Washington Wizards 2015-2016 Season Thread - Let the firings begin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hate to see Temple go but intrigued by the Burke acquisition. Aside for Burke I have no idea who these other guys are... Nicholson? Jason Smith?

The silver-lining in KD not speaking to the Wizards and then going to GS, is that there is no such thing as loyalty in the NBA. If this isn't a wake-up call to EG and the rest of the FO staff about trying to maximize the next 3 seasons before Wall hits FA, then I dunno what to tell ya. Just because we can offer Wall the most $ is irrelevant. These dudes are rich beyond belief, and if the KD signing shows anything, it's that guys in the primes of their careers want rings.
Also, should tell Ted to get rid of Ernie. Curry, Thompson, and Green all could have been Wizards and that may have attracted KD here, but Ernie can't draft. I can't even be mad at KD over looking us.

The silver-lining in KD not speaking to the Wizards and then going to GS, is that there is no such thing as loyalty in the NBA. If this isn't a wake-up call to EG and the rest of the FO staff about trying to maximize the next 3 seasons before Wall hits FA, then I dunno what to tell ya. Just because we can offer Wall the most $ is irrelevant. These dudes are rich beyond belief, and if the KD signing shows anything, it's that guys in the primes of their careers want rings.

Also, should tell Ted to get rid of Ernie. Curry, Thompson, and Green all could have been Wizards and that may have attracted KD here, but Ernie can't draft. I can't even be mad at KD over looking us.

Thompson would be buried behind Garrett Temple on the depth chart and Kawhi would probably lose out on minutes to some other vet. Who knows how Curry would have developed.

I'm 1/2 joking...but I think there's something to be said about our lack of player development aside from John Wall.

Was hoping for Jamal Crawford but that ain't happening looks like this is our core now

Wall/ Trey Burke
Beal / Tomas Satoronsky?
Porter/Oubre Jr
Markief Morris/ Ian Mahinmi / Andrew Nicholson
Gortat/ Jason Thompson

Was hoping for Jamal Crawford but that ain't happening looks like this is our core now

Wall/ Trey Burke

Beal / Tomas Satoronsky?

Porter/Oubre Jr

Markief Morris/ Ian Mahinmi / Andrew Nicholson

Gortat/ Jason Thompson

Might sound crazy, but they should make a run at Lance Stephenson. He could get some minutes at the 2/3. Wizards are VERY thin at the wing.

Also, Mahinmi is the backup 5...and Smith (not Thompson, but I know what you meant) is the back up to the back up :lol:

VERY puzzling signing. I really don't get why we went after him...unless they're trying to move Gortat.

I'm lowkey proud of Temple. Like a proud parent watching their kid make it in life.
Wasn't dude a D-Leaguer for a while there and bounced back and forth from the first team to the D-league. Then got his spot. Now he is caking (by your average human standards) and he got out of the sinking ship that is the Washington Wizards.

Nene is officially gone

giphy.gif

Dallas isn't quite the destination they'd like to believe, but when they struck out this summer they didn't make panic moves.

You have to believe that Golden State would have preferred to deal Bogut out of conference, and it's not like they got anything back in return.  They needed a willing partner to act fast and absorb Bogut into cap space.

If the Wizards wanted an immobile rim protector, they could've waited and signed Bogut for substantially less than they're now committing to Mahinimi.  They also would've had a shot at Barnes if they really wanted him.

Instead, Dallas won the Golden State rummage sale and the Wizards continue to do Wizards things. 

While I won't be too heartbroken to see guys like Dudley, Sessions, and Nene leave town, I will miss Garrett Temple.  He'll never be a star, and he sometimes gets a little carried away trying to force things on the break, but he's the type of player every team wants on their bench.  

Obviously this summer is not going the way any of us had hoped, but I'll admit that it's not all bad news. 

I'm not mad at the Trey Burke deal.  It cost nothing, but the upside isn't as amazing as it's made out to be.  If it works out brilliantly, he'll be an RFA next season and we'll lose him.  Utah knew they wouldn't re-sign him and didn't have minutes for him this year.  Had they played him, they could've brought more back in a potential sign and trade, but it's not worth it.  When you have a bunch of guys playing for themselves and their future contracts, you get what Washington got this year.  Utah eliminated that problem before it could poison their locker room.  Good for them. 

We'll have to see on Nicholson.  We certainly needed to get younger, in part to make up for all the picks we lost thanks to Ernie's amazing job saving trades for band-aid players we no longer want.  

This team's success now depends on one of the young guys making a big step next season.  Thank goodness the Wizards kept their brilliant player development coach.  
eyes.gif

Liked him with the Nuggets and was glad when we first got him. And I think he deserves some credit with instilling a winning mentality in the team. But that missed rebound against ATL that cost us Game 5 left a real bad taste in my mouth... Never looked at him the same after that.

Last edited:
Thoughts on Nene leaving? 

It was about time.

Outside of Wall, he was our most skilled player. Dude's B-Ball IQ is through the roof.

That being said, he wasn't a hard worker and a lot of dudes on the roster were tired of him.

I'll only remember him for the rebound he didn't grab vs. the Hawks in the playoffs 2 years ago.

Good riddance.

I feel like superstars who can maximize their money making off court just want rings. But idk where Wall falls for that. Like didnt' they say Lebron gets paid more by Nike then the NBA. Like when the NBA is your second income...then you can be more flexible...especially knowing winning rings could maximize your off court brand which in turn leads to more money. So its kinda smart for these top tier guys to just win at all cost (NBA Dollar Cost)

Wall im sure makes money off court but if the NBA salary is his prime income maybe money could be more of a driver in his deal
Pretty sure playing in Washington is costing Wall money. I think up until now just being close to home was worth something to him. How much of a factor that is going forward remains to be seen.

Still have my old Wizards connection from when I shared an elevator with Ernie Grunfield every morning. He sucks at his job, but he is actually quite humble and pleasant to work with.

“It’s tough because we’re both alphas. It’s always tough when you have two guys who firmly believe in themselves, who will bet on themselves against anybody else, who want to be that guy. We both can be that guy,” Beal said.

“Sometimes I think we both lose sight of the fact that we need each other. I wouldn’t be in the situation I’m in without John. John wouldn’t be in the situation he’s in without me, without the rest of the team. It goes hand-in-hand so it’s kind of a pride thing. We got to (hash) out our pride, fiigure out what our goals are individually, help each other achieve those goals, figure out what our team goal is, where do we see ourselves five years from now, 10 years from now and go from there.”

It’s a rough patch that coach Randy Wittman  never was able to smooth out. This is where new coach Scott Brooks  is expected to help in their development as the leaders witth the core veterans gutted from the roster, some of whom insisted that during games it can be difficult to get through to the backcourt when they’re frustrated.
Yes, because if there's anyone who's proven capable of solving the "two alphas" problem to promote ball movement over selfish play, it's Scott Brooks.

eyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom