Washington Wizards 2016-2017 Season Thread - Thanks for a great season!

How many wins will the Wizards get this season?

• Best year ever: over 60 wins

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Best finish in a generation: between 50 and 60 wins

• A winning season, barely: 43-49 wins

• A losing season: 42-30 wins

• A total disaster, under 30 wins

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Welp...  still, sadly, the most successful Washington NBA season in my entire life.  

Thanks, everyone, for making this season that much more enjoyable!

I'm just gonna say it, though, because I can't resist:  can we all agree that the Bogdanavic trade was stupid now?  He was useless when it mattered and we really could've used that draft pick to give us a potential contributor at an affordable rate, given the AWFUL salary bind our Ernie stuck us with thanks to the Mahinmi debacle.  

I don't think it can be overstated just how badly that signing hurt us.  10 minutes, four fouls, zero points, zero rebounds, makes more money than John Wall.  

Welp...  still, sadly, the most successful Washington NBA season in my entire life.  

Thanks, everyone, for making this season that much more enjoyable!

I'm just gonna say it, though, because I can't resist:  can we all agree that the Bogdanavic trade was stupid now?  He was useless when it mattered and we really could've used that draft pick to give us a potential contributor at an affordable rate, given the AWFUL salary bind our Ernie stuck us with thanks to the Mahinmi debacle.  

I don't think it can be overstated just how badly that signing hurt us.  10 minutes, four fouls, zero points, zero rebounds, makes more money than John Wall.  

Ernie been quiet for months but he definitely screwed us one last time. His moves did not work in the playoffs, Mahinmi's deal looks possibly the worst in the league. He's a stiff in a league that has moved on from big slow plodding centers. Brandon Jennings possibly is the biggest disappointment of them all, it's squarely on him the reason John couldn't get a breather this whole series. What the hell happened to the guy who wasn't afraid to shoot as a rookie?

It hurts right now, but if you look at the poll, and the first pages...

It was an incredible season.

The Wizards inability to switch correctly or fight through forced switches (along with their terrible bench) doomed them versus a spacing team like Boston. Lost count of the number of times two Wizards would follow one Celtic and leave another wide open for a three. Oh well, they probably wouldn't have beaten Cleveland anyways. It was a fun season and entertaining playoffs.

Heading into next year they have some decisions to make regarding Porter and Bogie, along with the free agents that are out there. I like the fact that Porter does it all on both ends and hustles, but signing him would basically rule out any big-name free agent from what I understand. They still remain either one big name away or a full bench upgrade from being title contenders. Unfortunately as long as Lebron remains healthy and in the East it will be difficult to even make the Finals.

Last edited:
I really wouldn't mind if Otto left, I think his skill set is replaceable if Oubre can work on his offensive game ALL SUMMER. Otto disappeared way too much for my liking in the second half of the year

The money has to go towards improving the bench in the worst way

Agree with you Meth
and thanks everyone in here for the contributions over the season.

1 i think the "wall didn't show up" criticism is way too harsh. John had a bad shooting night...but any wiz fan knows that happens that Wall's jumper is inconsistent. Its really improved but it isn't consistent. He still had 11 assist. Of course we wanted him to have 40 points and shoot well but i don't lay fault on him for this loss. Our defense was more to blame then any offensive ineptitude.

But even if we would have won....i still think the Bogdanovic move was dumb. We all knew we weren't beating Cleveland with this team. No matter who we picked up. It was going to be a stop gap. Our bench gave us nothing...as per usual. I just hope we don't waste Wall and Beal's prime years. I really hope in 2 years we have a shot at beating Lebron.

Great season man.

Don't lose sight of what this team accomplished last night.

It really bothers me how irrational FANS are.

Talking to my dude yesterday

Him: "This season had some positives but it (the season) is disappointing at the end of the day."
Me: You aren't being realistic. This season was a success. Of course things could have ended better, EVERY team will say that except for the CHAMPS, but this was a very successful season.

So again, don't let this loss cloud your judgement on the entire picture. This was a great city for the WASHINGTON WIZARDS.

As I have told Kest 100 times, everyone's DREAM is to win it all, but everyone doesn't have the same EXPECTATIONS. This team surpassed expectations.

Keep that in mind before you go into your irrational rants

1 i think the "wall didn't show up" criticism is way too harsh. John had a bad shooting night...but any wiz fan knows that happens that Wall's jumper is inconsistent. Its really improved but it isn't consistent. He still had 11 assist. Of course we wanted him to have 40 points and shoot well but i don't lay fault on him for this loss. Our defense was more to blame then any offensive ineptitude.
Agreed the criticism is harsh, but what really got me is his complete lack of effort on the defensive end. Wall allowed several points after falling asleep on backdoor cuts and didn't bother chasing his man once he went over the screen throughout the whole game. In his defense, he was probably tired and knew he would be playing basically the entire game.

This was one of the most enjoyable, maybe THE most enjoyable season I've ever watched of Wizards basketball. Starting off from such a low point to where they ended up was a real roller-coaster. I honestly couldn't be prouder of the efforts from guys like Wall/Beal. One is a true star in this league (Wall) and the other (Beal) is on the rise. That being said, they need help. Some serious help. Hopefully, Ernie Grunfeld is jettisoned because it was his roster construction, or lack thereof, that led to the Wizards falling in game 7. Not sure how you get 5 total points from the bench...5. :smh: There were some rotational issues I had last night with Brooks, but I'm placing the shortcomings of this team on the man that put it together. Even with the success of the Wizards this year, now would be the perfect time to cut ties with Grunfeld and get someone in here who can actually put together a bench that can contribute.

Folks talking about JW choked, I swear people LOVE throwing that word around.
My mans from DC hates Wall for some reason so he couldnt wait to fire up the slander/criticism last night, he was more pumped up when they lost last night than when Wall hit that game winner :lol:..i Always ask What he wants the team do do instead of having Wall and he has no answer :lol: :smh:

The weak bench finally did the team in when it matters most...But brooks reverted back to his sitting on his hands OKC style and didnt even really try to play a few bench guys or mix up the lineups ...Re sign Otto if the price is right for the Wiz and try to buy into the draft and pick up some young talent for the bench...Do they have any players stashed over seas?...Management gotta find some cheap vets that struggled last year and hope they can turn it around like Tyreke, Cassippi, Henson etc...Gotta see if they can unload either Gortat or Mahimi also, bthats gon be tough tho

Last edited:
Folks talking about JW choked, I swear people LOVE throwing that word around.

Right. I've seen that, and 'John Wall quit on his team'...like really??? John forced the game 7. We wouldn't have gone this deep into the second round if John didn't put the team on his back. We have seen the progression in his game since he got drafted to us in 2010. There is no doubt in my mind that him and Beal are going carry this team for the foreseeable future.

Wall's shot wasn't falling last night, and instead he deferred to Beal who had the hot hand late in the game. They played the whole second half for crying out loud, do people not realize they were gassed? Brooks and the coaching staff made some BIG mistakes last night with the rotation. Gortat, Mahinmi, and to a point Markieff were complete liabilities on defense (late in the game). Oubre should have been in the rotation, and they should have went to Jason Smith early once Mahinmi showed his horrible offensive skill set and mental lapses on defense.

We absolutely need an athletic big man and a complete overhaul of our bench.

I think it's safe to say Bogdanovic is not the answer coming off the bench. Neither is Jennings. I know we have only seen a small sample size of Sheldon Mac, but that just screams 'better scoring option' to me than anything else off the bench.

Last edited:
Great season.

Wall really stepped up, not just this series but all season. I have been going to verizon for years and the fans and stadium has always been dry since the Agent 0 days. This season when they started that home streak and then forward Wall kept that place buzzing. The too cool DC crowd would actually show up earlier (mid 1st quarter) and would chant and cheer. Beal showed up last night after being ghost a couple of games this series.

Scott Brooks continues to be an overrated coach. Top players going to get you some wins in this league, but not going to get you championships and conference/ finals appearances (ignore the season he went to nba finals, they had a mob in OKC)

I did not like the Bojan trade when it happened. I still believe we should have added Boogie to this team. I think Boogie, Wall, and Beal is a ECF contender every year and then you just add a bunch of 3 and d platers. You might say he doesn't play defense, but he would have ate the boston front line up. At least put pressure on them. Plus I think Wall can some what control his temper.

I am not sure how I feel about this team moving forward. I would say they took a step in the right direction, but if I remember correctly, two years ago they were in the same place. 2nd round and lost to the Hawks (wall got hurt). So they still have not been able to get over that hump no matter what the improvement of the regular season is.

Resign Otto if he takes the hometown discount, if he is asking for HIS max, then let him walk.

Marcus Smart said he noticed Wall's legs were gone. Well of course when your backup point guard still thinks the AND1 MixTape is in style. Good job Brandon Jennings. And now you got "Wizards Twitter" saying Wall choked. Yall love abusing that phrase man. Wall choked. Picture that. Dude was just dead.

Alright fellas, what do we need to do to get PG13? That's the only way I see us giving Bron a run for his money. I know we had a conversation already about this but I will take PG 10/10 times over Porter.

Alright fellas, what do we need to do to get PG13? That's the only way I see us giving Bron a run for his money. I know we had a conversation already about this but I will take PG 10/10 times over Porter.
Wiz have nothing that their willing to give up that Indy would even take a look at :lol: ... they pretty much out of the trade AND the free agecny market for any body that really matters right now

I'm not with this theory that you let Otto go to chase a free agent in 2018.  

For the sake of argument, let's say you're interested in participating in another Durant-style free agent sweepstakes.  That player has a strong financial incentive to stay with his current team.  The best way to get around that is via sign and trade.  What would the Pacers, Pelicans, etc. want more?  To lose their player for nothing, or to get a young, promising talent like Otto Porter and participate in a sign and trade?  

Sign Otto now.  You KNOW you'll have trade offers from the likes of Brooklyn on the table.  If you can flip him and get a big name free agent, great.  If not, don't throw him away for the "promise" of a free agent a year from now.  You were a game away from the ECF.  Don't punt 2017-2018 away because of abysmal cap management and some pipe dream. 

If you have another setback season, it'll just be a replay of last summer.  You'll get nobody and then Ernie has all this cap space burning a hole in his pocket.  That's how we wound up with Mahinmi.  

Back
Top Bottom