Wasn't New York City More Grimey In The 80s & 90s In Constrast To Now

gentrification is happening in dam near every major city in this country

Yup that would be correct. It's crazy cause I grew up in Seattle and all the suburbs that were around when I was a kid are now hood and the hood grew up in now the most sought after real estate in the city.

He'll when I go out to the bay it's becoming that way with all the black folk leaving SF and heading to the burbs were its cheaper.

Ain't no gentrifying Oakland though :rofl:

"Its like New Yorks been soft evers since Snoop came through and crushed the buildings"

I think of hipsters locating to NY...
ohwell.gif

At least public transportation isn't terrifying as it used to be , I've seen people get robbed for their kicks numerous times on the train going & coming back from school , smh I had to get a gun back then , wasn't trying to become a victim again after the incident when i was younger

LA is gettin gentrified HARD too. My folks live in the Slauson/Crenshaw area (the 60s) and every time I go back there's more and more white folks walking dogs, riding bikes and jogging at night and all that jazz. Whereas when we moved in circa 2000 cats were getting clapped every weekend a few blocks away and even on our street.

NYC in the 90's was a whole different New York. If you look at pics of 125th from about 93 and compare it to 2013 its like complete opposites. Hell certian parts of the Bronx looked like they were still stuck in the jimmy carter administration back then, hell some parts of the Bronx are still complete dumps even today

Regarding the kids in this era not being able to survive 20-30 years ago, I think they would eventually adjust to their surroundings. If the same dudes who were teenagers in the 80's and 90's grew up today and vice versa, perspectives and mentalities would be different.

I always ask my parents how it was growing up in the Bronx, my dad said it was no joke. Especially when riots would break out, store glass shattered, TV's gone, etc. My mom told me the story of how one day she was walking with my cousin to school and behind her was this kid walking. Out of nowhere she hears these bursts of air, 4 to 5 times, and when she turns around the kid was shot dead in front of the school playground. She threw away her jacket cause there were blood stains on it... My dad saw some crazy **** too, told me how some LK's made this dude jump from a 3 story building naked and the dude didn't die, but limped out of there like hell. :smh: But recently there's a change in the atmosphere, you can feel it. I'm looking forward to heading back honestly.

I got shot in the arm back in 99 , in the soundview projects after a party idk how the shots began ,but me & my friends heard agruing , the next minutes bullets flying from all angles , it was pure chaos , i was so drunk i didn't even notice i got shot until one of my friends noticed i was bleeding & two people got murdered that night including a friend I went to elementary school with smh
mean.gif
soundview was wild back then , I visited over there a couple months ago , still your average project but it's way different than how it used to be

Why was there so much violence? Hell, why does that violence even exists today? When you read things like a 1 year old getting shot in the head, how does that make you feel about the place you live in?

i recall driving through harlem back in 93' and seeing these pro-black paramilitary groups training and running laps in the park. :nerd:

obvious answer to the thread title is yes

of course coming from the hood aint nothing to be proud of or boast about...but when you see how things changed from back then, its just amazing.

Many years ago, I would have never thought the MTV Vma's would be in Brooklyn. lol

and also remember that NYC had the highest murder rate in the nation in 1990.

Last edited:
NYC in the 90's was a whole different New York. If you look at pics of 125th from about 93 and compare it to 2013 its like complete opposites. Hell certian parts of the Bronx looked like they were still stuck in the jimmy carter administration back then, hell some parts of the Bronx are still complete dumps even today

Regarding the kids in this era not being able to survive 20-30 years ago, I think they would eventually adjust to their surroundings. If the same dudes who were teenagers in the 80's and 90's grew up today and vice versa, perspectives and mentalities would be different.

90's :lol:

The 80's when the crack era hit and soft gun laws down south was far worse

70's were bad too, because they had a gang problem

Things started changing in New York in 92/93

I walk around Minnesota ave SE lookin preppy as hell feelin mad safe.

**** is mad different now.

AND I'm from PG.
South East might get a Walmart lol. The world is changing so much. Issue is the gentrification is not solving the problem it's just moving it. When you kick the people who lived in poverty out, wherever they move to next will have poverty and everything that comes along with it.

NC will be your new NYC

I don't live in Brooklyn but when I drove by Brownsville, the place still looks shady as it did years ago.

That's been the city's plan for years now. City planners work with developers to buy up whole blocks of property at a time, invest in them, and then jack up the rents and create business that will attract a "new" community.

The single mother that was raising a kid in a 2 bedroom apartment can no longer afford it, but 3-4 hipsters willing to share the rent so they can live close to the train and the city will do it in a heartbeat.

I think some communities are doing mixed income housing. If so that is the plus side of gentrification. There is no way to grow and develop a community when there is concentrated poverty.

Gentrification isnt a bad thing. It is happening mostly because living in the city costs so much, its pretty cool to see NYC evolve.

South Bronx, Brownsville, and East New York havent received the memo yet. :lol:

I think the most surprising turn around is Long Island City. Like, Hunter's Point actually looks good, and there is a park where a lot of people go to. :lol:

Gentrification isnt a bad thing. It is happening mostly because living in the city costs so much, its pretty cool to see NYC evolve.

South Bronx, Brownsville, and East New York havent received the memo yet.
laugh.gif

I think the most surprising turn around is Long Island City. Like, Hunter's Point actually looks good, and there is a park where a lot of people go to.
laugh.gif
At what cost though? The middle class is being pushed out of the city to the suburbs which aren't great and too far removed from everything. You have plenty of these young cats from the Midwest that can't even afford to live here, but they'll cram themselves 4-5 an apartment to make rent. Grown *** people should be beyond having roommates. This isn't college anymore.

At what cost though? The middle class is being pushed out of the city to the suburbs which aren't great and too far removed from everything. You have plenty of these young cats from the Midwest that can't even afford to live here, but they'll cram themselves 4-5 an apartment to make rent. Grown *** people should be beyond having roommates. This isn't college anymore.

You wouldnt share a bed with your best friend?

Back
Top Bottom