What does a groomesman do?

So my friend is getting married in a few months and I guess I'm in his wedding party. He never outright asked me but seems to be including me in certain things so I guess im in it. I dont really care for weddings or like standing in front of groups of people like that but its his and his wife's thing so ill play along.

what do groomespeople actually do?

You should probably confirm you're in the party cause at the very least you will need to rent a Tux.

Get blitzed to support your boy on his most important day. Smash cousins, bridesmaids, other relatives etc.

Think that's a solid job description.

Not to threadjack, but what's the proper attire to wear to a wedding as a guest? Suit?

I haven't been to one in a while and I was recently invited to one.

he mentioned to me about renting a wedding uniform so that was the giveaway.
laugh.gif

if i somehow misconstrued what he said, its no sweat off my back. like i mentioned, im not really a wedding-festivities type of person but ill be there to support my friend. 

o and if the bridesmaids are her friends that ive met in the past, they are straight
sick.gif
. also the women that ive met from his side of the family (sister, a few 1st/2nd cousins and such) are not good looking at all. 

Not to threadjack, but what's the proper attire to wear to a wedding as a guest? Suit?

I haven't been to one in a while and I was recently invited to one.

I think it all depends on the wedding.

I've been to a few where the invite specifically says "black tie" meaning a tuxedo for the guy. And I've seen some weddings where the reception is just in someone's backyard and it's very casual (even t-shirt and jeans and sneakers).

BUT i'd rather be overdressed then under-dressed, so unless you're in the wedding party, I usually roll in with jacket, collared shirt and tie, dress pants and leather shoes.

wedding gift? i write a check. usually based on the amount of the "per plate" the couple is paying for the reception (i nonchalantly ask family or friends how big or small the wedding will be).

Reactions: Ube
You should ask him, the groom is not responsible for renting/buying tuxes, only etiquette I know of is that the groom buys his groomsmen a gift which is given the day of the wedding, this is to show gratitude for all they did, being a groomsmen means you assume the responsibility to cover your own attire, help out with the bachelor party, etc etc.

Hopefully is a laid back wedding and he doesn't make ya wear rented tuxes...nothing looks worst than rented tuxedos...that's my opinion though.

he mentioned to me about renting a wedding uniform so that was the giveaway. :lol:

if i somehow misconstrued what he said, its no sweat off my back. like i mentioned, im not really a wedding-festivities type of person but ill be there to support my friend. 

o and if the bridesmaids are her friends that ive met in the past, they are straight :x . also the women that ive met from his side of the family (sister, a few 1st/2nd cousins and such) are not good looking at all. 

Well damb!

:rofl:

You buy/rent your own tux for the wedding and definitely help out with the bachelor party. 
o and if the bridesmaids are her friends that ive met in the past, they are straight
sick.gif
. also the women that ive met from his side of the family (sister, a few 1st/2nd cousins and such) are not good looking at all
If that's the case you better make sure they have an open bar so you can at least enjoy the wedding one way or another, and if not then have a bottle for yourself in the car outside and just keep going back and forth to fill up.

Hopefully is a laid back wedding and he doesn't make ya wear rented tuxes...nothing looks worst than rented tuxedos...that's my opinion though.
i got all the love in the world for my friend, but i fear this will be so. he is one of the cheesiest/corniest people i know and i feel he is going to have everyone in the wedding party looking like a tacky prom with loud/odd colors and such. matching with the bridesmaids and all.
laugh.gif
mean.gif

also the wedding is on a sunday afternoon in late july out in the country. its going to be hot as hell.
sick.gif

Last edited:
You buy/rent your own tux for the wedding and definitely help out with the bachelor party. 

If that's the case you better make sure they have an open bar so you can at least enjoy the wedding one way or another, and if not then have a bottle for yourself in the car outside and just keep going back and forth to fill up.
haha yes it was confirmed open bar!

i got all the love in the world for my friend, but i fear this will be so. he is one of the cheesiest/corniest people i know and i feel he is going to have everyone in the wedding party looking like a tacky prom.

also the wedding is on a sunday afternoon in late july out in the country. its going to be hot as hell. :x

A tux... outside... in the middle of July....

RIP my friend.

haha yes it was confirmed open bar!
Well at least that's one positive champ.  Maybe there will be at least one descent looking bridesmaid that can keep you company during the event.  As far as the bachelor party goes, ask the best man what plans he has or what does he want to do for the groom, and then you and the rest of the groomsmen go from there.
A tux... outside... in the middle of July....
Yeah, not a good look at all.  Maybe ask the groom if you guys can switch over to linen or something along those lines.

So my friend is getting married in a few months and I guess I'm in his wedding party. He never outright asked me but seems to be including me in certain things so I guess im in it. I dont really care for weddings or like standing in front of groups of people like that but its his and his wife's thing so ill play along.

what do groomespeople actually do?

I'm getting married in May. While this may not be proper etiquette or whatever this is what I expect out of my groomsmen.

We've already done the bachelor party. We went to Vegas for the AVNs back in January and had a blast. So that's taken care of. My normal opinion is the Bach Party is on your boys, but I specifically wanted to go to Vegas for the AVNs so I told them I'd pay my way and take care of all my own expenses b/c I know its not cheap to go to Vegas. While we were there they hooked me up with drinks, dances, the usual stuff. But I paid my travel, my portion on the rooms, and all my food and stuff.

I hope they'll support me and back me up at some of these lame showers I have to go to, but I'm not gonna be crushed if they don't.

As for the weekend of the wedding I expect them to be presentable at the rehearsal/ and rehearsal dinner. It's a BBQ so nothing fancy. But I expect them to be there and be attentive to what's going on.

We are buying suits as opposed to renting tuxedos. I'm trying to get us a package discount on the suits, and already checked with my boys on a price range so I don't pick something that is not acceptable to everyone. At the same time, I'm going basic black suits, so I'm not requiring them to buy something that they can't use again down the road.

As for the wedding they will serve as ushers to all the guests. I don't see a point in asking people to be ushers while me and the groomsmen stay in the back waiting for the actual wedding to start.

Other than that I hope they have fun and enjoy the day as much as possible.

Also I've tracked down and purchased DS Concord XIs for all my groomsmen and that will be their groomsmens gift and what we wear to the reception in place of the dress shoes we will wear in the wedding.

The wedding I'm in is in the middle of July in the scorching southern heat of Arkansas! Thankfully it's indoors

maybe a stupid question, but since its open bar, do you still tip?
nerd.gif
And here we go
No need for debate.

Hosted bars typically have a service charge that is automatically charged to the person who is paying.

Probably 20% or 21%.  I usually still tip $1 since I'm not paying for anything else at a wedding... $5-$10 bucks for all the booze i can drink is nothing.

Also I've tracked down and purchased DS Concord XIs for all my groomsmen and that will be their groomsmens gift and what we wear to the reception in place of the dress shoes we will wear in the wedding.

wow,, balling man.

how many did you need to get. you must have high wedding budget. you and the fiance paying for the wedding yourself, or were you fortunate enough to have the "TRADITION" where brides DAD/PARENTS pay for everything.

Back
Top Bottom