What car would you buy that's under $5k?

What's good NT,

In the market for a new vehicle. Not trying to spend a lot, so no more than $5k.

We currently have a Ford Explorer but the Mrs. uses it to get to work each day. I've been fine with just getting on the light rail but I'm starting at a new job location where the light rail doesn't run.

I want something that's modern, popular and that has some style to it but inexpensive. Some of the cars I've been looking at are;

2006+ Impala
2005+ Grand Prix
2008 Malibu (a stretch at $5k)
2003+ CTS

2002+ Camry
2003+ Accord

I've even been looking at 1996+ LS400. It was my first car.

Anybody have any thoughts or suggestions? A co-worker said a Saturn Aura but IDK about that haha.

Will probably purchase in the next few weeks.

2006+ Impala
2005+ Grand Prix
2008 Malibu (a stretch at $5k)
2003+ CTS

2002+ Camry
2003+ Accord

Those first are absolutely terrible choices don't waste your money. Get one of the second two Japanese cars you listed.

and for the love of god stop being friends with anybody who recommends a Saturn aura.

Last edited:
Camrys are tanks..heard the older Nissan have issues with there transmissions

The late 90s/early 00s Altimas had transmission issues for sure. I remember my ex girlfriends cousin having transmission issues in both her and her moms Altimas

Did you check the NT marketplace, there is a fully loaded KIA for the low doe
it's in the dealership parking lot with the key in it. It's under the seat but it's a push button so you just jump in and start it up as long as the key is in range. Dodge ain't even in no rush to go pick it up

And I am in the market for a cheap cash car too, thinking about a Grand Prix since that was my previous car and I bought that at 36 then ran it all the way near 200k with no problems except had to get the brakes done once

Last edited:
And I am in the market for a cheap cash car too, thinking about a Grand Prix since that was my previous car and I bought that at 36 then ran it all the way near 200k with no problems except had to get the brakes done once

No issues besides brakes?

Honda, Volvo, and Nissan.

I'm temporarily driving a fully loaded 06 Malibu, not a terrible car but zero fun factor in the LTZ model. No issues from previous owner, but I had to replace the starter this week.

Camrys are tanks..heard the older Nissan have issues with there transmissions

This is facts, everyone I know who owned a Maxima or Altima made from 91 to 2002 had transmission issues. That's like 12-15 people so I'm betting it's not a fluke.

Cadillac CTS has a good engine, can run a good amount of time IMO. It just with GM they have annoying little problems, like steering power pump always breaking, etc.

I think Toyota is the best brand, but for what some of these people want for their used high mileaged cars, forget about it, go American. Just buy a good American car , they can be found, just do homework. Easy as hell to work on too

I just saw a Cadillac CTS used, under 100K for $5k, clean car. vs a used Lexus LS430 vs with 181k for same price. Thats a 80k mile difference, same price.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom