Washington State teen beaten, robbed in shoe sale gone wrong

Originally Posted by blakep267

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Im just assuming hes not filing 1099 forms. He is a teen, right? I could be wrong
laugh.gif
 youre probably right.  but to say that what he is doing is not a legit form of work/income because of the tax liability is a weak argument at best.

i mean, what a bout a kid who goes door to door shoveling snow out of neighbors driveways and gets paid in cash.  is anyone going to say that this kid isnt earning an honest buck because he isnt filing a tax return on that income?

youre comparing a small service, to somebody who is selling inventory, massive inventory. He said he had 70 pairs of shoes that he planned to sell. Thats a small shoe store. If he charges 200-300 per pair, thats 14k to 21k, untaxed. Sure its a good investment, spend 7k get double to triple in return, but you also gotta pay taxes, and seeing as how he's a little goofy ( goes to meet in a lot, also brags about business on tv), I doubt he is

Where did it say he had planned to sell the 70 pairs?

Originally Posted by Osek206

laugh.gif
 youre probably right.  but to say that what he is doing is not a legit form of work/income because of the tax liability is a weak argument at best.

i mean, what a bout a kid who goes door to door shoveling snow out of neighbors driveways and gets paid in cash.  is anyone going to say that this kid isnt earning an honest buck because he isnt filing a tax return on that income?

youre comparing a small service, to somebody who is selling inventory, massive inventory. He said he had 70 pairs of shoes that he planned to sell. Thats a small shoe store. If he charges 200-300 per pair, thats 14k to 21k, untaxed. Sure its a good investment, spend 7k get double to triple in return, but you also gotta pay taxes, and seeing as how he's a little goofy ( goes to meet in a lot, also brags about business on tv), I doubt he is

Where did it say he had planned to sell the 70 pairs?

ok, I assumed he was going to sell them. He could also be a collector, but since he said he sells them as a job, idk “R.J.

Originally Posted by HOVKid

im still trying to figure out if you are just being sarcastic with your post.

arent you a highly paid corporate attorney?  i would think that someone who makes a very good living in the corporate world would appreciate this kids capitalistic go-getem attitude.

Beleive it or not I'm not being sarcastic at all.

You have any idea how many times I've walked into a store at 10am on a Saturday only to be told sorry, all sold out.  Like not even ONE pair left in any size and I walk in when the store is scheduled to OPEN.

I'm 37 years old and have been buying "to many" pairs of sneaker for about 15 years now.  I have NEVER seen anything like this.  Bro, I couldn't even get a pair of playoff XII's.  When they released about 5 years ago yeah, you had to show up the day they came out, but you got your pair so you could wear and enjoy.  Now, on a freaking general release shoe you can't even walk in and buy them when the store opens.  Same goes for cement 4's, spacejams, coolgreys, concords, etc.

Its disgusting where this is nowadays.  

but is wishing ill will and violence upon others really the best solution?  i mean yea, its not an ideal situation, but atleast you are in a position where you can afford to pay the premium for the convenience of not having to sleep on a sidewalk for days on end for a pair of sneakers.  

No knock but I hate this mentality, it's the principle.  Paying a "premium" to not sleep on a sidewalk for days?  Why and when did it come to that?
The past 10 years have been a roller coaster in terms of popularity, and right now it's at it's peak.  Silver lining:  I'm about to unload a bunch of older shoes (lack of space, unfortunately) so I plan on capitalizing on these youngins.

JB/Nike is already price gouging with their marked up prices, on top of that you have to pay a "premium" to a dude with zero to no life who waited in line for three days just because you are busy taking care of priorities.

Nike is fueling this, shoe stores are fueling this, why are people allowed to camp?  They shouldn't.  What happened to walking in the store the day of release and scooping your pair.

Most retro + are garbage anyway, and quality sucks.  The AJKOs would've been awesome to have, but they were not worth the effort.  $125 for 1's 
laugh.gif
, servers crashing 
laugh.gif
, another NDC release flop 
laugh.gif
, resellers pushing these for $200 
laugh.gif

From 2003 until 2012, NDC was my "go to" route, flawless... now it's all +%$!!% up. 
laugh.gif

Do I wish ill on those that resell new releases, nah, it takes two to tango and there is always a sucker willing to pay.  Do I feel bad that this dude got got, hell nah.  
laugh.gif

All I'm saying is the fact that I can't walk into a store when it opens ON THE RELEASE DATE and find even one size, let alone my own, available is ludicrous. Like dude said, I used to at least be able to go on NDC and get something. Now in the last year or so you can't even do that.

I got a real job, a wife and two kids. I dont have time to make "connects" to ensure I get a freaking pair of sneakers that is a freaking GENERAL RELEASE. I got enough in my life to care about. I don't have time to care about some idiot who sleeps on the street for 24-48 hours so he can charge me another $100-$200 for the sneakers I want.

In the words of Ivan Drago: "If he dies, he dies".

Originally Posted by Nowitzness41

^ that depends where you live doesnt it? He already paid taxes as the end user, and since its for resale- he may not have to

garage sales are the only exceptions to that rule, and you have to check with your district and even then they only allow garage sales like one time for a week throughout the year

@hovkid if one of your kids later in life follows your steps into the "Sneakerworld" and he/she had the chance to make a few bucks "hustling" sneakers what would your reaction be?

i think blakep267 is correct.  sales tax is different from any income tax he might have to pay.  while he may get credit for the taxes he already paid when he purchased from a retailer, he may still be liable for tax on the income he made from reselling.

then again, are any of you guys this kid's accountant?  how do you know hes not paying taxes?

@slickp42819 - collecting taxes and being liable for taxes are not one in the same. he is under no obligation to collect taxes on the sale of the shoes. he may have an obligation to pay taxes associated with the sale of the shoes though. if he chooses not to collect (which he can choose to do), it just means he will have to pay his taxes out of his pocket. just cause he didnt collect taxes doesnt mean it wasnt a legitimate transaction.

Im just assuming hes not filing 1099 forms. He is a teen, right? I could be wrong
laugh.gif

where im from, if you dont make a certain amount off of odd jobs its considered a gift and you dont have to pay taxes
@mojodmonkey1, i meant pay taxes not collect, my bad

Originally Posted by HOVKid

All I'm saying is the fact that I can't walk into a store when it opens ON THE RELEASE DATE and find even one size, let alone my own, available is ludicrous. Like dude said, I used to at least be able to go on NDC and get something. Now in the last year or so you can't even do that.

I got a real job, a wife and two kids. I dont have time to make "connects" to ensure I get a freaking pair of sneakers that is a freaking GENERAL RELEASE. I got enough in my life to care about. I don't have time to care about some idiot who sleeps on the street for 24-48 hours so he can charge me another $100-$200 for the sneakers I want.

LMAO, in the words of the late and great Rick James "Cold, Blooddeeed"

HOVKid wrote:

OK... so now you are saying homicide is justifiable in this situation... just because you cant get your size at retail on release day anymore ? 

BTW... Ivan Drago is a FICTIONAL CHARACTER... FICTIONAL...and the villain at that.   Learn to separate reality from the movies.

Pulling out cheap one liners from 80s flicks when talking about the value of human life ??? Really ???  

Originally Posted by ThaT Dude173

@hovkid if one of your kids later in life follows your steps into the "Sneakerworld" and he/she had the chance to make a few bucks "hustling" sneakers what would your reaction be?

Honestly bro, with how hard I've worked to build something for my family, if my kid needs $100, I hope they'll just come to me. I also hope to teach my kids better than to "hustle"And I don't think a homicide is justifiable because I didn't get a pair of sneakers I wanted. I just don't care if it happens, just like the reseller does not care about me.

Wait...so people are actually glad someone was harmed over some shoes? And all because you're salty about their grind and re-sale prices? Most likely because you were the dummy who bought shoes at re-sale price in the past?

Threads like this really show the morality & maturity of the users of this forum...disgusting...
30t6p3b.gif

It's not that I'm happy the kid got hurt, I'm just not sad about it. Like I said before.. If selling shoes is your hustle, it's still a hustle. If you're dumb about it, you will get caught slippin eventually. Charge it to the game and smarten up

Time for most of you to grow up and probably get a new hobby. Some of these responses are ridiculously pitiful and the fact that you guys try and justify it, is a damn shame.

Kids get beat up everyday b 
grin.gif

EDIT: Son you dudes are really writing paragraphs and #$$* about this? It's that serious? Dudes get beat up for using the wrong tone, must be a bunch of resellers who can't fight on here. If this that serious of a topic y'all need some real jobs

^ Kinda hard to fight when another party blind sides you.

This thread is truly outrageous lol. You have an accomplished adult (according to his posts on this forum) arguing that a life should be taken over him
not being able to purchase shoes (yes, SHOES) at retail and when he prefers.

If you make so damn much money and don't have the time then buy the shoes over retail.

It's literally only shoes. Calm down.

Originally Posted by UptownsDotNetStacky

That's one of the risks of that "hustle"....it is what it is

Yup, he did the whole Craigslist transaction wrong. You NEVER go alone. You always meet in a location where there's a lot of eye witnesses, in broad daylight. Community College isn't sufficent, he should of picked a mall. And if anything feels wrong, there's nothing wrong with backing out. I don't have sympathy, this crap happens on the time. He should be glad it was just a couple of sneakers. People get their cars stolen via craigslist these days.

the responses on here are proving what is wrong with the world these days. Big deal that he is a reseller, there is lots of other things worse he could be doing for money. Over 50% of people on niketalk need to grow up. 

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

The past 10 years have been a roller coaster in terms of popularity, and right now it's at it's peak.  Silver lining:  I'm about to unload a bunch of older shoes (lack of space, unfortunately) so I plan on capitalizing on these youngins.
Good luck my man! These new jack low-ballers want 8-10 year old OG or retro shoes in DS or VNDS condition for much lower than what the garbage re-re-retros retail for. You can sing praises about the build quality and comfort but they won't care as there was no hype for them.

Originally Posted by vood99

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Good luck my man! These new jack low-ballers want 8-10 year old OG or retro shoes in DS or VNDS condition for much lower than what the garbage re-re-retros retail for. You can sing praises about the build quality and comfort but they won't care as there was no hype for them.

lol so true..... dude thinks the shoe game is at it's peak... the market is saturated with releases... dude's about 4 years late

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

All of you guys are so sorry. 
roll.gif

The resellers, the whinny collectors, little man using his parents debit card to cop, you all sorry as %!%@.

All that really needs to be said.

laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom