What makes someone an alcoholic?

well put it like this, i drink by myself. i don't get trashed by myself though. i just relax and have a few drinks at night or whatever. i am far from analcoholic. if you're not impacting your health or relationships or anything like that you're fine. nothin wrong with liking to have a few drinks,i'm sure as hell not gonna call my boys up so i can feel ok about sipping a brew or two.

Since we're talking about addiction here, I'm back to smoking after a 5 year "quit-period". I've been healthy those 5 years.

Right now, my throat and lungs hurt.

I'm on my 2nd pack in a 1 week period
sick.gif

I'm a gym head too and I've been testing my cardio since I went back...so far nothing's changed but I should feel the effects soon
tired.gif

Originally Posted by villansfinest

kind of curious about this...
isn't alcoholics annonymous full of alcoholics? but they don't drink anymore? so you can be an alcoholic without drinking?

it feels more like a label to me.

don't give me any quantifiable numbers either. girl drinking 4 beers in 1 night is not the same as my 6'8" 275 knocking back 4.
ahhh, good question, tough answer to explain to someone...so alcoholism/addiction is an illness and it needs to be treated. addicts self medicatethe illness with drugs or alcohol, so when the substance is gone the illness remains and still needs treatment, AA offers one form of treatment for alcoholism.

i think it can be all answered with one question. Has your drinking caused you problems and you continued to drink anyway?
I dont count a headache as a problem. Problems meaning arrests, family problems, losing your job, cant pay bills.

Originally Posted by Hen Lin 32

are you dependent?
thats the only question!!!!

I use to be by definition an alcoholic, I would go out on monday night for football and have a few drinks, then I would go out Friday night with my girl andhave a few drinks with dinner, then have some beers saturday while watching college football, then do the same for pro football....I didnt consider myself analcoholic....I was not in need of alcohol..now I have a house and barely drink at all, but then again football season has not started... according to thedictionary definition I was also a binge drinker...

Originally Posted by yep617

isn't alcoholics annonymous full of alcoholics? but they don't drink anymore? so you can be an alcoholic without drinking?

don't give me any quantifiable numbers either. girl drinking 4 beers in 1 night is not the same as my 6'8" 275 knocking back 4.
ahhh, good question, tough answer to explain to someone...so alcoholism/addiction is an illness and it needs to be treated. addicts self medicate the illness with drugs or alcohol, so when the substance is gone the illness remains and still needs treatment, AA offers one form of treatment for alcoholism.

so in response to thread topic... alcoholic's are people who are genetically predisposed to addiction with reference to alcohol? one can be alcoholicwithout ever having had a drink ever?

i drink plenty. i enjoy it. i know my limits.

Originally Posted by yep617

ahhh, good question, tough answer to explain to someone...so alcoholism/addiction is an illness and it needs to be treated. addicts self medicate the illness with drugs or alcohol, so when the substance is gone the illness remains and still needs treatment, AA offers one form of treatment for alcoholism.

so in response to thread topic... alcoholic's are people who are genetically predisposed to addiction with reference to alcohol? one can be alcoholic without ever having had a drink ever?

i drink plenty. i enjoy it. i know my limits.
Being predisposed to it and actually being one is completely different. There are lots of people who know they are predisposed and don't drinkbecause they know it will be harmful. But predisposition doesn't apply to the drug of choice, it applies more to the potential of being an addict. It'scommon (and this addressed by Dr. Drew on Celeb Rehab, and such) that many addicts will trade one addiction for another, and consider themselves cured, orhaving avoided the supposed predisposed condition. There are people who won't drink, but will smoke weed twice a day, and then parade around as ifthey've beaten some addiction that's been in their family's history. Guess what, you're an addict, because you are predisposed to being anaddict, above being an alcoholic.

so...
alcoholics have to be addicted? using the definitions of addiction posted above?

of the people that i know that drink a lot, i consider the alcoholics to be the ones that are unwilling/unable to change or better themselves.

Back
Top Bottom