What the? Laptop turns on, but nothing appears on screen? HELP NT!

My Sony Vaio turns on, but the screen is just blank. The only light on is the battery light. What's the deal?

Originally Posted by DipsetGeneral

My Sony Vaio turns on, but the screen is just blank. The only light on is the battery light. What's the deal?
use the display adapter an hook up to an external display

Did it go through the starting screens? Windows screens and all?

If it didn't, it could be your motherboard or harddrive.

If it did... I'm not sure.

Ever turn the brightness down? I flip up my macbook a lot and its just a black screen so I just hit the brightness button a few times and it just turns out I lowered the brightness all the way down before I slept.

Happened to my Vaio a few years back, but the problem was the bulb burnt out. So you have to get the bulb replaced...at least that's what happened to mine.

Originally Posted by iamsaikotic

Did it go through the starting screens? Windows screens and all?

If it didn't, it could be your motherboard or harddrive.

If it did... I'm not sure.
Nahhh it didn't go through the starting screens. Just turns on, and it's blank. The thing is this has happened a couple times before, and has worked a few minutes later after I took the battery out and put it back in.

Originally Posted by sladewilson

use the display adapter an hook up to an external display
Where is the display adapter?

YESSSSS!!!!! MY LAPTOP WORKS!!!! Just turned it on, and it worked. But it's sitting here at the "Starting Windows" screen. 

(Windows Vista btw).

its your motherboard, your labtop doesnt have much time left. Before my labtop died out on me, i was able to make the screen show by plugging it in with the charger then turning it on.

This happened to me once but it wouldnt turn off. I held the power button down for super long and it finally turned off then worked again

(Windows Vista btw).

sick.gif

YES!!!!!!! "System Restore" worked! I'm back on. Any suggestions? Disk repair? virus scanning?

You should probably back up anything important.  I don't think it would be a virus, but you can do a virus check.  There could be a problem with the screen or a hardware problem.  The connection for a monitor should be on one of the sides, it looks similar to the VGA one.  If the screen goes out again then you can connect a monitor to your laptop, if it works then it's the screen, if not then it's a hardward problem...

VGA-Port-Monitor.jpg

Originally Posted by Degenerate423

YES!!!!!!! "System Restore" worked! I'm back on. Any suggestions? Disk repair? virus scanning?

You should probably back up anything important.  I don't think it would be a virus, but you can do a virus check.  There could be a problem with the screen or a hardware problem.  The connection for a monitor should be on one of the sides, it looks similar to the VGA one.  If the screen goes out again then you can connect a monitor to your laptop, if it works then it's the screen, if not then it's a hardward problem...

VGA-Port-Monitor.jpg
Thanks man.

Have you tried moving the screen back and forth? That used to happen to my VAIO too. Then I upgraded to a MAC.

This happened to my laptop but it's no Sony Vaio. What i did was rage and give the back of the screen some good smacks until the display came back.
laugh.gif

worked for some time until it didnt turn on at all. So i just got it hooked up to an external display

That happened to my old laptop.

It would turn on for maybe two minutes then the screen would go blank.

If I closed the lid and opened it back up then it would do it over again.

Had something to do with wiring. I can't really remember.

OP, My sister has a Sony Vaio does that as well,

Usually I just hold the power button for a few seconds wait for it to go completely off, then turn it on again.

Goes through the restart process and works again.

Don't know if this is bad for the computer though.
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

I use a Mac most of the time BTW
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom