What would make riots in America?

Originally Posted by scshift

Originally Posted by KidJoke

Originally Posted by scshift

It's not that particular events are stopping people from rioting, it's that no one has the boldness or courage to stand out unless they have a crowd behind them. And when a bunch of people think this way, no one steps up.
Since when is courage involved in a riot?

It's not. Courage is required to attempt to start a riot.

Which is the point, no one has the balls to start a riot cause they know they'll be arrested in a heartbeat. But give them the support of numbers and they'll do some dumb !+!!.
I mean sure there is some courage to start one but what is so courageous about demolishing your city for no other reason then to just do it.

I don't know, but when we do I'm headed to straight to New York. I'm fittin' to loot the whole Supreme. Going have like erry color fitted. Can't eeeem do that online since they only let you have one of each style. Swag going be too dumb outchea.

I think one way a riot can start in America is with people who just wanna bash and loot stuff, then other random heads join in to do so.

For a major protest, it'd take some organization and a clear and understandable incentive to take to the streets about it.

Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman

People in America don't care about the Government and what those in charge are doing 
laugh.gif
 From the last few years, you can clearly see that Americans give up their rights across the board and pay the bonuses of the same guys sticking it to them 
glasses.gif

so true

Originally Posted by KidJoke

I mean sure there is some courage to start one but what is so courageous about demolishing your city for no other reason then to just do it.

I'm agreeing with you
laugh.gif

I'm saying that it takes courage to start a riot but it takes nothing to join one. Of course, either way it's wasteful and stupid.

if no one had cell phone or internet access...
i've seen anger that could start a revolution from people going without for short periods

*cues three 6 lets start a riot*

real talk i've always wanted to be part of a riot..
for a couple of hours then go home like nothing happened..

Originally Posted by moneymike88

Originally Posted by kickstart

Originally Posted by Brolic Scholar

Black Friday at Wal-Mart, the Lakers winning the chip... you know important stuff like that.

Why are some of you so obsessed with civil unrest? You KNOW you're not about that life. What, you feel safe behind the computer with that foolishness?
grin.gif
And what are you gonna riot for exactly? And what after?
Came in here to ask the same thing. What exactly in your life are you unhappy with OP?
you devils advocate dudes are always coming out of nowhere...i guess i should just try to expect it

Devil's advocate?

How so? Because I don't believe in violence without a purpose or action without a plan? Riot... and then what? Let the group with the most arms run #*%@ after the disaster? Oh wait, you think that after revolutions things become peaceful and harmonious? Nah, G. That's when the real tyrants come out to play. They wait for the dummies to get excited and throw their way of living out of the window and then they come in with a "better" way that usually ends up with them enforcing that better way with armed goons.

Do you know what a Eutopia is? It's one man's dream and everyone else's nightmare. There is no perfect world or system. It's a pipe dream. But instead of dudes finding constructive ways to challenge and change the status quo, they jump to the conclusion that a fantastic riot is the answer to all of our problems.

Since you're too short sighted to see the flaws in your idea, why not examine what riots have gotten people in the past and compare that to what real revolution, changing the way people think (MLK/Malcolm X), has done for people in the past. Look at the complex chess game that MLK and Malcolm played with the psyche of their oppressors. They actually played good cop/bad cop with the system and not only scared stupid people into accepting a softer form of change, they inspired intelligent people to improve a broken and injust system.

Real revolution comes when you get people to think not march like zombies in the street, destroying things with no rhyme or reason.

But I'm the devil's advocate? Me? The one trying to get people to think and be rational? Nah my dude. That's you. The one who just wants chaos for the sake of your amusement.

Lame.

Originally Posted by tkthafm

Riot for what ?

Obama is president everything will be fine.
pimp.gif
Yeah our economy is perfect..... And he is doing a lot to help 
roll.gif

Originally Posted by moneymike88

Originally Posted by kickstart

Came in here to ask the same thing. What exactly in your life are you unhappy with OP?
you devils advocate dudes are always coming out of nowhere...i guess i should just try to expect it

Devil's advocate?

How so? Because I don't believe in violence without a purpose or action without a plan? Riot... and then what? Let the group with the most arms run #*%@ after the disaster? Oh wait, you think that after revolutions things become peaceful and harmonious? Nah, G. That's when the real tyrants come out to play. They wait for the dummies to get excited and throw their way of living out of the window and then they come in with a "better" way that usually ends up with them enforcing that better way with armed goons.

Do you know what a Eutopia is? It's one man's dream and everyone else's nightmare. There is no perfect world or system. It's a pipe dream. But instead of dudes finding constructive ways to challenge and change the status quo, they jump to the conclusion that a fantastic riot is the answer to all of our problems.

Since you're too short sighted to see the flaws in your idea, why not examine what riots have gotten people in the past and compare that to what real revolution, changing the way people think (MLK/Malcolm X), has done for people in the past. Look at the complex chess game that MLK and Malcolm played with the psyche of their oppressors. They actually played good cop/bad cop with the system and not only scared stupid people into accepting a softer form of change, they inspired intelligent people to improve a broken and injust system.

Real revolution comes when you get people to think not march like zombies in the street, destroying things with no rhyme or reason.

But I'm the devil's advocate? Me? The one trying to get people to think and be rational? Nah my dude. That's you. The one who just wants chaos for the sake of your amusement.

Lame.

To play devil's advocate myself. The reason people riot civil unrest, your not going to get masses of random people to riot unless they are angry; angry about the way society is going. Riots are angry, riots are violent...that's why riots are an effective way to get the attention of the nation as a whole.  

Utopia is a free and equal society.

The Boston Massacre and Boston Tea party started as riots.

I do agree, a revolution of the mind will ultimately lead to the peace that we need in society, but burning a few building along the way isn't the worst thing that can happen.Business is why we are where we are as a society. The love of money has outweighed the love of people for far to long. I'm not opposed to people destroying businesses that deserve to be destroyed, wouldn't mind seeing some scorched Walmarts in the wake of a "real revolution." And before you say riots are "uncontrollable" in every riot there are stores that don't get burned down, mostly because they are black owned in black riots, but either way rioters are still people, they make their own decisions.

There would always be a "day after" this supposed riot, and what would that day be like? Would people still be willing to fight for the same justice they sought the days prior? People in this thread are treating riots as if they are the end game, but forget eventually they end, and if it was a "successful" riot then the world should be a better place. The Rodney King Riots, for example, led to a huge change in police regulations. 

Originally Posted by trak1sh

Because rioting doesn't solve anything
Bingo. And there's nothing to riot about in America. We have it pretty good here (contrary to what some idiots on this board would have you believe).

The L.A. Riots in 1992

A lot of Korean businesses were looted and destroyed. Definitely hurt race relations over there.

Originally Posted by bboy1827

No. Eutopia literally means "no place". It doesn't exist. The idea behind "Utopia", the book, is basically you can't assume that what makes one group happy makes us all happy.

At some point before the Civil War (in the USA) the south had a Utopia from the perspective of wealthy slave owners. To them things were perfect. The world, in their eyes, couldn't be better. They had control of their government, the support of their local peers, and more money than they could spend. Cotton was king. However, under them were poor whites, oppressed women and enslaved Africans who were living in hell.

Do you see the problem with the idea of a Utopia? What you consider a perfect society may not be what everyone else does and who are you to tell others what perfect is? You say that businesses should be burned, but is that ideal for people whose income and livelihood comes from those businesses?

I'm no supporter of corporations taking advantage of the system, but I know that senseless riots are not going to solve any problems. Tantrums are how children try to resolve issues not adults. Some of us need to start thinking like adults.

its too obvious to argue anymore...if your out your out if your in your in...nothing is set in stone...but a lot of $$$% is.

No. Eutopia literally means "no place". It doesn't exist. The idea behind "Utopia", the book, is basically you can't assume that what makes one group happy makes us all happy.

At some point before the Civil War (in the USA) the south had a Utopia from the perspective of wealthy slave owners. To them things were perfect. The world, in their eyes, couldn't be better. They had control of their government, the support of their local peers, and more money than they could spend. Cotton was king. However, under them were poor whites, oppressed women and enslaved Africans who were living in hell.

Do you see the problem with the idea of a Utopia? What you consider a perfect society may not be what everyone else does and who are you to tell others what perfect is? You say that businesses should be burned, but is that ideal for people whose income and livelihood comes from those businesses?

I'm no supporter of corporations taking advantage of the system, but I know that senseless riots are not going to solve any problems. Tantrums are how children try to resolve issues not adults. Some of us need to start thinking like adults.

The basis of "Utopia" ,the book, is a free and equal society that doesn't have the trappings of regular Society. Sir Thomas More wrote it as an example of what society could be, but in a cynical way claiming that it is "no place" or that people would never accept this type of communal living.  But...as you said...what I consider a perfect society or a "utopia", is a free and equal society, you may see it as a fantasy but I see it as a perfectly real possibility. I don't understand how you can have a view of a world in which it is not possible for a society to be "free and equal" I really would explain the terms "free and equal" from Egalitarian to Utilitarian to Rawlsian terms, but that is a lengthy exposition that no one would read.

And as I said before, riots have solved things, riots have sparked real social change, you refuse to acknowledge that.

What "social change" do we need so badly here in America that we'd need to riot?

Trust me, compared to other places in the world, we got it good. I think a lot of folks take their freedoms and amendment rights for granted.

If you want to riot so badly, go do it. Start YOUR revolution. What's the saying? "Don't talk about it...be about it."

We'd probably riot over anything.  All it takes is a few people to put that idea out there and start it up.
Rioting is so dumb.  It's just another display of how idiotic humans are.  It's ok to be mad about something but don't destroy other people's property and set things on fire.  You're affecting people who don't have anything to do with the situation.

If those fools try to set my property or car on fire, I might be hurling a molotov cocktail at them and watch them burn.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

What "social change" do we need so badly here in America that we'd need to riot?

Trust me, compared to other places in the world, we got it good. I think a lot of folks take their freedoms and amendment rights for granted.

If you want to riot so badly, go do it. Start YOUR revolution. What's the saying? "Don't talk about it...be about it."

I try not to compare US to other countries, there isn't a country like ours. I prefer to compare our country to what it could be, a free and equal society in which law is blind and people can actually own their own land. Are we so disenfranchised that life, liberty and the pursuit of property is but a fantasy of words written? Things to riot about, Joblessness, War in Iraq, black dudes still getting abused by police.

I swear, Americans have lost that revolutionary spirit that created the greatest country on earth. How quickly we forget that our founding fathers were treasonous villains, many of them very distrustful of all forms of Government. As far as freedoms and amendment rights, they are taken for granted by corporations who manipulate them for their own gain. As a 22 year old, not ready to lead a post-revolutionary world just yet, don't have all the ins and outs of political systems worked out.

With this post I see the complacency on this board of "young people." What I fear more than any anarchist revolution, any riot is us sitting by while our rights are being stripped; while our freedoms being usurped by the money elite. If people would read history books they would realize that we are headed for a downfall, a collapse of the system. They would realize no government is designed to last forever, so whats after America?

Here's the thing about riots and revolutions, it takes a nation of people not scared of their government, a nation of people willing to die for what they believe, but t seems people in this country don't stand for anything but safety, no matter what cost.

And please don't question my "revolutionary spirit", let's not forget this is but a message board most of you don't know me in real life, the things I've done, the things I've seen. I'm not just a name on a computer screen, real person in real life that happens to like sneakers. Don't think I  stay here my whole life, just look at my join date to post count ratio lol

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

I try not to compare US to other countries, there isn't a country like ours. I prefer to compare our country to what it could be, a free and equal society in which law is blind and people can actually own their own land. Are we so disenfranchised that life, liberty and the pursuit of property is but a fantasy of words written? Things to riot about, Joblessness, War in Iraq, black dudes still getting abused by police.

I swear, Americans have lost that revolutionary spirit that created the greatest country on earth. How quickly we forget that our founding fathers were treasonous villains, many of them very distrustful of all forms of Government. As far as freedoms and amendment rights, they are taken for granted by corporations who manipulate them for their own gain. As a 22 year old, not ready to lead a post-revolutionary world just yet, don't have all the ins and outs of political systems worked out.

With this post I see the complacency on this board of "young people." What I fear more than any anarchist revolution, any riot is us sitting by while our rights are being stripped; while our freedoms being usurped by the money elite. If people would read history books they would realize that we are headed for a downfall, a collapse of the system. They would realize no government is designed to last forever, so whats after America?

Here's the thing about riots and revolutions, it takes a nation of people not scared of their government, a nation of people willing to die for what they believe, but t seems people in this country don't stand for anything but safety, no matter what cost.

And please don't question my "revolutionary spirit", let's not forget this is but a message board most of you don't know me in real life, the things I've done, the things I've seen. I'm not just a name on a computer screen, real person in real life that happens to like sneakers. Don't think I  stay here my whole life, just look at my join date to post count ratio lol
So many good points 

Originally Posted by do work son

so because we are in a bad financial situation, we should start burning down our cities? we're soft because we haven't rioted? OP, go away.

QFT it would just cause even more harm by burning businesses and buildings. 

Back
Top Bottom