What's it like living in the suburbs?

went fromt the city to the burbs junior year in high school :smh:

white broads :evil:

other then that its kinda boring and lame. no type of culture, everyone is bland and boring

upside to it you dont have to walk around watching your back..

but city > burbs

until i have a family of my own.. :lol:

:lol: imo From Woodbridge to Laurel south/north wise and Fairfax/Bowie west/east wise I consider the DMV.
Not Columbia, Glen Burnie, Annapolis, Fredericksburg, Stafford, Manassas, Reston, Dulles etc........
(just my opinion)

Agreed.

Alot of DMV 'burbs are nothing like burbs in other places though.

Technically places like Suitland and Landover are the burbs :lol: Folk in here would be in shock if you dropped em off there and told em its the "suburbs"

I really hate my neighbor and his manicured lawn and his upkeep of landscaping.

We are nowhere near his plants, shrubs, and mowing the lawn on a consistent basis but he is basically bashing us because we don't maintain our lawn as good as him. We work buddy. :smh:

I also hate the "neighborhood watch". Not an actual neighborhood watch but my neighbors always seem to know when something is gone awry. For example, there was this really old tree and there was controversy over it if it should be cut off or let it stay up. If it was to stay up, the tree probably would've fallen down on somebody because it was so decayed. There was a town meeting over it! Either way, it was cut off but I didn't know anything about it until I bumped into my neighbor and he told me. Like I really cared if they were going to chop it down or not.

Interestingly enough its the complete opposite in NYC. NYC food is trash compared to food in the burbs of long island. Barely are there any pizzaries in the city that are legitly owned and managed by Italian Americans. Most pizza parlors in NYC are Greek or Albanian owned. In long island, every pizza spot is Italian american owned so you know you're getting authentic stuff. Bagel stores are scarce in the city let alone good. If you want a real taste of NYC cuisine come to long island.

Had no idea. No wonder I found the Chicago food >>>> NYC food.

Chicago got the Polish food spots on lock.

Bobak's store near Midway is amazing kielbasa and even though its in Burbank (right outside the city), Mabenkas (restaurant) is so damn good.

and i have yet to find anything that comes close to Bobaks in Maryland
frown.gif
 except the Kielbasa Factory in Rockville

Last edited:
Interestingly enough its the complete opposite in NYC. NYC food is trash compared to food in the burbs of long island. Barely are there any pizzaries in the city that are legitly owned and managed by Italian Americans. Most pizza parlors in NYC are Greek or Albanian owned. In long island, every pizza spot is Italian american owned so you know you're getting authentic stuff. Bagel stores are scarce in the city let alone good. If you want a real taste of NYC cuisine come to long island.

Had no idea. No wonder I found the Chicago food >>>> NYC food.

Don't let one person's opinion sway your entire decision.

For the record every establishment in NYC and Long Island has immigrants making your food in the back whether they're hispanic from Mexico or whereever or some indians.

Yeah the store front maybe itialian americans, but go and look in the back in the kitchen who's actually making and cooking the food and it's no Italians or whatever ethnicity food type being sold.

He just mentioned one type, and it's not even true, but look at the variety of you have in NYC... hell the borough of Queens would squash all other boroughs becaue it's the most diversified and has different types of food from different cultures.

Castro must have not like variety or sticks to mostly italian food, but Long Island is buttcheeks compared to NYC food and variety. Look at all of those places that get notoriety from the food network and all over and they're all mostly in the City or the boroughs. I hardly ever see anything mentioned about LI... if ever. Now, I'm not saying that LI doesn't have decent food, but it's mostly chain stores, and they do have good steakhouses though.

Then again he's doing well for himself, Castro, so I'm pretty sure he's not eating at chain restaurants and moreso eating at the top spot steakhouses and the likes.

Don't let one person's opinion sway your entire decision.
For the record every establishment in NYC and Long Island has immigrants making your food in the back whether they're hispanic from Mexico or whereever or some indians.
Yeah the store front maybe itialian americans, but go and look in the back in the kitchen who's actually making and cooking the food and it's no Italians or whatever ethnicity food type being sold.
He just mentioned one type, and it's not even true, but look at the variety of you have in NYC... hell the borough of Queens would squash all other boroughs becaue it's the most diversified and has different types of food from different cultures.
Castro must have not like variety or sticks to mostly italian food, but Long Island is buttcheeks compared to NYC food and variety. Look at all of those places that get notoriety from the food network and all over and they're all mostly in the City or the boroughs. I hardly ever see anything mentioned about LI... if ever. Now, I'm not saying that LI doesn't have decent food, but it's mostly chain stores, and they do have good steakhouses though.
Then again he's doing well for himself, Castro, so I'm pretty sure he's not eating at chain restaurants and moreso eating at the top spot steakhouses and the likes.

I get what you're saying, only I wasn't referring to the people making the food. I was referring to the authenticity of it. And quite frankly when it comes to pizza, pasta, and bagels long island takes the cake. Unfortunately In the 50's and 60's when all the Italians and jews left to the suburbs they took their pizza parlors and family recipes with them. The best pizza in the city is gramaldi's, and long island also has one.

Now when it comes to exotic and ethnic cuisine i'll give the city that. I've eaten at many exotic places and there are many things on the menu you won't find in any other places in NY. So in a way i agree with you and i should've been a bit clear.

to Clarify i think the city has better asian, dominican, french, and mexican cuisine. But when it comes to Italian cuisine, pizza, Jewish cuisine, bagels, and german cuisine, Long island takes the cake for that.

I eat a little bit of everything. I go to chain restaurants just as much as i go into mom and pop stores. I've eaten at top steakhouses and i've eaten at chain steakhouses. I frequent one just as much as the other. They're both good. I don't discriminate against chain restaurants.

Here's my recommendation for food in ny.

Italian -- long island
chinese -- flushing
korean -- flushing
japanese -- brooklyn
jewish -- long island
pizza - long island
french -- midtown
Portuguese -- long island
german -- long island
hispanic -- the heights and elmhurst queens
bagels -- long island
thai -- upper west side
soul food -- harlem

Last edited:
I think consensus is supposed to be surrounding counties. Nowadays I consider DMV what ever is serviced by WMATA.
Most of the issues started from people who only consider DMV as hood areas, which only left DC and PG. Dumb mentality, but even I had that when I was younger. MoCo was always looked at as just some place where rich people lived.
On the other hand, I'm from PG and never stepped a foot into VA until I was 17. Had no reason to. So I always considered the DC area as just DC and PG since those are the only places I ride the metro. But I frequent Silver Spring, Bethesda, Tyson and Arlington more now so I don't see why it wouldn't. Laurel is in PG so it counts. Once your out Howard county, you're just Maryland. Columbia has more Ravens fans than ******** fans

i personally hate the term "dmv", how you gonna be from three states? i am from montgomery county maryland, silver spring to be exact. it is apart of the washington dc metropolitan area, which has metro rail and bus as a source of mass transport. so, if the metro dont come around your way. you are not part of the "dmv" simple as that :wink:

but suburbs was a great place to grow up, but as an adult city life is great

Last edited:
Son, I lived in Crown Heights for 20 years. Moved to Ridgewood Queens when my kids were born. Didnt wanna raise them where I grew up. I thought I was gonna go crazy when I first moved out here. Soooo boring, nothing to do, didnt feel like a neighborhood at all, just people that lived around each other, and these two places are only 20 minutes away. I even started chain smoking.
If that transition was bad I cant imagine what living in the burbs would do to me.

:lol: imo From Woodbridge to Laurel south/north wise and Fairfax/Bowie west/east wise I consider the DMV.
Not Columbia, Glen Burnie, Annapolis, Fredericksburg, Stafford, Manassas, Reston, Dulles etc........
(just my opinion)

Agreed.

Technically places like Suitland and Landover are the burbs :lol: Folk in here would be in shock if you dropped em off there and told em its the "suburbs"
:lol: There is more crime/gang activity in parts of PG County than in some actual cities.

As for the DMV limits I agree with the above. Columbia, Glen Burnie, etc are considered part of the Baltimore metro area.

Last edited:
Da culdesac >>>

:pimp: I lived in one. My boys house was the center house of the culdesac though... He had the backyard court with the concrete and everything :pimp: :pimp:

Being 7-12 years old in the suburbs is the best thing ever mane. Halloween through christmas + the summer are amazing. So many memories being a little snot nose running around terrorizing peoples yards.

we used to ride our bikes through back yards to cut through the neighborhood. Old heads were ready to shoot our little ***** :lol:

I grew up in a black suburb though, so you might have ran through the wrong backyard with a doberman/rottweiler/pittbull and damn near have to run for your life.

One day we went through some people's yard and the dog broke off the rope :x :smh:

Suburbs though :pimp:

I have family in the city and in the country... But the suburbs was always the best experience to me.

(just my opinion)

Agreed.

:lol: There is more crime/gang activity in parts of PG County than in some actual cities.

As for the DMV limits I agree with the above. Columbia, Glen Burnie, etc are considered part of the Baltimore metro area.

I weep for you guys. I grew up in clinton :pimp:
We ain't have no problems. Lived in forestville until I was 5, moved to clinton right before my baby sis was born.

Moved to Arlington VA for school, but I'm back home now. Thinking about crossing back over that Woodrow Wilson though.

Real talk though, the perfect suburb to raise kids in is Waldorf :lol:

Your kids won't know what crime is until they're 18

Prince George's County, Maryland = Greatest 'Burbs of all time.

Million dollar house full of ratchet people.

Every drug at the tip of your finger.

No matter where you at you're like ~20mins outside of DC at the farthest.

Desperate housewives are very real.

Can't explain it. It's like the perfect suburbs with a crazy twist to it.

Probably because it's like 70% Black 10% Latino 20% White/Asian/Arab.

:wow: hit the nail on the head :lol:

I dont live in suburbs. but i have cousins that do. when im out there its boring. its dead. streets are dead. everywhere around is closed early besides 7/11. Gas stations close early. Everything. Cops are posted up in random spots ready to pull young kids over or black people over.

Cops will harass the f outta u there because there is no real crime that happens over there. So they try to get something going on in their lives of boredom.

Its dark @ night time. You cant see **** in some areas. You will see weird animals such as wolves and coyotes over here in MA.

It sucks. I could never do it.

Bruh... What? :lol:

Last edited:
Bruh... What? :lol:

Maybe I've been in the hood too long cause i understood perfectly what he meant.
When I'm in the city at night there are street lights every where, businesses bars and restaurants still open, billboard lights, headlights, etc.
when I'm driving at night in the burbs Its so dark and desolate i feel like I'm in a Rob Zombie flick about to get got.

when I'm driving at night in the burbs Its so dark and desolate i feel like I'm in a Rob Zombie flick about to get got.
man i hate it when my paranoia kicks in for me too. like i fell safer walking down streets in cities than going out in the total darkness.

why do suburbans like total darkness? 

Grew up in the suburbs moved Lived in the hood for years and back to the suburbs and loving it the peace and quiet.

Last edited:
Spent time in both in the suburb and hood. The suburbs are a lot more quiet than the city. The people there seem to be generally laid back and friendly. The most pronounced difference is the low population of minorities.

man i hate it when my paranoia kicks in for me too. like i fell safer walking down streets in cities than going out in the total darkness.

why do suburbans like total darkness? 

-cities have more money than suburbs.
-cities people walk more than in suburbs.

^

Here's the major difference between the burbs and city (IMO): FOOD

Restaurants in the burbs generally suck compared to the city (Chicago in my case). And nightlife with no drunk driving :pimp:
Quoted and repped due to high level of truth :nthat:

My fiance is from LI and I love visiting her family up there.....We usually go for Christmas and part of the spring/summer.  I drop racks of $$$$ on food every time.  I literally eat out 2 out of 3 meals a day and gain 10 lbs in the process.  Best food in the world, hands down.
Wow, I didn't know people loved LI food so much. Most people feel the better food choices are in NYC. I never take the time to find the good food spots on the Island. I still prefer to go to the city though since my friends know the good spots. I'm happy whenever I eat meals in Koreatown and Chinatown. I love pizza from both the city and suburbs. Dollar slices in the city are more appreciated though.

Back
Top Bottom