What's the gap between Kobe & MJ if the Lakers lose in the Finals?

I said on Twitter (going into the NBA Finals) that the gap between Kobe and MJ is a lot closer than people want to give #24 credit for, but I gotta admit....in thinking about it, that gap may be a little further apart if the Lakers lose vs. the C's.  6-0 in comparison to 4-3 is going to give a lot of people ammo in this debate.  I know we're not allowed to have A vs. B debates and this Kobe/MJ topic has been beaten into the ground.  I don't think I've seen anything posted on the 6-0/4-3 topic, so let's try to keep this OBJECTIVE and civil.  What do yall think? 

I see this getting locked. Hasn't it been made apparent this topic can't be discussed? Plus I don't think the two are as close as the media wants the masses to believe.

There would be no argument that MJ is better if Lakers lose and even if lakers win it still wont be that close imo

You just opened a can of worms DoubleJs.
smh.gif

laugh.gif

its not that close and it wont change with the outcome of the finals IMO...

MJ's supporting casts werent as dirty has Kobe's first 3 titles.  I love 24, think he is the best in the game right now.... but MJ still on another level

Gap isn't even close to begin with.

But aside from these finals Kobe hasn't had a reliable 2nd option all series, this has nothing to do with Kobe personally.

Win or lose (no Mobb Deep) the gap would be a constant.
It doesn't matter if people think it's a sizable one or not.
Kobe falls into the *Jay*If I ain't better than BIG,i'm the closest one*Jay* lane and he MAY forever remain there.

it's not close regardless. MJ has Kobe in pretty much everything across the board (stats, awards, accomplishments.....etc).

But if Kobe loses, this topic should never be brought up again. A loss today would kill any chance of Kobe even being in the discussion of GOAT.

Win or lose, that gap just isn't gonna get much closer. Regardless of how many titles Kobe ends up with, Kobe at his peak just wasn't close to MJ at his peak.

these Finals do not matter.. the gap would be the same whether the Lakers win or loses. Kobe already lost in the Finals as a #1 option, twice if you consider him the #1 option in 04. so it's already impossible for him to achieve MJs perfection.

the key chip for Kobe was last year... finally winning a title as a #1 option cemented him as a top 10 player all time. but anyone who saw Jordan play knows that even if Kobe racks up 10 championships, he's not better than MJ in his prime.. nor is he better than prime Magic. so right now, he's top 10 all-time, the #2 SG of all-time, and a (close) 2nd-best Laker of all-time.. thats probably as high as he will climb.

mj won everytime he reached the finals. kobe lost with one of the best big men in our time in the finals
laugh.gif
not close

And there it goes.. Pandora's box open..

Really F-in hard to compare, HIS AIRNESS vs. BLACK MAMBA...

Gap? What Gap? Both have the same Coach, same role players (Kobe's 1st 3) and same style of play
Plus don't forget that Kobe was second to Shaq in his 1st 3, Hell give MJ a "Shaq" they could have won 9 title
laugh.gif

In my opinion Kobe needs 1 more title to just to be in consideraton for "greatest Laker of all time"
In this generation Kobe is MJ, it's sad to say but I don't consider myself as part of this generation.. I'm just happy to see MJ in his prime

Realistically Kobe needs 7 NBA title If he really wants to surpass HIS AIRNESS, MJ won 6 titles, 1 more than Magic...
So in the end it's still a pretty FAR gap
grin.gif

If they lose, the gapw ill still be far apart.

If they win, the gap will still be far apart just with a lot more hype/questions.

Win or lose, I still think Jordan is the better player in this comparison. You have to take everything into account, & when that's done Jordan holds the spot as the greatest of all time.

Originally Posted by JD617

Win or lose, that gap just isn't gonna get much closer. Regardless of how many titles Kobe ends up with, Kobe at his peak just wasn't close to MJ at his peak.
Yup

But he is the closest thing there has been to Jordan and I don't see anyone else coming as close as Kobe has for a while.

the gap is 4 more mvps 5 more finals mvp

8 more scoring title, dpoy to name a few.

I'm not going to go too far into it, but look up Jordan's stats from the SECOND three peat (which is what we should be comparing at this point in their careers anyways). They're on basketballreference.com. The numbers are not nearly as good as from the first threepeat, and especially not as good as a lot of people probably "remember."

DoubleJs07:
I don't think I've seen anything posted on the 6-0/4-3 topic
#1- Yes, the topic of 'record in the Finals' has absolutely been brought up.

#2- We don't need EVERY aspect of the topic discussed.
wheredeydothatat:
5 rings as the #1 guy on the team
BWAHAHAHAHHAHA

One, possibly 2.

See, if you are going to say he was the #1 option at the beginning of last decade, you have to also acknowledge he was the #1 option in the 2 Finals losses so far, w/ a 3rd loss very possible. So if you can assume a Finals win this year and say '5 rings as #1', you should also be able to assume a loss and say '3 losses as #1'.

But that's all ridiculous anyways. He currently has 1 ring as the #1 option.

Back
Top Bottom