Weight Training Tips... Vol. gaining weight

Whats up NT.

Im looking to get back into the gym and im looking to gain 20-30lbs as a long term goal
I'm 5'9" 145lb btw
Any advice on what types of things to eat, supplements to take, shakes to drink, anything to help would be appreciated.
Also brands inparticular that you guys found worked well

thanks

Whats up NT.

Im looking to get back into the gym and im looking to gain 20-30lbs as a long term goal
I'm 5'9" 145lb btw
Any advice on what types of things to eat, supplements to take, shakes to drink, anything to help would be appreciated.
Also brands inparticular that you guys found worked well

thanks

I used to take Size On during workouts and that had me going hard the whole time and afterwards i would just take some whey protein to feed my muscles.I was gaining a lot of weight and muscles but someones face broke my hand so i had to take a few months off and lost all the progress i made.

I used to take Size On during workouts and that had me going hard the whole time and afterwards i would just take some whey protein to feed my muscles.I was gaining a lot of weight and muscles but someones face broke my hand so i had to take a few months off and lost all the progress i made.

that's strange because my hand is broken as we speak.. and i want to start as soon as i am able to lift w/o pain.

Any other tips?

that's strange because my hand is broken as we speak.. and i want to start as soon as i am able to lift w/o pain.

Any other tips?

how i started was focusing on compounds. deads, bench, squat, military press and such

how i started was focusing on compounds. deads, bench, squat, military press and such

Yep, nbafatso (
laugh.gif
) is right - compound lifts - and I would suggest you lift heavy. 5 reps is my max. I do 5 sets of 5 reps - as soon as I can do that I add more weight (and the next time I can usually do about 3 and it takes a few weeks to get back to 5). I've seen great improvements in strength since I've been doing that - and just a thickness through my shoulders and chest.

I only ever do 2 lifts a night too - either squats or deadlift and then either a shoulder press, bench or pullups. Takes 45-60 mins to do those 2 lifts - with just a couple of minutes between sets and a few minutes between different lifts.

Yep, nbafatso (
laugh.gif
) is right - compound lifts - and I would suggest you lift heavy. 5 reps is my max. I do 5 sets of 5 reps - as soon as I can do that I add more weight (and the next time I can usually do about 3 and it takes a few weeks to get back to 5). I've seen great improvements in strength since I've been doing that - and just a thickness through my shoulders and chest.

I only ever do 2 lifts a night too - either squats or deadlift and then either a shoulder press, bench or pullups. Takes 45-60 mins to do those 2 lifts - with just a couple of minutes between sets and a few minutes between different lifts.

Originally Posted by frankthekingdtx

My dude I just bought a tub of Size On... glad to see you got good results from it 

Originally Posted by frankthekingdtx

My dude I just bought a tub of Size On... glad to see you got good results from it 

another question.. do you guys normally eat or take whatever supplements before or after the workout?

another question.. do you guys normally eat or take whatever supplements before or after the workout?

Originally Posted by washanobotit

To answer your question: Whey protein should be taken pre workout and post workout. (When you first wake up before breakfast is also good)

Advice to gaining bulk/weight.

Protein is the key to building muscle because without it your body does not have the key to open the door to repair and building muscle.
I recommend you purchase two types of protein: Whey Protein and Casien Protein (there is a difference between Whey and Casien)
Whey is a fast absorbing protein which I already told you when to be taken and Casien is a very slow absorbing protein which should be taken before bed and on recovery days.
Multivitamin should also be taken to make up for a lack of nutrition and Fish oil should be taken as well. Fish oil has many many positives behind it.
Gaining weight also requires for you to take more calories a day than you currently do but I recommend you eat more often but healthy foods (Rice,Pasta,Turkey,Ham,Chicken,Wheat Bread etc)

If you have anymore questions, feel free to PM me

Originally Posted by washanobotit

To answer your question: Whey protein should be taken pre workout and post workout. (When you first wake up before breakfast is also good)

Advice to gaining bulk/weight.

Protein is the key to building muscle because without it your body does not have the key to open the door to repair and building muscle.
I recommend you purchase two types of protein: Whey Protein and Casien Protein (there is a difference between Whey and Casien)
Whey is a fast absorbing protein which I already told you when to be taken and Casien is a very slow absorbing protein which should be taken before bed and on recovery days.
Multivitamin should also be taken to make up for a lack of nutrition and Fish oil should be taken as well. Fish oil has many many positives behind it.
Gaining weight also requires for you to take more calories a day than you currently do but I recommend you eat more often but healthy foods (Rice,Pasta,Turkey,Ham,Chicken,Wheat Bread etc)

If you have anymore questions, feel free to PM me

Start with compound lifts-bench press, squat, deadlift, military press, pull-ups
In terms of supplements, if you think you need them, then take whey protein (Optimum Nutrition is usually recommended), you can drink milk for casein protein before going to bed, no need to buy a casein supplement unless you're lactose intolerant, you can take creatine if you want although I wouldn't recommend for people just beginning to lift. Pre-workout supplements are useless if you eat enough before working out. Here are some decent sites that have articles that give you a nice overview of where to start. I would definitely recommend reading everything that interests you. There's also a thread in general about this topic that's 200+ pages

http://www.t-nation.com/;...79F185C996B626A-he.hydra
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/index.html

Start with compound lifts-bench press, squat, deadlift, military press, pull-ups
In terms of supplements, if you think you need them, then take whey protein (Optimum Nutrition is usually recommended), you can drink milk for casein protein before going to bed, no need to buy a casein supplement unless you're lactose intolerant, you can take creatine if you want although I wouldn't recommend for people just beginning to lift. Pre-workout supplements are useless if you eat enough before working out. Here are some decent sites that have articles that give you a nice overview of where to start. I would definitely recommend reading everything that interests you. There's also a thread in general about this topic that's 200+ pages

http://www.t-nation.com/;...79F185C996B626A-he.hydra
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/index.html

Doctorshoes offered both solid and valid sources for bodybuilding. Considering milk offers 7 grams of protein per 8 oz serving it is a good sub for Casien protein but you will need to drink 3 cups to match one scoop of Casien protein

Doctorshoes offered both solid and valid sources for bodybuilding. Considering milk offers 7 grams of protein per 8 oz serving it is a good sub for Casien protein but you will need to drink 3 cups to match one scoop of Casien protein

Originally Posted by kdawg

Yep, nbafatso (
laugh.gif

can someone chime in on this? can hypertrophy occur working towards a 5x5 routine?  ive always worked towards 12x5 or 15x3 when im bulking.

Back
Top Bottom