• U.S. Cellular

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Straight Talk

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
For everyone that's on Kit Kat, do I have to root it to transfer files to the external SD? Why the hell did they even put an external SD if I can't write to it? :rolleyes

No. Just depends on how you write data to it.

Make sure USB debugging is enabled in Developer Options and be sure that you're using an OEM USB cable, those cheap Chinese knockoffs don't always work for data transfer.

If you don't know what Developer Options are, go into Settings > About Phone then rapidly tap on "build number". It'll give you a message when its unlocked, then you just go back to the main menu and go into Developer Options, which should be right above " About Phone"

Running stock rooted 4.4.2 on an N4. kinda interested in Cyano and Paranoid though (dem pie controls) so if one of those would be a better move Ima just rock with that.
Go Paranoid. Cyanogen is cool and all, but 99.9% of the people who use it don't need everything that's baked in. Those unutilized features result in more instability and poor battery life.

For everyone that's on Kit Kat, do I have to root it to transfer files to the external SD? Why the hell did they even put an external SD if I can't write to it? :rolleyes

No. Just depends on how you write data to it.

Make sure USB debugging is enabled in Developer Options and be sure that you're using an OEM USB cable, those cheap Chinese knockoffs don't always work for data transfer.

If you don't know what Developer Options are, go into Settings > About Phone then rapidly tap on "build number". It'll give you a message when its unlocked, then you just go back to the main menu and go into Developer Options, which should be right above " About Phone"

What I meant was that, I'm unable to transfer data from my internal SD to the external SD card.

What I meant was that, I'm unable to transfer data from my internal SD to the external SD card.

What app are you trying to use for that? I use ES File Explorer and when I had a device with expandable storage, I'd use it to switch between external/internal all the time.

Are you using a custom ROM? Has the external SD card ever worked to store data?

What app are you trying to use for that? I use ES File Explorer and when I had a device with expandable storage, I'd use it to switch between external/internal all the time.

Are you using a custom ROM? Has the external SD card ever worked to store data?
Thanks for the reply. I'm stock, but I tried using Astro manager and it won't allow me. Then I read all these articles about how Google blocked it when Kit Kat rolled out. Didn't want to root my phone,but looks like the only way around it ill try ES and see if that works.

Damn it's real

Yeah tried moving it too and have the same result. Yeah I have the M8, WTH is the purpose of this though. Surprised I haven't seen anyone else mention this.

Looks like I was wrong. My bad. Google limited internal/external R/W for security. http://m.androidcentral.com/kitkat-sdcard-changes

Looks like you can either:

1. Copy the file to your computer, then copy it back to the right SD card

Or

2. Flash a custom ROM.

That sucks tho.

Yeah tried moving it too and have the same result. Yeah I have the M8, WTH is the purpose of this though. Surprised I haven't seen anyone else mention this.

Looks like I was wrong. My bad. Google limited internal/external R/W for security. http://m.androidcentral.com/kitkat-sdcard-changes

Or

2. Flash a custom ROM.

That sucks tho.

Yeah negates the purpose of the External SD card. Didn't want to have to root, but these fools have to make things so difficult.

Liquid smoove on the g2 is the most stable aosp ROM I've had the the chance to use battery should be great but I'll hold off on that till it sits for a few cycles

Liquid smoove on the g2 is the most stable aosp ROM I've had the the chance to use battery should be great but I'll hold off on that till it sits for a few cycles
I like LS ... Problem that I have is the KitKat format PA has. Just waking up Google by taking to it. If not I would of have bailed.

Just broke my phone not even 10 minutes ago.

My S3 was sturdy while it lasted. :lol:

Looking to buy a phone tonight or tomorrow.
Tmobile but not down for the pay each month jump program.

thinking of pulling the trigger on a Nexus 5 tonight. 299 aint bad at all. :nerd:

Or

2. Flash a custom ROM.

That sucks tho.

Yea but your rooted so you should be able to do it. I have kit Kat and can do I.

Try moving another file. Download root checker to make sure your rooted

Last edited:

I like LS ... Problem that I have is the KitKat format PA has. Just waking up Google by taking to it. If not I would of have bailed.
im on the mahdi sound beta and its running smooth on the official KK baseband

It is not.. I considered buying another one. But the oneplus is so close

how close? oneplus looks nice

not in a day or two close is it?
cuz i need a phone asap :lol:

and the most affordable reliable option without doing the monthly payments is nexus 5?

laugh.gif
 nah not that soon.

N5 is still a good pick up these days.. especially if you need one asap.

Back
Top Bottom