What's the Easiest Sport?

Originally Posted by StackJaxx

baseball.

We can argue one sport, or we can argue another.  But there is absolutely no way in hell that baseball is the easiest sport to play.  No chance.

Originally Posted by dland24

Originally Posted by StackJaxx

baseball.

We can argue one sport, or we can argue another.  But there is absolutely no way in hell that baseball is the easiest sport to play.  No chance.
I can not hit underhand pitches. 
frown.gif
.. But, I'm fast though and can catch lol. Baseball is difficult for me at least

Originally Posted by gabers

Originally Posted by Durden7

Dribbling a basketball isnt a requirement to play the sport.  Ive seen MANY people just pass and shoot.

I still cant believe you mentioned dribbling in one sport and not in the other. 
laugh.gif

Soccer is definitely not the easiest to play. i'd have to say basketball is the easiest. Doing a task with your hands is most times easier than
doing a task with your feet.
IE dribbling, passing, shooting with your hands as compared to doing those same things with your feet.
it may be easier to shoot with your hands than your feet accurately but... in terms of difficulty... shooting a basktball with your hands into a tiny rim 10 feet above the ground >>>>>> kicking a soccer ball into a 10 foot high, 15 foot long (????) net that is right above the ground.

So while you are right kicking is harder than shooting with your hands, when you throw in how accurate you have to be for each, the amount more difficulty it is to make in a basketball hoop than a soccer net, outweigh the difficulty of kicking vs throwing

baseball is definitely not the easiest sport, yeah you can play casually having people throwing 50 mph fastballs, but at higher levels people throw breaking balls twice as fast, and fielding i'm sure making a catch 95% of the time or more is easy...

The way Durden wrote it is what I was thinking. It isn't a knock on any of the sports mentioned and if you think it is I think you're missing the point of the thread

Originally Posted by kidoopz

Originally Posted by kidoopz

How can Soccer be easy. that statement has me stumped. At a recreational level, it has to be Football. Flag football? lol.. Just run and get open , or aim and pull at the flag
tongue.gif
.. There end of discussion
So in football all you have to do is run and get open?  Thats it?  Only get open?
Do you see where I put "flag football"  If anyone draws up plays or blocking schemes in flag football then you are just trying too hard lol.  Easiest sport right there. 
Players dont catch the ball in flag football?  Must be a new rule change....
Don't get smart. How hard is it to actually catch a football.  lol.  Your saying soccer is the easiest b/c Majority of kids play it when they are younger?  That makes it the easiest sport? Well that's your opinion and mine sticks with football. "flag" ofcouse
wink.gif

Dont get smart??  Youre the one who left out an obvious part of the game.

You might think its easy to catch a football because you might have been doing it since you were a toddler but in terms of learning the skill its a difficult task.

Yes, that does mean that its an easy sport. 

I understand what people are trying to say here, but soccer techniques are NOT easy to learn. If you never played before you have no idea how hard it is just to get the ball to go where you want it to. Kick the ball into the goal? Easy right? You just gonna smash it? No, you have to hit the ball in the right spot with the correct spot on your foot. Trapping, heading, crossing, just passing in general not as easy as it looks. But at a low level, especially in the US where they teach you how to play soccer as if its just athletically based and barely teach you how to control the ball, I can see how you would say it is the easiest sport.

Originally Posted by Oskar Kokoshka

I understand what people are trying to say here, but soccer techniques are NOT easy to learn. If you never played before you have no idea how hard it is just to get the ball to go where you want it to. Kick the ball into the goal? Easy right? You just gonna smash it? No, you have to hit the ball in the right spot with the correct spot on your foot. Trapping, heading, crossing, just passing in general not as easy as it looks. But at a low level, especially in the US where they teach you how to play soccer as if its just athletically based and barely teach you how to control the ball, I can see how you would say it is the easiest sport.
But see... even then, basketball is easier. The reason soccer is the leading youth sport is because you can put 22 kids on a field at once... and everyone gets to play! Basketball would naturally be more selective, and hence, competitive.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Originally Posted by WearinTheFourFive

Soccer.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

You've never played soccer before. Shooting the ball while running at full speed...being trapped in a corner and still coming away with the ball...making a left-footed cross even though you're right footed...getting past 2 defenders and then curling a shot around a charging goalkeeper...all really easy things to do.

I love football but I think its the easiest sport to get into. If you're big and fat, you can become an OT or D-lineman. If you're athletic and strong you can be a RB, LBer, etc. If you're fast you can be a receiver or play in the secondary. It requires the least amount of skill out of the major sports but it requires a ton of athletic ability.
are you serious bro?  i was totally diggin your response because you are spot on with describing specifics involving the awesome sport of soccer. You obviously know what you are talking about but then you continued to do exactly what many other people have done, which is speak ignorantly about another sport that you obviously know nothing about

bad look

well even if we cant come to an agreement on easiest, i think most would agree baseball is hardest, i think they said

on sports science that hitting a baseball is like the hardest thing to do in sports

I think what's preventing this from becoming a great discussion is that most of us really play just one sport seriously. 

Originally Posted by amel223

I think what's preventing this from becoming a great discussion is that most of us really play just one sport seriously. 

Ive Boxed and played baseball, basketball, and soccer.

the easiest for me was basketball even though I grew up playing soccer.

Boxing was definitely the hardest.

I'd probably go with basketball. I think it is the easiest to pick up on. Football is probably 2nd. You are out of our damn mind if you think baseball or golf is the easiest sport.
laugh.gif
Hitting a baseball is a 100x harder than shooting a basketball or catching a football, at ANY LEVEL.

Can we agree that golf may just be the most FRUSTRATING sport? I love it but man it drives me nuts, such little imperfections or changes in one swing to another and you have wildly different results. Crazy

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Soccer is the easiest sport to be moderately good at, but in terms of anything above that its hard.

Its the easiest at a recreational level.  Thats it.
You could say that for Football, at the rec level (without pads).

Soccer is hard, anyone who says it isn't has never played.  I played at the HS level and that was enough for me.  I should take up the invites I get, since I'm really out of shape and running/jogging does not interest me.  Playing hoops or soccer is the only way to run for me
laugh.gif
frown.gif
Nah, football is MUCH harder to play at a recreational level.  The skills of throwing and catching and more difficult to learn than kicking.

I think football is actually the hardest sport to play recreation wise.

You, are an idiot.  Anyone can learn to throw a football and catch pretty easily.  Now try getting a solid and accurate strike on a ball that is moving faster than you can run, definatly requires alot more skill. 

The easiest sport, since they are played on ESPN, I would say bowling or poker.

All of you saying that soccer is the easiest sport need to leave your towns where soccer is practically nonexistent and come down to Miami and play at a recreational level against some South Americans who are far from pros. You'll all get dogged and laughed off of the field, the soccer that you've played with your friends at the park isn't soccer, what you describe to be moderately good isn't good at all. Durden you say it's just kicking but you're probably the type that thinks you can just blast it into the goal with no effort, I guarantee that if you shot at a goal with a goalkeeper 10 times from outside of the penalty box you would make it maybe once if you got lucky, that's not moderately good at all.

Originally Posted by trey ohh five

All of you saying that soccer is the easiest sport need to leave your towns where soccer is practically nonexistent and come down to Miami and play at a recreational level against some South Americans who are far from pros. You'll all get dogged and laughed off of the field, the soccer that you've played with your friends at the park isn't soccer, what you describe to be moderately good isn't good at all. Durden you say it's just kicking but you're probably the type that thinks you can just blast it into the goal with no effort, I guarantee that if you shot at a goal with a goalkeeper 10 times from outside of the penalty box you would make it maybe once if you got lucky, that's not moderately good at all.

So you are trying to say that because some of us who havent played soccer since high school would get schooled at a high level recreational level in Miami against some good South American players?  Come on bro.  We are talking about the most difficult sport in general. 
Bottom line, is if you are athletic and have good coordination, you are a good soccer player.  The same cannot be said about the other sports.  

Bottom line, is if you are athletic and have good coordination, you are a good soccer player.  The same cannot be said about the other sports.  

No. That would be volleyball. I cant believe no one has said this yet. Anyone who is athletic can play volleyball well enough to be considered decent.

Soccer on the other hand is way too awkward for a person who has never played before.

So you are trying to say that because some of us who havent played soccer since high school would get schooled at a high level recreational level in Miami against some good South American players?  Come on bro.  We are talking about the most difficult sport in general. 
The same can be said about any recreational sport (especially football).

Reasons soccer is the most popular youth sport:
-22 players can participate at the same time
-affordable for everyone
-very simple rules which makes it easy to learn

Anyways, in terms of hardest sports to play IMO (major team sports):
1. Hockey
2. Baseball
3. Soccer
4. Basketball
5. Football

No offense, but I'm not sure if Durden or dland have played much soccer in their lives. To simplify soccer as simply "kicking a ball" indicates a poor understanding of the sport.

You, are an idiot.  Anyone can learn to throw a football and catchpretty easily.  Now try getting a solid and accurate strike on a ballthat is moving faster than you can run, definatly requires alot moreskill. 

The easiest sport, since they are played on ESPN, I would say bowling or poker.
The first "sentence" is funny in so many ways.

You respond the question just like a lot of people in this thread have.  You simplify your answer by saying "anyone can learn to throw a football and catch easily" like its a task that everyone in the world is able to do.  Its a difficult task, but since you and a lot of males have been doing it since he was young it seems easy.  Throwing a football is not a natural motion.  Then you give a precise, exact scenario to try to make my answer seem more difficult.  Not every kick is soccer needs to be solid and accurate.  Theres a lot of room for error in recreational soccer.  Your making your answer biased. 

All of you saying that soccer is the easiest sport need to leave yourtowns where soccer is practically nonexistent and come down to Miamiand play at a recreational level against some South Americans who arefar from pros. You'll all get dogged and laughed off of the field, thesoccer that you've played with your friends at the park isn't soccer,what you describe to be moderately good isn't good at all. Durden yousay it's just kicking but you're probably the type that thinks you canjust blast it into the goal with no effort, I guarantee that if youshot at a goal with a goalkeeper 10 times from outside of the penaltybox you would make it maybe once if you got lucky, that's notmoderately good at all.

