What are valuable hard skills to learn for career advancement?

Don't complain about work to bosses, co-workers, or to other people at work. Either formally complain through HR or keep your mouth shut if you don't plan to take action.

Edit: Also, since you are in HR, what type of ERP system does your company use? PeopleSoft, SAP, etc? Getting into one of those modules could be golden for you. I know a lot of places are looking for HR IT Analyst.

Using Workday right now.

Thanks to the people who read past the title. Networking, and hard work can only get you so far if you can't offer more to the company you're being brought into.

This is some surprisingly terrible advice NT lol. The man asking for tangible hard skills - not advice on playing the politics soft skills game.

:smh:

Using Workday right now.

Thanks to the people who read past the title. Networking, and hard work can only get you so far if you can't offer more to the company you're being brought into.

:smh:

:smh::smh::smh:
Thought you said you work in HR. Once you have a degree it’s all networking and on the job training

Someone gonna show up with all these skills only to be passed over for the boss’ squat partner

Develop things that can't be taught. Python, Anaconda, etc... can all bet taught on the job.

The most valuable traits are intangible and unteachable. Work ethic? Ethics? Entrepreneurial spirit? Are you curious? Do you have ambition?

Competence > Skills

:smh::smh::smh:
Thought you said you work in HR. Once you have a degree it’s all networking and on the job training

Someone gonna show up with all these skills only to be passed over for the boss’ squat partner

I get what you're saying; trust me, I benefit from it lol. My statement probably came off the wrong way, especially about networking. Things listed are "obvious" skills needed. It was just about the recommendations I got when I was looking for hard skills that could help me in getting more of a leg up down the line.

Last edited:
SQL is pretty widely used; learning it now in my new job.

Excel (obviously), knowing your way around Access (queries, tables, primary keys, etc), Tableau. I've heard Python and R can be helpful too, but I'm not familiar with it. Not sure if it's relevant to HR, but Salesforce is pretty widely used as well.

But you'd be surprised how many people struggle with basic stuff like filtering an Excel spreadsheet, so don't feel like you're "behind". Just make a list of stuff you think is relevant for your field or the field you wanna be in and find the necessary trainings. LinkedIn learning has some good training videos too, but you might have to pay if you can't access thru your company.

Good luck fam.

Edit: Also, all the networking in the world ain't gonna save you if you don't know anything. Yeah, your network may have gotten you the job, but now you're making that person in your network look bad because you have no clue what you're doing. That's not a good long term strategy.

Seems like most you guys work in an office probably doesn’t really apply to most but whatever.

I got one. Don’t fight people, contractors you work with are great 95% of the time but you will have that 5% that will push you and sometimes try to get you to throw hands because that’s the only way they know you will get fired.

Had a guy try that with me today. Took everything I had to just simply call him an ******* and drive off vs getting in his face. At the end of the day I got my job and he’ll always be a screaming douche bag who looks like a psycho at work.

He’s also not allowed to buy concrete from us anymore after I told my boss. :lol:

SQL is pretty widely used; learning it now in my new job.

Excel (obviously), knowing your way around Access (queries, tables, primary keys, etc), Tableau. I've heard Python and R can be helpful too, but I'm not familiar with it. Not sure if it's relevant to HR, but Salesforce is pretty widely used as well.

But you'd be surprised how many people struggle with basic stuff like filtering an Excel spreadsheet, so don't feel like you're "behind". Just make a list of stuff you think is relevant for your field or the field you wanna be in and find the necessary trainings. LinkedIn learning has some good training videos too, but you might have to pay if you can't access thru your company.

Good luck fam.

Edit: Also, all the networking in the world ain't gonna save you if you don't know anything. Yeah, your network may have gotten you the job, but now you're making that person in your network look bad because you have no clue what you're doing. That's not a good long term strategy.

You might think this is true but it takes a very long time for something like this to happen. It’ll also only happen if you know absolutely nothing which is rare. Like the other poster said it’s when the under qualified get a leg up. The assumption is that you’ll learn what you don’t know on the job. That’s not also considering unrequired job requirements used to lower the amount of applicants per role

even the most basic HTML literacy and graphic design skills can go a long way in many organizations. knowing how to actually use the English language helps too.

if you have experience with site design and e-commerce tools, you'll be valuable to someone all the time. typing speed is also an overlooked asset.

thread might have more context if everyone shared their career fields as well, different careers have vastly different requirements.

Has anyone in here taught themselves sql? I want to transition into a BA role in my industry but I’m not even sure where to get the training as I have an unrelated bachelors.

i hate it, but Tableau (or other analytics software, although Tableau is the industry leader) is another good one to learn...if you can create BASIC visuals that can communicate insights, its never a bad thing

Forget what you're absolutely terrible at. Double down on your strengths and figure out a way to turn that into quantifiable value for your company.

My thoughts anyway. The more I think about work, the more I know I can't do this **** much longer.

Has anyone in here taught themselves sql? I want to transition into a BA role in my industry but I’m not even sure where to get the training as I have an unrelated bachelors.
Yeah, I have. Here is a good resource to help you get going. https://www.w3schools.com/sql/ Just think of a database table as an excel spreadsheet with columns and data under each one. It's a pretty simple concept that can get really technical.

Back
Top Bottom