What do you guys think of this? Experts say if Michael Jordan were to be playing today...

Originally Posted by Fro B Giant

All of this data is based on the statements made "If there was no hand checking and no rough play". Not sure what games you all are watching but I see plenty of hand checking and rough play. "The rules" are simply not being followed.

One other thing to note: Jordan got the benefit of A LOT of calls similar to if not more than D Wade and Lebron.

Kobe does not get the benefit of those calls, it could be because he complains almost every play the ball doesn't go in, it could be the refs just don't like him, frankly it doesn't matter the reason. The point is he doesn't get the "Jordan rules"

I watched Jordan and loved to watch him play, still believe that he is the best to ever play the game but not by a lot like some Jordan fanatics.

Another thing is I hate to hear the "If" arguments, they mean nothing and are really pointless because all are based on opinion and could never be proved no matter how many 10 minute YouTube videos you post on the subject.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Do people realize the percentage Jordan shot on average when he was in the league?
laugh.gif

And that he averaged 37ppg in like his 3rd or 4th year in the league?

that boy carried that eam though.

he would not average 40 or 50
laugh.gif

yall are nuts 35 yes. but not with a good team.

its not like the league once he retired went all bland and crappy.

This shows you how MJ's his legend has grown out of control.

Nobody can question MJ's greatness, but to say he'd avg 50 pts today is HILARIOUS.

Against better athletes at that ......WOW.

Originally Posted by luigi202

Dude's argument has flaws. He says Jordan would take 30 shots a game and estimates a number of points scored from that. He also said Jordan would get to the foul line more frequently and gives him 12 made free throws. But he never subtracts the shots from the line from the (already inflated) 30 shots per game.

No way MJ would average 50. 35 is possible, but if one man is going to put up 50 a night you better believe a double team is coming every play.

THIS.

Jordan fans are going in today.
laugh.gif

At most he'd average 35... But one guy chucking up shots isn't what wins championships

Too many teams went looking for Jordan clones after his success for him to have the same success in today's league.

It's also touted that MJ never took charges. In today's league he would either have foul trouble or a lot more hate toward the favoritism he would be receiving.

The "50" number is just journalistic hyperbole used to display an ongoing admiration of Jordan's game. It funny because these same guys say LeBron could be the best ever yet he will get nowhere near 50 ppg. Or what about that "Triple Double Season" that is just ever so slightly out of LeBron's grasp.... rrrright. It's all hype and it all stems from journalists trying to convey how much they think of a person.

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

If Jordan averaged 35-37 ppg earlier in his career and he has a career average of shooting 50% from teh field, I'm sure he could get that plus more in the NBA today.

So, 50 may be a reach, but anywhere between 40-45 I can see.

Its really a pointless argument because we will never know anyways.
This...i dont think anyone under the age of 27 really knows how great Jordan was..If you were born in 85 then you were in junior high when MJ was @ the tail end of his career...When he averaged 37 ppg  i'm willing to bet 80% of NTers werent even born.

When he scored 63 points, that was against a championship caliber team in the playoffs. That would be like a rookie scoring 63 points vs the Lakers or Celtics type D w/ no other scoring options and the games being as physical as game 7 was..

sure he could average ~35 and get swept out of the playoffs every year if he came back to the East

What most of you guys are seemingly ignoring is the fact that sgs and sfs are a lot more athletic these days and pfs and centers are alot more agile. So the days of clobbering big men slow to plug the lane is over especially on a fine tuned defense team like some of you just saw with the Celtics but then again a lot you don't understand what they did during that seven game series is pretty much over

You guys kill me with this "SG and SF are more athletic now so he wouldnt be able to do it" logic. So what if the league is more athletic now? Athleticism doesnt make one a good defender, discipline does. Look at MJ in his final ASG, 39 years old with the ball in his hands against the 6'8" 24 year old super athletic Shawn Marion. What happened? Money hit the high arching fade that shoulda won the game.

Jordan's BBall IQ was insanely good. He read defenders, sized them up from his 3x threat stance...and destroyed the guy in front of him. I can definitely see Mike getting 42 a night.

The athletes in the NBA today are quicker and bigger than they were when Jordan was playing. Especially the 2 guards and small forwards. I dont think he would have averaged more than he did when he was playing. But nevertheless, he would have still been the best player. Smarts and skills like he had would transcend in any era

i dont know what NBA this bro is watching....i see plenty of hand checking every night....look at the 08 finals, as well as this one...extremely physical.....i think the "no handchecking" nonsense is overplayed majorly.....dudes do it all the time and no calls..

Sorry didn't mean to take a jab at this but... if Jordan could play in today's era and crack at Wilt's record for 50 ppg, then why can't this same method be applied to Wilt? Surely Wilt would have more than one 100pt game, and his scoring average would also go up proportionately .. say 70ppg

I agree with some of the things this guy's saying, but I also believe that some of these older guys still want to be mentioned and in the limelight and not fade off into obscurity. 

In basketball, especially the NBA, there's showmanship and there's also winning.  You could do crazy crossovers... AND1 stuff, embarrass the guy or whatever, but bottom line is team play and winning.  As I mentioned in another thread, Lebron James might be a freakish athlete and better than anyone on the Celtics, but look how (as a team) they were able to neutralize him. 

MJ was averaging over 20 playing for the Wizards.

Of course he would average close to 50 (if he was in his prime) in this NBA era.

Originally Posted by EvansST

MJ was averaging over 20 playing for the Wizards.

Of course he would average close to 50 (if he was in his prime) in this NBA era.
@ 40 years old..didnt he have a 50 point game when he was 38?

ohwell.gif
at the people saying there was handchecking in last nights game, there was also PLENTY of touch fouls and flopping fouls too..

Interesting to hear those players opinions.

Especially considering how MJ wasn't exactly the most liked guy in the NBA.

Back
Top Bottom