What was your starting salary after college?

Yeah I'm sure. My firm was acquired so I'm coming over to KPMG.

I know Pwc a little both SF and SJ

First internship after college: $20/hr
First full-time gig: Between 50-60K
Mech. engineering major

When it comes to your very first job after college, don't be too picky and just find a good place where you can learn and grow. It's very common for people to switch jobs every couple years nowadays, sometimes even more than that. So, I'd say just find a landing spot, grow, and find out what you want to do. I work at a very small business so I don't have a glamorous engineering salary, but I have been able to get the opportunities to grow and develop, which has helped me figure out that I want to do business school and pursue an MBA.
I guess my main point in all this is just don't be disappointed that you can't land that brand-name job after graduating. Just get your feet wet and things will work out.

Last edited:
Registered nurse. Started at 48K/year. With shift differential and overtime, I could make 90K+, but last year I made 65K without really putting in too much OT.
Where you located?

I graduated w BSc in Kinesiology & Health Sci in '11 and now working for an insurance company in Toronto at one of the big Canadian banks, but pay isn't what I expected it to be. Was considering going into an RN program (2 years) vs sticking it out and hoping to move up the ladder...

Any RNs in the NYC area that can give insight on starting salary expectations?

yall dudes are doing well. I wish i was more proactive back in college, now im paying the price but i'm still gonna try

40 K, benefits
BS in Accounting.
told 3 days before graduating.

experience: two work-study on campus jobs, internships for minor league and professional sports teams, sampler at costco
involved on campus
habitat for humanity

I've been applying to jobs since October, and have had 14 phone/ in person interviews. 1 Job offer after all those interviews.
When I got the call back, I have a work/rejections folder count in my email at 51 rejections.

It was tough getting through the year, but you just gotta keep on applying.
You can't wait for a "my uncle's best friend's brother is president of this company" so he'll hook a brotha up.

But you just gotta be persistent, and go onto the next one.
really be confident on your skill set, and DO YOUR research on the company.
it's not only selling that you can work at a company, but also work with the people and culture within the company.
i didn't realize that until the latter half of the interview process which was my flaw.

and it's a tough market out there. so don't feel like you're the only one.
One of good friends BS in Math tried to go the actuary route with no luck. He was working at his dad's office from June grad 2012 and found a position in the beginning 2014.
He's doing Basketball Analytics- basically intense +/- stats with graphs and ish.

being a certified actuary is something else though

you have to pass so many professional exams :x

Last edited:
Does anyone ever try to LinkedIn search people they sell/buy shoes from?
I've never found a professional that I've dealt with. I hope someday to sell to or buy from someone with a cool job that I can chat with.

For me, I work in a relatively inexpensive place to live and make a decent amount.
I busted my butt in college. Had 2 internships and a co-op. High 3.9's GPA and had 5 offers in November even though I graduated the next May.

I work in a high demand field: Pick a good major, work hard and be willing to do anything for your job.
Too many people I know aren't willing to put in extra hours and go the extra mile. Too many people in our generation think that 8-4:30 is the norm.

It doesn't matter what your starting salary is, if you work hard, you'll get to the $.

If anyone ever needs someone to look at a resume or give advice on career path, I'm always willing to help out.
I also do Pro bono consulting for small businesses.

Those are huge step increases
laugh.gif
Well, I work for the same organization just in a different capacity. I should've been more specific.

Pre academy $30K

During academy $42K

Post academy $55K

@ShimmyHendrix congrats to you man. Best post in here in my opinion. With persistence you will land a job before graduation. People out here applying to only 5-10 jobs a week before graduation complaining about not landing a job.
Your gonna be good to go you know what you have to do to see 6 figures go get it man
pimp.gif
Preciate the love mane! Just tryna share my experience to help others.

So what POST certified are you? And where are you located if you don't mind me asking?
Mass. Its not called POST here. Its called MPTC certified.

I had a buddy that moved down here to Vegas from Boston. He tested for PD here, but got disqualified (disclosed intel)

But he was telling me he wanted to move back to Boston anyway, because they had him lined up in the mix. (State Trooper)

I had a buddy that moved down here to Vegas from Boston. He tested for PD here, but got disqualified (disclosed intel)

But he was telling me he wanted to move back to Boston anyway, because they had him lined up in the mix. (State Trooper)

Big cities are competitive. And forget state police, there's 18000+ people competing for 100 jobs. In my town, 600+ people for maybe 20 jobs.

trust me its worth it. fresh out i got an offer that was close to 100k. i took it but ended up getting rejected cause im a felon 
frown.gif
Wow, this is with a BS? Do you mind sharing what company or at least industry?
I got a BS in software engineering in silicon valley. The offer was for a web developer. But I'm not trippen since I just landed one today. Not 100k, but I got s ******** of other benefits and fast raises 
pimp.gif

Bump. 

I've been looking into working in the government. I graduate in December with a degree in Business with a concentration in marketing and I live in the DMV area. I look into usajob.gov and see so many positions for recent grads but, the requirements are a degree so I'm always sol. Gonna apply for the trainee positions now I guess.

Within the next 3-4 years I want to move out to California tbh and have some exp in web design

BA in Media Studies (Communications)
starting salary of $30k at an ad agency; full benefits, 401k, other perks
been here 8 yrs now

BA in Media Studies (Communications)

starting salary of $30k at an ad agency; full benefits, 401k, other perks

been here 8 yrs now
How did you get into an ad agency? Did you have previous exp?

no previous experience. I am not on the creative side, I purchase national air time for several clients. all you need is a college degree for entry level positions (non-creative).

no previous experience. I am not on the creative side, I purchase national air time for several clients. all you need is a college degree for entry level positions (non-creative).
Hmmm I'm just trying to get into the industry by anyway. It sucks that majority of the jobs are in NYC/Cali. I live close to DC and its not that much stuff for marketing here. If I had the $$$$ to move to a different state I would 
mean.gif

@Rolyat  I am getting my Marketing degree at the end of the year also. Do you have a concentration to go along with your marketing degree? If not I would say look into Sales or Supply Chain.

@Rolyat  I am getting my Marketing degree at the end of the year also. Do you have a concentration to go along with your marketing degree? If not I would say look into Sales or Supply Chain.
Lol I'm Business Admin with a concentration of Marketing. So I've taken the accountings, finance, quantitative meth., business statistics classes as well as my concentration courses such as advertising, marketing strategy, marketing research. I'm looking into really any kind of business related job as I start out. The place I work at now I can probably land a sales position but idk if I want to work there

Lol I'm Business Admin with a concentration of Marketing. So I've taken the accountings, finance, quantitative meth., business statistics classes as well as my concentration courses such as advertising, marketing strategy, marketing research. I'm looking into really any kind of business related job as I start out. The place I work at now I can probably land a sales position but idk if I want to work there
I feel that

Back
Top Bottom