes that don't make low budget films and have online amazon stores are supervisors and chumps...

The heart surgeon is a chump because he doesn't perform surgeries on his own using the equipment he bought.

The hedge fund manager making 7 figures is a chump because he uses investors money.

And you won because you have a 6x6 booth at the flea market that you bought using your money from being a Frito Lay truck driver.

Dame won because his former business partner is a 9 figure dude with bosses... While he peddles movies about young black men killing each other that he shot with a Galaxy S5

Y'all winning bruh. :pimp: :pimp:

Its not about who can make the most money ... its about freedom from being fired , laid off or controlled

I would rather make 5k a month online with my own business and travel anytime i want instead of working at a job that paid 10k a month . See the thing is , Jobs in some cases will pay you more then the businesses you will start in the beginning but freedom and less stress is the goal of any entrepreneur, these things can't be obtained at a job.

Also doctors can have their own practice .... so they can be their own bosses as well

We don't share the same mindset and that is cool .. everyone has their own opinion

Last edited:
I wanna start a website that covers sports, finance and basic life stuff but I don't wanna rush the idea. Still need to think of a good name.

What if someone had an idea for an app and didn't know what steps to take to get it in development?
nerd.gif

Or

That ain't messed up, that's being frugal
laugh.gif

How hard is it starting up a website? Something similar to a Bleacher Report let's say?

I know nothing about doing that kind of stuff from a tech standpoint, I'm more of a content generation kinda guy.
super easy with any website template website (see wordpress, squarespace, ect..), even building one on your own can be pretty basic since its just HTML/CSS. That's just frontend though, backend data bases are where you need to get someone that really knows what he's doing. 

its easy to create a site and post content, but its hard to create a website where you have to store backend data (for example, every account on NT) 

my buddy has clients who he "builds" sites for. all he really does is use some template

Dame did do it in real life tho, so did Q and Ben baller and Nicky diamond, the lrg guys, birdman and slim, and it goes on. The ppl on this board that did it put up their money even if they had yo cash out Jordan's for 15k or what not

Am I the only one in here that actually works at a startup?

It's the life. Hours can be long, but I love it.

Back
Top Bottom