Venezuela's Resort Prison

So where is the punishment for their actions?...this **** makes no cents at all.

So where is the punishment for their actions?...this **** makes no cents at all.

Rehabilitation, not institutionalization, actually treating prisoners like human beings instead of captive animals.

The system we have in place in America creates career criminals, fosters recidivism.

The fact is, data has proven time and again that nations that focus on rehabilitation and crime prevention proves to be a far more effective with determent than pigeonholing individuals as criminals and sending non-violent offenders to extremely dire conditions for a number of years.

As the video showed, most in the prison are there for narcotic offenses, trafficking mostly....Likewise most of the American inmate population is incarcerated for non-violent narcotic based offenses.

Focus on rehabilitation, education & post incarceration therapy is what we as a nation should practice more of. We can actually learn a lot from models like this.

The prison industrial system thrives on successful conviction of non-violent criminals, without them police forces would suffer massive budget cuts, entire prisons would close, court houses would see far less traffic, an entire branch of the American economy would be severed.

Therefore we slap excessively harsh sentences on criminals and give them little hope of rehabilitation. We cut them off from their family and limit visitation and contact. We basically destroy their mental and spiritual wellbeing so by the time they're released they're so alienated from the rest of society, even their family, that prison is the only thing that makes sense to them.

Steezy, this makes entirely too much sense, in fact it's scary to me that at this point, Americans, like you, believe what we're doing to people in this nation resembles anything remotely humane or makes any sense whatsoever.

Last edited:
I like my criminals to be treated like animals tho this makes no sense

why does it make "no sense" when data has shown that environments that promote and foster rehabilitation in inmates are far more effective than our system?

also why do you like to see "your" criminals to be treated like animals?

why do you wish to dehumanize these people?

Last edited:
Wanted to also add another point, piggybacking off my initial post.

Do you notice the contrast between the prisoners in this video & the prison population in America?

These guys look like normal every day people, they're not tense, they're not constantly on guard with their head on a swivel, they're not acting like they're Roman gladiators trying to just survive for another day.

Whereas our prison population, it's a life & death situation.

It's a regimented environment in our nation. You're told when to awake, what to eat, where to go, when to shower, when to see loved ones (and whether or not you're allowed to come in physical contact), & when to sleep.

So an individual who becomes accustomed to such a regiment, with no therapy, no rehabilitation, is going to fair poorly in society. For one it's extremely difficult to find work and secondly they've likely been alienated from what support system they had prior to prison. Spouses move on, kids are embittered and estranged, loved ones have all but forgotten about you.

Physiologically & psychologically you'll have also completely changed. You can't just flip a switch and feel comfortable in your own skin again. You can't just suddenly switch those stressors that were present in prison off because they're ingrained in you.

Thus you'll have become institutionalized. You can't be free from such a state without rigorous rehabilitation & therapy.

I have yet to see an instance where a therapeutic environment that fosters rehabilitation isn't more effective in truly changing the ways of criminals than the American prison system.

Last edited:
I know where I'm going on my next vacation
pimp.gif

why does it make "no sense" when data has shown that environments that promote and foster rehabilitation in inmates are far more effective than our system?

also why do you like to see "your" criminals to be treated like animals?

why do you wish to dehumanize these people?

imo,

some criminals deserve to be treated like animals.

that "some" being those who committed serious crime like murder, rape, etc.

Do you notice the contrast between the prisoners in this video & the prison population in America?

These guys look like normal every day people, they're not tense, they're not constantly on guard with their head on a swivel, they're not acting like they're Roman gladiators trying to just survive for another day.

It's a regimented environment in our nation. You're told when to awake, what to eat, where to go, when to shower, when to see loved ones (and whether or not you're allowed to come in physical contact), & when to sleep.

So an individual who becomes accustomed to such a regiment, with no therapy, no rehabilitation, is going to fair poorly in society. For one it's extremely difficult to find work and secondly they've likely been alienated from what support system they had prior to prison. Spouses move on, kids are embittered and estranged, loved ones have all but forgotten about you.

Physiologically & psychologically you'll have also completely changed. You can't just flip a switch and feel comfortable in your own skin again. You can't just suddenly switch those stressors that were present in prison off because they're ingrained in you.

Thus you'll have become institutionalized. You can't be free from such a state without rigorous rehabilitation & therapy.

I have yet to see an instance where a therapeutic environment that fosters rehabilitation isn't more effective in truly changing the ways of criminals than the American prison system.

Wouldn't mind seeing a study on how this works out for them.

imo,

some criminals deserve to be treated like animals.

that "some" being those who committed serious crime like murder, rape, etc.

IDK....

should those individuals be denied rehabilitation?

Rape is one thing, it's difficult for even me to empathize with that crowd. I find it absolutely impossible for me to empathize for rapists, especially those who target young children.

But murderers, I mean when I think of all the ways one can be deemed a murderer it's hard for me to believe that they should be denied rehabilitation and an opportunity to reintegrate with society at some point.

Should a 16 year old, or even a 18 year old serve a life sentence for murder? And if so, should they be denied rehabilitation and an extremely poor quality of life for the rest of their life?

|I ....

These are not easy questions to answer. I believe that young violent offenders, individuals whose brains have not fully developed, should be handled differently than older offenders.

I'm not saying murder is something you can ever forgive. But should an individual's life be deemed worthless for committing such a heinous crime at a very young age?

Are we as human beings incapable of growing, learning, changing? Can these individuals not serve as an example, a mentor, a teacher to at-risk youth who are traveling down the very path that they once did?

I encourage folks to watch the documentary titled "Lost for Life' by Joshua Rofe. In it, a former gang member, convicted of murder, is given a second chance at life. There are also other juvenile murderers in the documentary who aren't afforded the opportunity. I won't spoil anything but, I honestly believe Sean, the gang member, truly is rehabilitated.

Last edited:
Yall dudes acting like these countries have better crime rates than america because of this :lol:

I believe the only thing that can't be rehabilitated is rapist, child molesters and people who torture animals etc.

They should just be offed as far as I'm concerned but everyone else I think should get a second chance. Murderers too.

Before anyone says I like animals more that people, anyone who tortures animals is a complete psycho path. Murder is different, a lot of that just boils down to being young and dumb. I'm also not saying all murderers deserve a second chance. Some do.

Last edited:
You're NOT going to commit a triple homicide and then rape the officers that arrested you, only to be sent to a resort for life.

**** that

You're NOT going to commit a triple homicide and then rape the officers that arrested you, only to be sent to a resort for life.

**** that

Brb committing violent crimes
Brb going to a resort jail
Brb getting out
Brb committing more crimes
Brb brb

Last edited:
A fool doesn't need rehab from making a conscious decision to sell drugs, show me the data that shows these fools turning their life for good post imprisonment...I doubt it and truth is America still a helluva a lot safer than Venezuela....this ***** right here makes no sense, they spending money on grown men who led a life of crime as opposed to spending it on infrastructure, homeless children, healthcare, etc...

I'm not saying America's prison system is any better, well more so the law and its technicalities leaves too much room for error, staining dudes records over a drunken fight (my boy is doing 6 months for getting busted in a bar fight drunk and failing to comply to the terms of his release) he's an idiot, but 6 months in a prison with killers and rapists over that makes no sense...not only that, he's now a fellon because of it....but then you have fools who legit deserve that and worst.

Well said.  I was just released from prison on the 7th of this January.  I did 3 years total in Chino State Prison (CIM).  Let me be the first to say you are accurate as to the mind state of most of the guys in there.  From my experience though, CA did offer MANY mental health options, and rehabilitation courses (such as vocations and schooling) for prisoners to explore.  I didnt participate because I feel I had my head on strait and knew what I needed to do upon release.  Most of the guys in there are still addicts chasing the drugs and getting stabbed over dope debts.  They DO NOT want to do right, prison is very hard for some people (myself included), but it's very easy at the same time, there are NO RESPONSIBILITIES.  Thats why you have so many repeat offenders.  And yes I had difficulty adjusting after only doing 3 years, I can only imagine for people doing a longer stretch.  

