What Should We Do? (Advice Thread)

Whatsup NT? In a bit of a pickle right now and I'm not sure what my friends and I should do. So at the beginning of the year and old friend called me out and asked me to help him setup a charity concert. I liked the idea, and I felt like I could trust him cause I'm friends with his girl. Fastforward to booking the venue, something happened to his grandma that day (allegedly), so instead of him going, he sent his girl and asked me to go. I was down for helping so I went. The manager of the place was really cool, and even though none of us had really ever planned any events outside of highschool things, he agreed to let us have the venue with no down payment since it was for charity. He stressed to us though to make sure that we could handle it. I told my friend that we probably shouldn't because there's a high chance it won't go through since we lacked the experience, but he kept reassuring me that it was alright. Fastforward to today, a month before our event was supposed to be, and nothing's been done. He's supposed to be spear heading this, but he's been putting it off and procrastinating. So we ended up emailing the place and cancelling, just this week... which is pretty damn late. The guys at the venue are extremely disappointed in us (understandably so), and expect reimbursement for the evening, I believe around $1000.

Here's the thing: 1) We didn't actually sign any contracts. 2) The guy that was supposed to be spearheading the project doesn't want to pay up. 3) Since on the day we booked the venue, he was absent, it's under his ex girl's name, as well as mine. $1000 is quite a lot... do you think we should pay?

Cliifnotes!
-Friend wanted to do charity concert.
-I agreed to help.
-His ex-girl and I went to book venue cause his grandma was ill... so it's under our names.
-He hasn't followed through with it, so we had to cancel.
-Venue wants money now.
-He doesn't want to pay up, we didnt sign a contract.
-What should we do?

Whatsup NT? In a bit of a pickle right now and I'm not sure what my friends and I should do. So at the beginning of the year and old friend called me out and asked me to help him setup a charity concert. I liked the idea, and I felt like I could trust him cause I'm friends with his girl. Fastforward to booking the venue, something happened to his grandma that day (allegedly), so instead of him going, he sent his girl and asked me to go. I was down for helping so I went. The manager of the place was really cool, and even though none of us had really ever planned any events outside of highschool things, he agreed to let us have the venue with no down payment since it was for charity. He stressed to us though to make sure that we could handle it. I told my friend that we probably shouldn't because there's a high chance it won't go through since we lacked the experience, but he kept reassuring me that it was alright. Fastforward to today, a month before our event was supposed to be, and nothing's been done. He's supposed to be spear heading this, but he's been putting it off and procrastinating. So we ended up emailing the place and cancelling, just this week... which is pretty damn late. The guys at the venue are extremely disappointed in us (understandably so), and expect reimbursement for the evening, I believe around $1000.

Here's the thing: 1) We didn't actually sign any contracts. 2) The guy that was supposed to be spearheading the project doesn't want to pay up. 3) Since on the day we booked the venue, he was absent, it's under his ex girl's name, as well as mine. $1000 is quite a lot... do you think we should pay?

Cliifnotes!
-Friend wanted to do charity concert.
-I agreed to help.
-His ex-girl and I went to book venue cause his grandma was ill... so it's under our names.
-He hasn't followed through with it, so we had to cancel.
-Venue wants money now.
-He doesn't want to pay up, we didnt sign a contract.
-What should we do?

How much would it have cost you to rent the venue had you gone through with the event?

How much would it have cost you to rent the venue had you gone through with the event?

check your local laws on verbal contracts/oral agreements. There is a difference between the two and some areas do enforce verbal/oral as they would written contracts/agreements.

check your local laws on verbal contracts/oral agreements. There is a difference between the two and some areas do enforce verbal/oral as they would written contracts/agreements.

Alright, so from my understanding of it (since I wasn't exactly the main person), since it was a charity event, they agreed to waive any like rental fees, and they were just going to take the money that the bar made for the night.

Alright, so from my understanding of it (since I wasn't exactly the main person), since it was a charity event, they agreed to waive any like rental fees, and they were just going to take the money that the bar made for the night.

Back
Top Bottom