What happened to Freddy Adu?

My man just posted this on another board
I still remember going to his first game with the DC united.......10 years Ago........He is only TWENTY-FIVE now.........This guy has been playing professionally since he was 14 years old....Clearly was not ready for that bump, I mean, NO ONE IS...Not Messi, Not Ronaldo, Neymar...the list goes on and on.....I honestly blame US Soccer (and his mother), for his demise. He had so much potential, but was pointed in the wrong direction that cost him a long great career. Yes, He made big Money at the time. But now he can't even find a team to take him...The ***** is in Norway playing in a **** league on a **** team now LOL.....

The reason why I blame his Mom is because his choice was between 2 Uniteds......Manchester United and DC united.......His mom didn't want him going to England.....and in the end, its cost him....

I thought about Freddy after reading an article about Julian Green and how Julian is being protected by Bayern Munich......

I know nothing about soccer but this was big news in our area. I didn't know his mother made THAT decision. Sheesh

sick.gif
sick.gif
 wow...

Inter milan wanted him to come to their academy when he was "10" years old but on advice from agents, his mother refused. Other Italian clubs were interested too.

Moms had her eye on that money , not worried bout Freddy's long term career or development

:smh: me and my homie were just talking about this guy on saturday
The really sad thing is that this kid only has soccer as a means for a decent living

Thread is full of lulz. :lol:

Poor Freddy. He is THAT talented.

And it was an easy decision not to head to Europe at 14, it would have made it impossible to gain American citizenship. Kind of important when you're being offered asylum after fleeing a war torn country.

Last edited:
His mom is a ******* idiot and exactly why boys need a father around

Thot ***** mom only thinking about the immediate chump change MLS threw at her.

He's exactly the kind of creative attacker we need sitting right behind the forward line or playing wide then drifting in like Landon/Clint used to.

Can you imagine a Freddy, Clint, and prime Landon together? We'd actually have a confident attack.

She single-handedly stopped a talented prospect from getting better. It's treason to send a player to progress in the MLS rather than oversees, a felony.

His mom is a ******* idiot and exactly why boys need a father around

Thot ***** mom only thinking about the immediate chump change MLS threw at her.

Miss me with that. It was a different era, no academies, no regional leagues, no quality training anywhere. There was NO WHERE else for him to play.

They tried to limit his exposure at first and realized it wasn't gonna work so they ran with it. Exposure and status didn't ruin Fredy.

Miss me with that. It was a different era, no academies, no regional leagues, no quality training anywhere. There was NO WHERE else for him to play.

They tried to limit his exposure at first and realized it wasn't gonna work so they ran with it. Exposure and status didn't ruin Fredy.

You dense? He had options OVERSEAS! He could have been groomed under the best development academies in the world yet he ends up at DC United, where he doesn't even get quality 1st team minutes, on top of dealing with a coach who was turned off by the idea of Adu being a prodigy.

Look at Gio Dos Santos. He and Freddy were on the same exact career path yet he took the Euro option and is light years ahead of Adu. He's now played in 2 World Cups and is starting for a 2nd round team this weekend.

Word. Adu was THAT good man. He should be our star player in america but **** happens.

You dense? He had options OVERSEAS! He could have been groomed under the best development academies in the world yet he ends up at DC United, where he doesn't even get quality 1st team minutes, on top of dealing with a coach who was turned off by the idea of Adu being a prodigy.

Look at Gio Dos Santos. He and Freddy were on the same exact career path yet he took the Euro option and is light years ahead of Adu. He's now played in 2 World Cups and is starting for a 2nd round team this weekend.

Bro you don't get it. I'm saying its not that simple. It's easy to call his mom a dumb thot when you don't even attempt to understand the situation she was in.

1. Kids under the age of 18 who don't hold European citizenship can't just freely move across the world and join an academy. Per FIFA rules his mother would have had to accompany him. I'm not going to get into it but from a FIFA rules and regulations standpoint that part isn't that simple either. Yea Dos Santos made the move but he had two parents, one of whom was a former professional, neither of whom were immigrants trying to make it in a new country.

2. When he first started getting attention from clubs overseas he wasn't a U.S. Citizen. Him and his mom were green card holders on their way towards citizenship, during that process you have to remain in the country for the majority of the year. Leaving for Europe at the time he signed for D.C. United would have disqualified him, his mom, and his younger brother from gaining U.S. Citizenship through their status as green card holders. I don't know if you know any African immigrants but if you do, go ask their parents which one is the golden ticket, U.S. citizenship or the possibility of a career as a professional soccer player.

Last edited:
Ice you do know Malta played at a high collegiate level? :lol: his opinion holds weight and I'm sure he was pretty aware on how adu was handled since he was heavy in soccer

Last edited:
Certainly not because he played in college. :lol:

He's not the only one who's played at a high level either. [emoji]128521[/emoji]

Certainly not because he played in college. :lol:

He's not the only one who's played at a high level either. [emoji]128521[/emoji]

I also played for our u-18's and u-20's and I'm still very tied into the US soccer scene.

I understand the dynamics of the situation with the parental aspect but trust me, they were willing to try and make it work through a US youth soccer rep posing as his legal guardian. They even ran the idea by his Potomac Cougars coach to see if he or anyone in the program would be open. At the end of the day it was his mom's decision NOT to go through with it.

On top of choosing the MLS, he also went to the WORST possible situation for him, playing under Nowak. He would have been better off at Bradenton for another year or two, maturing a bit more while also playing with kids his age, then heading overseas when his mom was more open to the idea.

Part of his growth stunt was he was forced into a senior professional/adult life at the age of 14 and didn't have the capacity to handle that. Dude had money he couldn't handle, fame he couldn't handle, jealousy and envy from others he couldn't handle, and it created a primadonna who wasn't entirely focused on developing and earning success. At an academy he would have been brought along appropriately. Imagine him under Alex Ferguson's guidance and grooming?

Oh we're on the same page I think most would agree with the majority of what you posted about how he was mishandled, although it was completely uncharted territory in a U.S. Soccer landscape ten times more dysfunctional with a thousand times less direction than the one we're in today. I was saying the decisions his mom made were not easy ones and reducing the situation to his mom being a dumb thot is wrong.

I work directly in youth development, when a young player is presented with the opportunity to go to Europe the decision making process is ALWAYS incredibly complicated, for a single parent or an immigrant family, even more so.

Last edited:
So question?

Obviously we can go only off what we saw, but how good was he?

What was his ceiling?

It's interesting this discussion and the behind the scenes aspect.
i remember this kid back in the day, his ceiling probably kinda like robinho

So question?

Obviously we can go only off what we saw, but how good was he?

What was his ceiling?

It's interesting this discussion and the behind the scenes aspect.

As I mentioned a couple of years ago in this thread, in his early 20's he would have been absolutely perfect as a 12th man, coming off the bench in the 65th minute and providing an offensive spark because of his individual play.

He wasn't yet at the level to be a link man between the midfield and forwards, similar to Messi, but he was the most creative and straight line attacker we had, even more so than Clint Dempsey. You put him in against tired legs and just have him run at defenders and try to create and it would have paid dividends for us. We saw this in the 2011 Gold Cup where he was absolutely dangerous in the last 2 games but for some reason he was never included in the senior side after that.

Could he have been a Messi? Don't think he has the poise, strength, and overall talent but I do think he could have played the same facilitator role that messi does.

Back
Top Bottom