My main point though is that if some one wants to do right upon release, they will do it.  No matter how much "help" they get while incarcerated is going to change their mind state to want to stay out for good. I just came to the conclusion I could never hurt the people I love again by being away, so I got out, got back in the Union doing the trade I enjoy doing, making great money.

As far as the video goes, I dont know what to think, if they have the "statistics" to say that their way is working, then stick with it.  I only wish I had it that good during my stay.

Last edited:
A fool doesn't need rehab from making a conscious decision to sell drugs, show me the data that shows these fools turning their life for good post imprisonment...I doubt it and truth is America still a helluva a lot safer than Venezuela....this ***** right here makes no sense, they spending money on grown men who led a life of crime as opposed to spending it on infrastructure, homeless children, healthcare, etc...

I'm not saying America's prison system is any better, well more so the law and its technicalities leaves too much room for error, staining dudes records over a drunken fight (my boy is doing 6 months for getting busted in a bar fight drunk and failing to comply to the terms of his release) he's an idiot, but 6 months in a prison with killers and rapists over that makes no sense...not only that, he's now a fellon because of it....but then you have fools who legit deserve that and worst.

By your logic, a fool doesn't need rehab from making a conscious decision to use drugs either. These phenomenons are not mutually exclusive, for a litany of reasons, especially in this country. However that is somewhat of a different discussion....

I'm not saying we should outright adopt their model of imprisonment, there's no doubt that a lot of the things they allow prisoners to do (drink, smoke, etc) is just outright ludicrous.

I'm saying that allowing contact with their family, allowing them to have that support system beyond minimal contact face to face meetings gives inmates something to strive for. It also allows them to maintain a bond with their loves ones.

I'm also not saying Venezuela is safer than America, IDK where you're getting that from by reading my posts, but there's no denying that Venezuela has one of the highest murder rates in all the world, only behind Honduras if my memory serves me correctly right now.

I am however saying that there are elements of this system, such as profound familial contact, that have its merits.

Last edited:
Well said.  I was just released from prison on the 7th of this January.  I did 3 years total in Chino State Prison (CIM).  Let me be the first to say you are accurate as to the mind state of most of the guys in there.  From my experience though, CA did offer MANY mental health options, and rehabilitation courses (such as vocations and schooling) for prisoners to explore.  I didnt participate because I feel I had my head on strait and knew what I needed to do upon release.  Most of the guys in there are still addicts chasing the drugs and getting stabbed over dope debts.  They DO NOT want to do right, prison is very hard for some people (myself included), but it's very easy at the same time, there are NO RESPONSIBILITIES.  Thats why you have so many repeat offenders.  And yes I had difficulty adjusting after only doing 3 years, I can only imagine for people doing a longer stretch.  

My main point though is that if some one wants to do right upon release, they will do it.  No matter how much "help" they get while incarcerated is going to change their mind state to want to stay out for good. I just came to the conclusion I could never hurt the people I love again by being away, so I got out, got back in the Union doing the trade I enjoy doing, making great money.

As far as the video goes, I dont know what to think, if they have the "statistics" to say that their way is working, then stick with it.  I only wish I had it that good during my stay.

I'm not going to ask what you did to get incarcerated, that's none of my business, but I will say that just looking at the sheer number of non-violent offenders being locked up for a number of years in this nation, the punishment does not match the crime.

I for the life of me cannot wrap my mind around doing a stretch of years behind bars for selling or using a controlled substance. You're absolutely right in saying that people are gong to go right ahead and do whatever it is they want to do. However our current system isn't exactly fostering change. Recidivism in America is higher than our European counterparts.

So do these laws we have in place really "deter" anyone from using or selling a drug?

How about theft, burglary & violent crime, when a young man commits one of these crimes and is branded for life as a felon, does he have much hope to relate to anyone else but criminals?

....I'll leave it at that for now, I'll return later to expand on these questions and my point....For now just food for thought, but before I take my leave I want to say....

I commend you for taking the steps necessary to turn your life around, I don't know you but I value you as a fellow human being and that alone is enough for me to hope you make the best of your freedom.

Back
Top Bottom