Youre going to make an assumption on the sport in general because Miami has a lot of south americans that are good?  Just because you and other people in Miami might get dogged by them doe snot mean the sport is any harder.  Any sport where the opponent is better than you isn't going to seem easy.  Also the level of talent has NOTHING to do with the question.  Just because your recreational level might be more advanced than another areas doesnt mean that the sport is any harder in general.  Soccer is all kicking and running.  Trying to make fun of me by saying I couldnt make 1 of 10 kicks from outside the box with a keeper is a horrible attempt at making your point valid.  It just makes you look bitter.

The same can be said about any recreational sport (especially football).

Reasons soccer is the most popular youth sport:
-22 players can participate at the same time
-affordable for everyone
-very simple rules which makes it easy to learn

Nooffense, but I'm not sure if Durden or dland have played much soccer intheir lives. To simplify soccer as simply "kicking a ball" indicates apoor understanding of the sport.
Your 3rd point helps my case.  If the rules are simple it means the game can be simple.  (Its not a great argument, but it helps my case more than yours)

I played soccer for awhile, so its not like im foreign to the sport.  Soccer is "kicking a ball" and running.  No one has given me a skill or ability in soccer that doesnt fall into either category.  I understand the sport, but those are the basic skills needed.  In order to play the game you need to know the basic rules, how to run and how to kick a ball.  Thats it.  Will it be a great game to watch?  No, but you can still play the game with everyone.

Again, the whole idea of the question isnt "whats the easiest sport to play at a high level", its simply the easiest sport to play. 

Says who? It's the same thing as the other sports, those qualities are only going to get you so far. You need skills and smarts to be considered a good soccer player, same with other sports.

Durden I'm not bitter and I wasn't trying to make fun of you I was just pointing out that your description of the sport is very simplified and flawed and is an indication of how much you truly know about the sport. For someone who has played soccer for almost their entire life as I have the fact that you continue to ignore every other factor that makes the sport as beautiful and as popular as it is worldwide makes you sound like a typical ignorant American that dismisses soccer as a competitive sport to compensate for the fact that they could never conquer it. Using your point of view I can describe Baseball as merely swinging a wooden object to hit a ball. Football as merely throwing, catching, and running with a ball. Basketball as merely trying to get a ball through a hoop. You see where I'm going with this? Any sport can be made to sound like a piece of cake with these types of flawed descriptions. Another thing is that your idea of recreation will also make any sport seem very easy. Obviously if you get a group of guys together that have never played a certain sport that sport is going to seem easy to them, but that goes for any sport not just soccer and it really isn't a realistic scenario at all. No sport is easier than another, every sport has certain specific technicalities that are taught and must be respected by athletes of every other sport, not mocked.

Durden I'm not bitter and I wasn't trying to make fun of you I was just pointing out that your description of the sport is very simplified and flawed and is an indication of how much you truly know about the sport. For someone who has played soccer for almost their entire life as I have the fact that you continue to ignore every other factor that makes the sport as beautiful and as popular as it is worldwide makes you sound like a typical ignorant American that dismisses soccer as a competitive sport to compensate for the fact that they could never conquer it. Using your point of view I can describe Baseball as merely swinging a wooden object to hit a ball. Football as merely throwing, catching, and running with a ball. Basketball as merely trying to get a ball through a hoop. You see where I'm going with this? Any sport can be made to sound like a piece of cake with these types of flawed descriptions. Another thing is that your idea of recreation will also make any sport seem very easy. Obviously if you get a group of guys together that have never played a certain sport that sport is going to seem easy to them, but that goes for any sport not just soccer and it really isn't a realistic scenario at all. No sport is easier than another, every sport has certain specific technicalities that are taught and must be respected by athletes of every other sport, not mocked.
Its difficult to get through to people such as you and the others who are defending soccer so religiously because youve been playing it for your whole life.  You have a biased viewpoint of the sport.  Ive never said it wasnt competitive or a difficult sport to become great.  Ive always said that its the easiest sport to acquire the BASIC skills.

Please use my viewpoint for other sports and youll see what im trying to say.  Baseball isnt just hitting a ball.  It also requires catching the ball and throwing the ball.  No matter what position youre in its a vital part of the game.  Football is catching, running, and throwing the ball, but thats still more skills than kicking.  Basketball involves dribbling (more of a necessity as compared to soccer), catching, and shooting.  Soccer is kicking.

Its not a flawed description.  Its a basic, broken-down view of the sport as a whole.  Im not trying to make it sound like anyone can be great at it, but with a few (or just one) skill you can still be somewhat competitive and play.

You think im mocking soccer?  That couldnt be any farther from the truth.  You might love the sport, but please dont confuse facts with people hating the sport.  I dont hate soccer.  It simply is the sport that requires the fewest amount of skills in order to play.

Back
Top Bottom