V.2015 ITS BALLING SEASON AGAIN.....TAXES!!! Where you doing yours?

I was getting an extra 1300 back with the American OP. But it was only for your first four years....had to take the L
When u coming back out this way
nerd.gif
hmmm was thinking in March but if I dont go to DC at the end of February I will head that way. I have vacation days I need to use up.

What should I do with my refund? I'm thinking pit 20% to my credit card balance, then save the rest..trying to build my savings account, I'm not comfortable with where I am right now financially.

But at the same time, that Tito Jesus looking real nice right now

Okay got my taxes squared away.

My federal and state refunds have been accepted already within a few hours of filing (except MA)

Edit : MA was just accepted 
pimp.gif

Last edited:
Where's My Refund has been stuck at one bar for 4 days now..

Gonna see if my transcript is showing up.

Last edited:
Filed last wed night
Got BOTH my fed and state today in my account :pimp:
State was only $49 but that's a full tank of gas :lol:

glad everything worked out, hare. remember, in the coming year if money gets tight, you can adjust your withholding with your employer to realize that refund earlier if it helps out.

best wishes to you sir, and good luck to all of our nt brethren.

glad everything worked out, hare. remember, in the coming year if money gets tight, you can adjust your withholding with your employer to realize that refund earlier if it helps out.

best wishes to you sir, and good luck to all of our nt brethren.
Repped
Always with the great info
U stay out this way right????

How is it not going to fly? Ok for a crazy example...in 2013 dad hit the lotto or maybe sold property and made a lot. In 2014 he decided to chill and not work and made only 10k. The son, still living at home and all the criteria to be a dependent earned 18k but dad still supported the son (we are looking at the son as still being dependent... how the son be on his own earning 18k? )

Would this not fly? I'm just trying to see why can't this situation be okay?
Support. The child cannot have provided over half of his or her own support during the year. To calculate how much you spend on support, you can include your child's college costs, food, clothing and medical and dental expenses. If your child is on your health insurance plan, you can include a portion of your premium, says Richard Rhodes, an enrolled agent in Hinckley, Ohio.

You can also include a percentage of your ongoing household expenses when calculating the amount you spend on support. For example, if five people live in your home and one is an adult child, you can include one-fifth of your utility bills, Rhodes says.

As long as your child's income doesn't exceed the amount you spent on support, and meets the other tests, you can claim the child as a dependent, says Terry Durkin, an enrolled agent in Burlington, Mass. For example, suppose your daughter graduated from college in May, found a job in September and earned $20,000. As long as the amount you spent on her support exceeded $20,000, you can claim her as a dependent, Durkin says. However, if you claim your child as a dependent, she can't claim a personal exemption on her own tax return.

Good luck proving he spent more then 18k on his child and for support and himself

Also as i stated for the 20th time, the child would not be able to claim himself which would cause the child to owe taxes, a few thousand

okay, enough beating around the bush! here is a worksheet from publication 501 that provides a formula to work through to determine the "support" test... one of the many tests used to determine whether or not an individual can be claimed as a dependent. (also, i was just thinking that it may be worthwhile to consider some other tax implications for the 'son' in your example, such as the various education credits and personal exemption when filing their own return... look into it!)

this is the definition used by the irs; this is not a tax preparers interpretation or summary.

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p501/ar02.html#en_US_2014_publink1000220914

Worksheet 2.Worksheet for Determining Support

Funds Belonging to the Person You Supported
1. Enter the total funds belonging to the person you supported, including income received (taxable and nontaxable) and amounts borrowed during the year, plus the amount in savings and other accounts at the beginning of the year. Do not include funds provided by the state; include those amounts on line 23 instead 1.
2. Enter the amount on line 1 that was used for the person's support 2.
3. Enter the amount on line 1 that was used for other purposes 3.
4. Enter the total amount in the person's savings and other accounts at the end of the year 4.
5. Add lines 2 through 4. (This amount should equal line 1.) 5.
Expenses for Entire Household (where the person you supported lived)
6. Lodging (complete line 6a or 6b):
a. Enter the total rent paid 6a.
b. Enter the fair rental value of the home. If the person you supported owned the home,
also include this amount in line 21 6b.
7. Enter the total food expenses 7.
8. Enter the total amount of utilities (heat, light, water, etc. not included in line 6a or 6b) 8.
9. Enter the total amount of repairs (not included in line 6a or 6b) 9.
10. Enter the total of other expenses. Do not include expenses of maintaining the home, such as mortgage interest, real estate taxes, and insurance 10.
11. Add lines 6a through 10. These are the total household expenses 11.
12. Enter total number of persons who lived in the household 12.
Expenses for the Person You Supported
13. Divide line 11 by line 12. This is the person's share of the household expenses 13.
14. Enter the person's total clothing expenses 14.
15. Enter the person's total education expenses 15.
16. Enter the person's total medical and dental expenses not paid for or reimbursed by insurance 16.
17. Enter the person's total travel and recreation expenses 17.
18. Enter the total of the person's other expenses 18.
19. Add lines 13 through 18. This is the total cost of the person's support for the year 19.
Did the Person Provide More Than Half of His or Her Own Support?
20. Multiply line 19 by 50% (.50) 20.
21. Enter the amount from line 2, plus the amount from line 6b if the person you supported owned
the home. This is the amount the person provided for his or her own support 21.
22. Is line 21 more than line 20?

checkbox
No. You meet the support test for this person to be your qualifying child. If this person also meets the other tests to be a qualifying child, stop here; do not complete lines 23–26. Otherwise, go to line 23 and fill out the rest of the worksheet to determine if this person is your qualifying relative.

checkbox
Yes. You do not meet the support test for this person to be either your qualifying child or your qualifying relative. Stop here.
Did You Provide More Than Half?
23. Enter the amount others provided for the person's support. Include amounts provided by state, local, and other welfare societies or agencies. Do not include any amounts included on line 1 23.
24. Add lines 21 and 23 24.
25. Subtract line 24 from line 19. This is the amount you provided for the person's support 25.
26. Is line 25 more than line 20?

checkbox
Yes. You meet the support test for this person to be your qualifying relative.

checkbox
No. You do not meet the support test for this person to be your qualifying relative. You cannot claim an exemption for this person unless you can do so under a multiple support agreement, the support test for children of divorced or separated parents, or the special rule for kidnapped children. See Multiple Support Agreement , Support Test for Children of Divorced or Separated Parents (or Parents Who Live Apart) , or Kidnapped child under Qualifying Relative.

yeah, i think we're nor*cal neighbors...

just a reminder to all other california peeps; although turbo tax and others may charge you to submit your STATE level tax forms, you can always let them do your federal forms for free, and then head over to ftb.ca.gov to use calfile to file your CA state tax returns for free. *some restrictions apply.

i've used this over the past few years, and although it's a bit more work (you basically have to re-enter all of your information again) it is FREE!

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/online/calFile/about.shtml?WT.mc_id=HP_Banner_CalFile&WT.svl=HCF1

I didn't read through the whole thread. Between work and a whole bunch of other things in between.

But can I change my exemptions to more than one without them looking for proof? Like if I wanna switch to 3 do I need to prove that?

read through the whole thread! you'll find answers to questions you didn't even know you had!

when you ask about changing exemptions, do you mean at work on your w-4, or do you mean changing the amount of exemptions that you claim on your tax return forms?

Is it safe for me to claim 2 on my w4 or will i end up owing? Im not married, no kids, home ownee

Last edited:
Is it safe for me to claim 2 on my w4 or will i end up owing? Im not married, no kids, home ownee

you'll need to do a lot of your own math to find out. here's a simple way i can describe it, but it assumes a lot.

IF you expect your income/expenses/all financial things to remain the same each year...

take the amount of your refund and divide it by the total number of paychecks per year...

($1,300 divided by 26 paychecks [1 each 2 weeks]) 1300 /26 = $50
so if you change your exemptions with your employer and your paycheck increases by $50 or less, than you probably won't owe the following year. sometimes it can feel like trial and error, or experimenting before you get it right.. but it helps you learn about how taxes and withholdings work.

you'll need to do a lot of your own math to find out. here's a simple way i can describe it, but it assumes a lot.

IF you expect your income/expenses/all financial things to remain the same each year...

take the amount of your refund and divide it by the total number of paychecks per year...

($1,300 divided by 26 paychecks [1 each 2 weeks]) 1300 /26 = $50
so if you change your exemptions with your employer and your paycheck increases by $50 or less, than you probably won't owe the following year. sometimes it can feel like trial and error, or experimenting before you get it right.. but it helps you learn about how taxes and withholdings work.

Makes sense, good looking out

and for anybody else who is interested, here's a guide for adjusting your exemptions with your EMPLOYER:

WITH YOUR EMPLOYER:
claim more exemptions = bigger paycheck now, less taxes withheld, smaller refund or owe more next year
claim less exemptions = smaller paycheck now, more taxes withheld, bigger refund or owe less next year

you also have the ability to direct your employer to withhold a specific amount more than they are currently holding... can't tell them to withhold a specific amount less, but you can claim more exemptions and then ask them to withhold more (two steps forward, one step back sort of...)

remember, your employer does not know what the "correct" number of exemptions will be for you when you go to file your tax return forms the following year... your employer will do what you tell them to do. they do not care or notice, it is merely a table/formula for them to consult before cutting your check. (if you attempt to claim exempt (or 99 exemptions) your employer may be obligated to report that information to the IRS who may ask you to substantiate why you are tax exempt or prove that you have 99 exemptions to claim.)

Back
Top Bottom