What's your opinion on White parents adopting children of a different race?

Last black girl I talked to (bi-racial), would stay complaining about this. I had never seen it before going to church with her. Frankly I didn't see the big deal.

Last edited:
As a white man, I have always wanted to adopt from Africa or another part of the world.

Give those children a shot at life and help them to the utmost of my ability.

When we lived on the east coast we had children from NYC come stay with us each summer. One was made fun of daily for being fat, the other's mom was a crackhead and slept in the bath tub. Truly shaped who I am for the rest of my life.

It's funny, I have friends that are all colors and shapes... A lot of girls think that I think I'm a "Andrew Wiggins" since I have a lot of black friends. I'm like, uhhh no... We actually have more in common than you think, like playing ball and super into sports. :nerd:

Maaaaaan what?!?! Why you randomly mention Wiggins?

I'm confused

Yall are trippin if yall don't think PART of the reason it happens isn't for show. Yes love is also part of the equation but I believe the " look at how I save the little colored child's life" plays into it as well.

Can't really complain since they're helping a child in need but I do agree that this let me help this poor black child Is also somehow racially drivin.

Not much different then the Hollywood portrayals you see in movies.

White people say some dumb **** when your kid doesn't match you. I'm white my kid is half black. Some of the guesses of who she is are insane. Like the fact that she could be my daughter never crossed their mind.

Moms was white (RIP). She adopted 3 kids as a single mom...2 of us are blk/white and my brother is white. Oh the looks we'd get. :lol:

I couldn't have asked for a better mother. I actually know my birth fam and I can't even really consider them family like that--that's how real and deep that relationship was.

One thing I appreciated about how she did things is that she raised me to be fully aware of race and how I'd be perceived. She surrounded me with strong, black male role models who were father figures for me throughout the years. And I think that's VERY important when adopting kids of a different race. You gotta teach them about themselves, their history, etc. You can't just raise a kid in your culture when they have a whole different side that they can identify with.

Ya won't believe this but I work with a gay white doctor who has adopted 2 black boys. One is a couple month baby. Him and his partner spoil them hardbody. Now the 13 yr olds family wants back in his life trying to play parents and guardians all of a sudden and the doctor is going through it. He said they had that boy running through Harlem streets at 7 all by himself. Didn't care if he went to class or anything.

Never asked why black but I feel it could be a charity case type deal. I mean the doc and his partner try but doesn't mean the kid won't resort back to them street ways.

I always wonder if a black couple has ever adopted a white baby lol

Here's a fascinating article from a few years back on just that subject about a couple in Baltimore. It's a good read.

http://www.newsweek.com/what-adopting-white-girl-taught-one-black-family-77335

Here's the Demarcus Ware case they made reference too

demarcus-ware-wife-welcome-baby-e1319217997814.jpg

demarcus-300x210.png

So many kids out there need good homes....why judge someone for opening their home to someone who needs it?

For as much as yall like to think that there is always some ulterior motive, there are a lot of people who have big hearts and want to make a difference in someone else's life.

A lot of those kids have identity crisis and issues growing up unfortunately. I got a scholarship in highschool that helped me get through college. Not that I am an alumni I am on the board for the same scholarship and I am on the panel to choose new students every year.

On many occasions there are students that are adopted from wealthy white parents. And they always put it on the side that their child doesn't have African Americans friends or involved in the African American community in any way. Also there's a time that they have a reality check that they are black. Usually happens around late elementary school.

I think it's a little but sad and difficult because there are some things that could possibly be oblivious to a white parent that needs to be expressed and taught to a black child. But like everyone else said that's good that the child has the opportunity for a better quality of life.

Nope. Screw the PC nonsense. White ppl for the most part would have no idea how to raise the child. This is why you have children with issues with race & identity that feel like they're separate from what they're a member of. White parents just aren't equipped for a Black child. That's my opinion though.

^wow. Such an ignorant and offensive statement.

Some black people just can't be satisfied. They would have an issue of the family adopted a white child or black child.

Last edited:
If you don't think it's weird for a couple to purposely seek out a baby of another race then your blind deaf and dumb.

Like I said it's still appreciated, but it's something else going on.

I'm not saying they have evil twisted motives but its definitely something to it.

Last edited:
I had a friend in high school whose parents were both Italian and they couldn't have children. Him and his sister were both adopted and either half black or fully black. He was half black and Irish and his sister was fully black. It happens, I mean plenty of adopted Korean children come from white US households that adopted them. I work with two such women at my job.

To my point because I forgot to make it, each of them turned out well. The sister is a nurse and my friend didn't go to college so he became a mechanic. They were both sent to prep schools and were integrating well. But I do live in NYC where we do integrate somewhat better than other areas of the US, at least in school. But we did have some racial issues that spurred up and come to light. Everyone shows their true colors sometimes.

Last edited:
There alot of ignorance in this thread. I had to stay with my white boy's family for a period of time and I will say there are some difference in racial norms.

Something I do remember when I was younger was me wanting to put syurp on my biscuits and it seem like a culture shock to them.

If you don't think it's weird for a couple to purposely seek out a baby of another race then your blind deaf and dumb.

I'm not saying they have evil twisted motives but its definitely something to it.

Differing POV = blind, deaf, and dumb. :smh:

Maybe you should realize that not everyone's situation is the same and motives can be good/genuine during the adoption process.

Not everything in this word has to have an ulterior motive, bro.

Maybe you should realize that not everyone's situation is the same and motives can be good/genuine during the adoption process.

But why another race specifically?

Like, why would a black family walk past all the black children and get a white child?

Last edited:

Like, why would a black family walk past all the black children and get a white child?

Read this article on Demarcus Ware.

Link

Heartbreaking stuff.

Sometimes being a parent is all people want to be...and they don't see color.

Why does it matter? Giving a child a better home and an opportunity in life to succeed and be something is all that matters. Who gives a **** what color they are?

Back
Top Bottom