What are your thoughts on "camping"?

Used to "camp" back in the early to mid 2000's, but it wasn't really camping then. It was more like everyone hang out in your car in the parking lot, slowly migrate towards the mall doors 15 minutes before opening and then walk swiftly to Finishline. No running. No line jumping. Just cop your shoes and dip.

My most recent camping experience (and my first since the Black/Metallic V's in '06) was for the Concords. That pretty much put a nail in the camping coffin for me. When dudes are talking about shooting folks in line for J's, I'm doing too much. Never again. That release made me look differently at humanity, I swear lol. I'll either try to cop early or pay reseller prices before I ever wait in line for any retail product again.

Originally Posted by jordan3cement

love camping. especially with firewood, a nice warm sleeping bag, hot s'mores, and some shrooms.

Now thats camping
happy.gif

I recently waited hours for the all star LeBron and I said "never again". First bet is internet, if not then I'll show up a few hours early. I'm not with hours and hours of standing online. I'm buying too many shoes as is

For the concord's I went 6 hours early, and that is definitely the max amount of time that I'd sit and wait for a shoe. If so many people are copping and camping for these shoes, I get to the point that I don't even want them because everyone and their mothers will be rocking them. I like a little bit of originality, and it seems like every new retro release is being scooped up by a bunch of people who really don't know anything about the shoes other than they are stylish at this point in time. I buy Jordan's because I enjoy having a little bit of history on my feet, but if worst comes to worst that I have to camp out 6+ hours, I'd rather pay the extra money to buy the OG's or the retro that came out before.

I think some guys here are mixing up waiting
in a row in front of a shop for 1 to 2 hours
And camping for at least one night.
i think if u arrive before a shop opens, it does not
Count as camping, unless u skipped ur sleep
To arrive there in the early morning and waited
For around 6 hours or longer.
anyway, if u r clever, u never need to camp
For a shoe, even not for limited releases
wink.gif

Drove by Nordstrom in Bellevue (WA) tonight. About 20 people were camping outside. What are they waiting for? I'm being serious. I'm not up on the latest releases, and tried to figure it out based on the popular threads here, but can't.

Originally Posted by memphissfinest

FOR PEOPLE LIKE MYSELF WITH CAREERS, CAMPING IS NOT AN OPTION UNLESS I USE PTO (PAID TIME OFF) OR VACATION DAYS. I'LL BE DAMNED IF I USE VACATION DAYS TO GO WAIT IN LINE FOR THAT TIME AND IN RETURN FOR MY TIME WAITING I GOTTA GIVE THEM MY MONEY. NO THANKS.

WITH NO CAREER OR PRIORITIES, THEN CAMPING IS OK I GUESS BUT EVEN THEN, SHOULDN'T YOU USE THAT TIME TO GET A JOB OR PRIORITIES?

WHEN I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL, I NEVER HAD TO CAMP BECAUSE THIS WAS DURING THE TIME YOU COULD JUST WALK IN AND BUY A PAIR BUT I DID HAVE TO CAMP A FEW TIMES WHEN I WAS COLLEGE DURING WHERE BUYING 2 PAIRS MEANT YOUR PAIR WAS GONNA BASICALLY BE FREE.
This.

The most I'll do is arrive at the spot like 2 - 3 hours before it opens on a Saturday (day off).

With a career and other priorities it's simply not an option.

Originally Posted by sthebest

I have never camped for anything and probably never will. My pride won't let me. I'd rather pay a reseller than to sleep outside a sneaker store for days for something that took no more than $5 to make. The energy camping would be better spent utilizing your taents to make the money to get whatever sneakers you want IMO.

camping is only okay if you're a teenager or are in your early 20's. if you're in your late 20's and older and are camping with kids half your age, you really need to re-evaluate your priorities.

Exactly. I got to much pride to do some of the #%#% people do get sneakers. It's not that serious to me. I waited 2 or 3 hours for my true blues thats as far as I'm going.

I wish I had a connect so I never had to camp. I was thinking of taking a part-time at finishline just to have em on lock!

Camped for the Black/Cement Lasers IV's.. And got my pair.. Dudes would camp for a week for those now.

I've only camped out for shoes once and that was for the DMP's. It was awesome hanging out with total strangers who have the same passion as yourself. You meet people from different aspects of life. Would I do it again? Probably......
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Sneakerfan1

Originally Posted by memphissfinest

FOR PEOPLE LIKE MYSELF WITH CAREERS, CAMPING IS NOT AN OPTION UNLESS I USE PTO (PAID TIME OFF) OR VACATION DAYS. I'LL BE DAMNED IF I USE VACATION DAYS TO GO WAIT IN LINE FOR THAT TIME AND IN RETURN FOR MY TIME WAITING I GOTTA GIVE THEM MY MONEY. NO THANKS.

WITH NO CAREER OR PRIORITIES, THEN CAMPING IS OK I GUESS BUT EVEN THEN, SHOULDN'T YOU USE THAT TIME TO GET A JOB OR PRIORITIES?

WHEN I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL, I NEVER HAD TO CAMP BECAUSE THIS WAS DURING THE TIME YOU COULD JUST WALK IN AND BUY A PAIR BUT I DID HAVE TO CAMP A FEW TIMES WHEN I WAS COLLEGE DURING WHERE BUYING 2 PAIRS MEANT YOUR PAIR WAS GONNA BASICALLY BE FREE.
This.

The most I'll do is arrive at the spot like 2 - 3 hours before it opens on a Saturday (day off).

With a career and other priorities it's simply not an option.
agree... and at the end of the day, if that pair ain't available anymore I'd just try and scour online for the next best deal for it... and if luck still eludes me then it's just on to the next one...

I've never camped before.
The longest I've waited for shoes was 90 minutes for the '09 Space Jams.

Originally Posted by mjshoefanatic

e2c3594141847915572e2d474078ff746c472d0_r.gif

CAMPING in 2012 is for kiddies, hypebeasts and resellers.

COUNT ME OUT!

Hypebeasts and resellers? I just want some shoes without paying $50+ over retail for them early

The last shoe i camped for was the Flu Game 12s , for maybe 2 or 3 hours
True Blues , Cardinals , and Metallic 5s walked straight in the store and picked them up.

Cool Greys and Concords I copped online . For Big releases I try to get them online or its a bust.

camping is for Losers. i may get to a store 15 mins before opening, thats about it. shoes arent that serious to me anymore...

Originally Posted by jordan3cement

love camping. especially with firewood, a nice warm sleeping bag, hot s'mores, and some shrooms.

Me too... S'mores are the BEST!

Originally Posted by balleroni

Camped for the Black/Cement Lasers IV's.. And got my pair.. Dudes would camp for a week for those now.
Yeah but that was the era when camping meant sitting outside the mall early Saturday morning an hour before the stores opened. 
Those days are gone my friend. 

Does anyone remember when camping was fun? Like, you wake up at 7 or 8 and the mall opened at 9-10 and you chilled with your mans in the car then just walked in and copped a pair each? Then check the kicks out in the car on the ride home, took a nap, then went to work/chilled/did  whatever with the rest of your day?

Now you gotta race online to get a pair, stand outside for days, and sell your first born just to cop. 

%#$% is weak now. My high school memories of buying shoes > these dudes now. But he;;, my older cousins who put me on was copping in the 90's so they really had it easy. I was jealous of them even when I was copping from 01-05/06

Originally Posted by YoShoeGameIsWack

The last shoe i camped for was the Flu Game 12s , for maybe 2 or 3 hours
What?

Those shoes were chillin in stores for a good while. I guess I'm surprised you camped for them.

camp? no

but i will get there early in the morning. does that count?

it is cool if you meet nice people.

at the CG III release there was a guy who said he's not leaving here without them and basically threatened the whole line.

Back
Top Bottom