What was your starting salary after college?

Its an internship not a contracting job. @ai3mac1 Don't negotiate the salary if you don't have any professional experience to back it up. Alot of internships are a set salary, based off of the companies budget. I'd say take it, remember you have to start somewhere. Goodluck

Same things apply. Contractor and Intern positions are very similar in IT. Hell, interns are just underpaid contractors. :lol:

$46,500 in CA back in 2005.. went up to $56,500 after 3 years. Management job, so it was salary, which sucked.

After a couple years I realized how much management wasn't for me.. so I did some self study and went into the IT field. Best decision I ever made.

45? You in Florida?

NY/Cali tax & audit are usually in the high 50s/low 60s, at worst, in year 1.

Right. Markets in public accounting in general play a factor.

Just look at Robert Half's annual comp book about it, too.

$45-50k is avg starting salary of larger firms (non-big 4) in most metro markets.

Same things apply. Contractor and Intern positions are very similar in IT. Hell, interns are just underpaid contractors.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 I gotta agree with you im interning now, going on 3 years now. You feel like that when you do a bunch of work, or the work that nobody wants to do.

Threads like this , you just have to take it with a grain of salt because half the dudes in here are lying .

:lol: this

And the fact that geographic location does play a role.

For example, I work at a Big 4 and my starting salary of $45K is peanuts compared to someone starting in NYC probably making $55K+, its all relative to the cost of living in the area though.

Damn... the salt.

The hell would we be lying for?

Damn... the salt.

The hell would we be lying for?
This is something I don't get. I don't put it past anyone to exagerrate the truth on the interwebz in general but threads like these are to inform/help people.

There are plenty of other threads on here that make more sense for people to front. Staring salary out of college during these times? :lol: Come on son. The highest salary I heard from a friend straight out was 80k doing accounting and I knew the work she put in to school, internships, etc. Pretty sure other NTers are capable of that. I wasn't even cracking 30k straight out and that was because I didn't network or do what I needed in the classroom.

45? You in Florida?

NY/Cali tax & audit are usually in the high 50s/low 60s, at worst, in year 1.

Man I wish, I'm in Portland though.

And I don't think people are openly lying about their salary, It doesn't effect me either way so I don't care, however I do think it would be naive not to take the #'s without a grain of salt.

Last edited:
No one is getting 80k for accounting straight out of college. No one.

Unless you've seen their paystubs, your friend is lying to you.

only way I can think is a masters in accountancy...

Or some type of consulting and being the accounting arm of the group

She got a degree in Accounting. Don't remember what the actual job was. Believe it or not, its up to you. The point was that if you take care of business in school it will payoff.

Yeah that's lies. A lot of kids with their first jobs buy a nice whip and want to maintain that image so they lie about their salary, especially if it should a financially responsible one like accounting. This false hope only hurts future grads.

$80k starting out is possible, but for accounting?

First year investment banking analysts at major banks get $70k base + $5-10k signing bonus.

only way I can think is a masters in accountancy...

Or some type of consulting and being the accounting arm of the group

Yeah. That's the only way I see it as well. You need to be head honcho of whatever accounting department exists in your company.

80k is HUGE for an accountant. I don't even think self-employed CPAs make that much unless they are well-established, and that's after many years of business.

Last edited:
:lol: Ok guys. If it's that unfathomable then take it with a grain of salt and keep it moving. Haven't talked to the girl in years (actually an ex of a friend), don't have any paystubs or whatever. But I don't think its giving any undergrads on here "false hope" by saying a company would undoubtedly place a higher value on a candidate with a 4.0 GPA, studied abroad, had multiple internships, and served as president for one of the larger organizations of the school. Far from your average undergrad, but anyone is capable of putting in that kind of work during undergrad and networking.

:lol: Ok guys. If it's that unfathomable then take it with a grain of salt and keep it moving. Haven't talked to the girl in years (actually an ex of a friend), don't have any paystubs or whatever. But I don't think its giving any undergrads on here "false hope" by saying a company would undoubtedly place a higher value on a candidate with a 4.0 GPA, studied abroad, had multiple internships, and served as president for one of the larger organizations of the school. Far from your average undergrad, but anyone is capable of putting in that kind of work during undergrad and networking.

Well, I'm not treating it that serious. I hear what you're saying though. Your reasons are just.

You can see 80-90k+ starting with a bachelor's.

That's a BS in Petroleum Engineering, though.
You can start at 80K with a BS in Comp Sci , Comp Engineering , Mech E , and  EE it all depends on how hard the person worked in undergrad. Just because you get a certain degree it doesn't guarantee you anything its all about how you apply yourself, network, and obtain internships. I know many people who have graduated college (engineering majors) with starting salaries between 65K-80K , and I also know people with those exact same majors who didn't get a job straight out of college. Took them months to obtain a job and their starting salary was in the 45K-60K range.

You really can't assume that someones salary is a lie, because you didn't get it or its above the average. You really never know, there are so many factors that go into starting salary.
Pretty much sums up what I was saying...

Last edited:
You're mentioning the obvious, though.

And I never said I didn't believe anybody on here. I was just sharing some knowledge.
Wasn't referring to you about not believing someone's salary.I'm also not mentioning the obvious their are alot of people that still believe GPA > networking & internships when it comes to obtaining good jobs/salaries. That is quite obvious in this thread.
Man that CS figure looks so promising, by the work I'm going through to achieve it is
sick.gif
Lol it sucks all the way through man, but it will be worth it.

Fair enough. Seemed like shots were firing while I was sleeping.

But it's pretty obvious that starting salaries can be significantly higher based on many factors. An impressive resume and having "pull" in a specific organization being at the top of the list.

There's a guy who got his MBA and made 375k straight out of school.
Nah that was to those other people saying that the girls salary was impossible. I was just adding on to majors that can land you a high starting salary. Wow thats crazy do you know his position, or his background (internships, gpa, etc?

His base salary is 375k, but that doesn't even include his signing bonus or end of the year bonus. My man is probably making at least half a milli

:lol: 80k isn't a lot for an entry-level accountant who only have their bachelor degree? i don't care how many internships they had in college

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom