What the hell AMC?

I always thought AMC was on the come up with probably the strongest roster of shows on TV but now it looks like things are starting to fall apart.

For those that don't know: AMC is currently holding up negotiations for the fifth and final season of Breaking Bad, they're demanding @#+@ like shortening it from 13 episodes to 6 and cutting budgets. Speaking of budgets, they completely slashed the budget of Walking Dead season 2 and just fired show creator Frank Darabont a couple of weeks ago.

Most are saying Mad Men negotiations are at fault but I don't blame them, AMC was trying to lowball them during negotiations too. This network needs to seriously get their %#%$ together.
30t6p3b.gif

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Mad Men Cripples Walking Dead, Breaking Bad[/h1]
Published by Jeff Leins on August 12, 2011

mad-men.jpg
AMC continues to make headlines as the fallout from expensive “Mad Men

Damn that sucks! Really enjoyed Walking Dead's first season. I hope this season doesn't disappoint.

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Where in the article are you seeing the 13 to 6 episodes demand?

It wasn't in the article i posted but if you look up news on the Breaking Bad negotiations, you'll see it being reported.

Here's a quick one i found:

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Breaking Bad Might Leave AMC Over Season 5 Negotiations[/h1]
eaebe65c66bf41c95c5c2e34e98e80d7

[table][tr][td]
Written By Sam McPherson
[/td][/tr][tr][td]August 1st, 2011 - (12 days ago)[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Follow Me
[/td][td]
Email Me
[/td][/tr][/table]

42Share

Things are as fraught for Breaking Bad in the real world as they are on the show. Negotiations between Sony and AMC regarding a fifth season of the series have turned tense; Sony has reportedly "sent feelers to at least three other cable networks," according to The Los Angeles Times

The series, which is currently airing its fourth season on AMC, was reportedly asked to trim its episode count down to six or eight episodes -- around half of the thirteen episodes its fourth season is comprised of.

Why the cuts? Well, Matthew Weiner's tough negotiations with the network (as well as the salary increases of Mad Men's stars) probably cost the network quite a bit, causing it to make cuts in other areas. The Walking Dead is reportedly undergoing budget cuts ($250,000 is being sliced from the budget of each episode for the show's thirteen-episode second season, for instance). It doesn't really make a lot of sense; Mad Men's fourth season, which aired last year, only performed a little better than Breaking Bad's currently airing fourth season is doing, while The Walking Dead has almost doubled the viewership of both as AMC's highest performing original drama.

If Breaking Bad does indeed leave AMC for less financially restrictive pastures, where would you like to see it go? I think HBO would be the obvious choice for a location to continue the series, but HBO's fellow pay cable networks Showtime and Starz might be havens for the show without creatively or financially restricting it.

I'm with Sony on this one; Breaking Bad is a good enough show to merit a full-length fifth season (though if it turns out to be the show's last, as rumored, I am kind of attracted to the symmetry of ending it with a seven-episode season, just like the first). Hopefully AMC and Sony can figure out a way to make it work.

The fourth episode of Breaking Bad's fourth season, "Bullet Points," will air Sunday, August 7, on AMC.

Yeah AMC seems to be dropping the ball... Considering how great they've been with new shows in the past, things recently haven't been too great for them with these negotiations and deals.

I care about none of those shows except Mad Men (greatest TV show of all time) As long as that comes back, I can live happy.

Originally Posted by Rico x Hood

I care about none of those shows except Mad Men (greatest TV show of all time) As long as that comes back, I can live happy.

you know nothing

Originally Posted by three2three

you know nothing
Not that The Walking Dead and Breaking Bad are bad shows, I agree with Rico x Hood 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Mags on fire

I thought this was about AMC theaters
whoops

So why did you post? Hit the back button next time.

I love all 3 shows, but only having 6 episodes for season 5 and it being the last? Would not do Breaking Bad Justice. I thought Breaking Bad was going to go to 6 seasons?

When watching Mad Men I always think about the budget. Everything is so perfect with the 60's theme.

Originally Posted by reddmann s2

you know nothing
Not that The Walking Dead and Breaking Bad are bad shows, I agree with Rico x Hood 
pimp.gif
no show mentioned tops the wire gentlemen.  good night.

Should just take themselves over to HBO. A network that knows how to handle their show properly and also gives them creative freedom with plot storyline and of course content. 
Game of Thrones 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

might as well make season 4 of breaking bad 8 eps, these first 4 eps have been mediocre as @!%!

enough of this skyler carwash %@@%
mad.gif

you know nothing
pimp.gif

One of my fav shows of all time but no way is Mad Men better than The Wire imo. Even the Sopranos was but I still love this show.

Of course AMC figures out a way to ruin the things that made their channel relevant
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by Rolaholic

you know nothing
pimp.gif

One of my fav shows of all time but no way is Mad Men better than The Wire imo. Even the Sopranos was but I still love this show.
I'm probably gonna open the flood gates of
eek.gif
eek.gif
but I've never seen The Wire or The Sopranos, so I can't even compare the three shows. Might be one I hold Mad Men in such high regard.

Don't care about Walking Dead. Show doesn't make you care about any of the characters and has some of the most cliche or corny situations ever. Cholo nurses? Come on...

I only watch Breaking Bad as far as shows on AMC so having them cut the final season short sucks. I would have loved for that show to go on like 3 or 4 more seasons.

Originally Posted by Mcflyy

I only watch Breaking Bad as far as shows on AMC so having them cut the final season short sucks. I would have loved for that show to go on like 3 or 4 more seasons.
You can only drag out a show for so long, especially one with an anti-hero like Walt. Just look at what happened to Weeds
853157e596ab25e1e6f076e431e417ee8471782.gif

It's a good thing they have an end in sight...it will improve the scope of the story. Sucks that AMC is playing all these shows like that though.

I agree with not dragging on a show. But if i remember right that last season of madmen wasn't that great.
Draper getting married just like that? mid life crisis? Still like breaking bad more

Back
Top Bottom